DIY stables , Breezeblock.

mrfluffyfeet.

Visit site
Ive recently started my own equine therapy centre,The farm I've decided to rent does not have its own stables , they used to have some but knocked them down.
I luckily have a friend who is brickie and is going to build me breeze block stables. I would like to see some photos of some peoples completed stables ? Has anyone else done EXTERIOR breeze blocks stables ?
I live in the west of Scotland and this is why i chose to go with blocks and not wood...
Should i apply wooden kick boards in the stables ?
Can anyone tell me what type of roofs they chose to use also ?
And how can i make them look prettier ?

Thanks in advance , I'm going for two 12x12's and a 12x16 that will be split for my shetland and miniature .

sport horse

Visit site
We have used 9" concrete blocks - the ones with holes down centre and then we have put reinforcing rods and concrete down middle to add strength. I think youmay find breeze blocks are not strong enough to withstand a big horse leaning or kicking on them.

We have painted the inside walls white (waste of time as soon sh...y!) and the outside is clad with feather edge boarding from eaves to about 3' off floor. 3' to ground level is rendered and painted. Roof is tiled.

mrfluffyfeet.

Visit site
my biggest horse is 15hh middleweight cob , i won't be getting anything bigger so hopefully i won't have to worry about kicks knocking them down.
my builder did recommend covering the outdoor walls with the leftover concrete , Thanks !

WelshD

Visit site
My stables (rented) are breeze blocks three sides with a red brick front side which looks pretty. The inside is not kick boarded but is rendered on the bottom half to make it easier to keep them clean. The roof is a proper pitched slate roof

I've heard of weak breeze block stable walks collapsing before so think construction is hugely important

be positive

Visit site
We have used 9" concrete blocks - the ones with holes down centre and then we have put reinforcing rods and concrete down middle to add strength. I think youmay find breeze blocks are not strong enough to withstand a big horse leaning or kicking on them.

We have painted the inside walls white (waste of time as soon sh...y!) and the outside is clad with feather edge boarding from eaves to about 3' off floor. 3' to ground level is rendered and painted. Roof is tiled.

my biggest horse is 15hh middleweight cob , i won't be getting anything bigger so hopefully i won't have to worry about kicks knocking them down.
my builder did recommend covering the outdoor walls with the leftover concrete , Thanks !

Mine are built like sport horse describes but also with deep foundations, the builders were adamant that they would not build anything that could fall down and kill or injure a horse, if they are not built with some reinforcing they will be vulnerable to any kicking or pushing a 15 hand cob will be plenty strong enough to move them, if you are running a yard then your clients are also at risk if they are not properly built.
Someone on here has posted within the last week or two about their horse being seriously injured by a stable wall falling down overnight so it is not just something to dismiss lightly.

catroo

Visit site
My Shetland easily managed to push over the breeze block wall in the shower box, it looked a well built wall but pony had an itch that had to be scratched . . . .

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
As others have said, breeze blocks are not suitable for building stables. Even if you render over the completed wall with a concrete screed. They are far too lightweight, they break & crumble easily & will easily be demolished by a kick or just a horse leaning on them. The blocks to use are concrete blocks, they are more expensive but they are a much better material to use.

Ladyinred

Visit site

Our 15hh Sec D made an excellent job of pushing out the entire back block wall by leaning on it... I really recommend reinforcing rods!

AmieeT

Visit site
Our YO recently built more stables using breeze blocks, and covered the bottom half with wood.

They have withstood a 6yo 17hh monster kicking at them well enough so far! (his old stable was just wood, the corner fell apart as his was the end stable!)

I believe he did them 2/3 deep at the bottom, and less at the top to give them strength.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I second concrete block panels much more stronger than breeze block options. I didn't pain mine but I do wash them down once a week as my mare has a horrible habit of pushing her bum up to the wall and plopping !

gunnergundog

Visit site
Yep! Had a horse on six months box rest and in that time he totally demolished two breeze block walls and made a serious indentation in a third.