DIY rug repairs

Horsekaren

Visit site
how do you do yours? my non rug wrecking horse has managed to get rips in both of his rugs, including his rambo :'( one has a small rip on the outer and a few small rips on the inner layer. The other rug has a big rip that has gone through to both layers. Now both are leaking.

I cant get to a repair place for at least a few weeks so im wanting to try it myself.

Can anyone give me some advice, i presume just sewing it up wont make it water proof again :(

Hollychops

Visit site
I saw a post on FB about using iron on denim patches that someone had found on ebay and reproofing them with a spray. Not sure what my OH would say to be ironing rugs in the kitchen though :)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Duct tape stuck on when dry works very well until you can get them repaired......
I agree, I've used this for a couple of days until I could remember to bring a needle and thread.

HK - buy a large curved needle which are known as Upholstery or Leather Needles (see image)

Get hold of some fine fishing line (this is exceptionally strong and also doesn't show up as much as thread)

Find a good light and give yourself plenty of time. I normally take mine home and sit on the kitchen floor propped up by the cooker and give myself at least 30 mins. The floor is vinyl so I can clean it easily after.

Sew with a back stitch if you can as you will find this holds better (see image)

If you have some Gorilla Glue or similar and its not a massive rip just glue along the edge of where you have sewn. This will automatically waterproof the tear.

Have plenty of patience. If you have a large rip or many its tempting to just use large stitches in your haste. But better to take your time and do a neater job. Lasts longer then.

Attachments

• needle.jpg
    needle.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 12
  • backstitch.jpg
    backstitch.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 14

tiahatti

Visit site
My sewing shop sells waterproof patches. I have hand sewn these on. I try to sew as thoroughly as possible - if you know what I mean! They have stayed on. I suppose it depends on the size of the rip/hole.

AFB

Visit site
I saw a recommendation for Tenacious Tape (I think it's intended for things like tent repair) but haven't had need to try it yet.

(Mine usually get ripped beyond repaid when it happens...)

Esmae

Visit site
For repairs on the back of the rugs (where a leak matters) I patch with old rug material stuck on with Stormsure glue. Makes a really good job and lasts years. For other places where a leak wouldn't matter (lower sides) I use my trusty industrial sewing machine and sew up or on whatever is required. I never throw out old rugs. I cut off all good straps and fixings and keep all the fabric for repairing the damaged ones in use.

Squeak

Visit site
I saw a recommendation for Tenacious Tape (I think it's intended for things like tent repair) but haven't had need to try it yet.

(Mine usually get ripped beyond repaid when it happens...)

I tried it on what I thought would be a relatively straight forward rip along a seem and it didn't even last 5 minutes. I may have just done it wrong though :(

Griffin

Visit site
Another vote for Stormsure. I repaired a nasty L shaped tear which has managed to survive washing a reproofing!

Myloubylou

Visit site
Was amazed how cheaply and well the local equine laundry fixed the lightweight rug my mare tore side out of. Despaired was going to have to bin but when I got back was such a tidy job you wouldn’t know and is totally waterproof. Only downside is repairer normally want to clean it first. If I tried to do myself it wouldn’t be nearly as good & id probably save a few ponds

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I cut a piece out of an old rug that would have been thrown away and glue it on with UHU. Lasts for years.

Pedantic

Visit site
For smallish rips, 4" to 6" if the rug is dry, I spray the area with Carpet spray glue, let it go tacky, then stick a few layers of decent 2" Duct Tape over it, criss cross layers for strength, spray glue the area slightly bigger than what you cover with the tape so the edges don't peel.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Was amazed how cheaply and well the local equine laundry fixed the lightweight rug my mare tore side out of. Despaired was going to have to bin but when I got back was such a tidy job you wouldn’t know and is totally waterproof. Only downside is repairer normally want to clean it first. If I tried to do myself it wouldn’t be nearly as good & id probably save a few ponds
My rug lady was the same, my ripped off front buckle was £2.00 to repair! ? and my rug was a brand newish one a friend gave me that didn't fit her giant anymore. Bless her.

little_critter

Visit site
I keep my old 'dead' waterproof coats and cut them up for patches. I sew them with strong button thread (I've only had to do 1 turnout so far so will see how well that lasts)