DIY YO's: do you charge for lorry/trailers parked at the yard?

Liesel

Visit site
No charge where I livery but they do have a lot of space. That said I where I live (IOM) dont know of any yard that charges for parked trailers/lorries.

kez1001

Visit site
i used to get charged for my trailer being brought out (it was kept in the back of the farm) and put away (£2 back and forward) so £4 everytime i used it, nightmare tbh. new yard no charge

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
To explain a little further, I've got a very small yard, i.e. stables for two horses and some grazing, and don't really have the room for someone's great big lorry which will not only fill up a gateway but also be a bit of a nuisance regarding access to the yard etc. Some people have come to see the facilities and its obviously not suited them as they're really looking for a competition yard with all the stuff like arena, jumps etc (but they basically can't afford that so look at DIY yards and then turn up their noses at it!!!!) - but it will be a bit of a dilemma if someone comes along with a lorry they want to keep at the yard, and I shan't know what to do!

cherylmills

Visit site
I pay £2 p/w to store my 3.5t lorry - Y/O said this was due to the added 'responsibility' of it being there - still not quite sure how he works that out seen as it's DIY and he only turns up once a month to collect the rent!?

Yard down the road charges £5 p/w so I guess mine isnt too bad :)

miss_c

Visit site
I pay £2 a week for my lorry. One yard I went to look at wanted £20/month. Last yard I was at trailers were free but lorries were £10/month.

CBFan

Visit site
Ours charge a fiver a month but I keep mine in a barn at home instead.

I would sugest that if it is going to cause you a nuisance you either tell them to keep it somewhere else or charge them through the nose for it. even a fiver a week is nothing really....

galaxy

Visit site
We have some parking, but it's 1st come, 1st served.

She doesn't charge anymore though. This is because the hay barn burned down a few years ago and my trailer was damaged (panel melted due to heat). When I called the BHS legal helpline they said that because I was paying the yard manager was liable.

I didn't persue that and just went through my own insurance because I wanted to stay and not make a fuss when they were already dealing with a lot!

But, just so you're aware, if you charge and something happens to that lorry, you will be liable!

SecretSquirrell379

Visit site
I don't pay at the yard I'm at now but my old yard used to charge £25 per month to park your lorry/trailer there. I have room at home so used to bring it home but now I park it down there, much easier if I have to go straight from work to a competition :D

lizzie_liz

Visit site
The yard where we did keep our trailer charged £1 a day, which seems very high compared to everyone else. However it was worth it, it was hidden away on the farm and there was very good security on the yard. The time we did move it off the yard, when we moved house, it was stolen!!

sugarpuff

Visit site
I don't pay anything to park my trailer at the livery yard. Although it is next to the hay barn so maybe I should get it insured.........!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
As a yard owner, yes i do charge to park lorries or trailers max 20 per month! with a signed declaration that no responsibility is taken! it does increase the burglary aspect on the liability section of a commercial policy! ask around for caravanning parking i thinke youi will find it a tad more expensive............ and still with a no responsibility clause! but hey you ALL have a choice park the lorry or trailer on your own drive!!! hey no charge.

CrazyMare

Visit site
YO doesn't charge anything, even so, mine is at home, but thats because we used it for other things too.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone .... emm, just to clarify - IF I charge someone for storing their trailer/lorry, and something happens to it such as damage or its stolen, if they're paying that makes me liable? But if I don't officially "charge" them, but its a sort of grace & favour arrangement but no formal charge, and they sign its at their own risk, then I'm not liable?

Can someone clarify? I'm probably being ultra thick.

Spit That Out

Visit site
Our yard charges £1.50 a week to store trailers and horse boxes inside (old hay barn) and it's free to keep them outside.

There are approx 30 trailers and 4 lorries on our yard.

My last yard was free but there were only 10 of us and only a couple of trailers between us.

There are a couple of people who take their trailers home...I myself keep mine at home on the drive as i don't trust the numptys or the farmer not to hit it!!!

When you see some of the muppets trying to reverse their trailers you would cringe...The farmer is no better, wizzing around in his CAT and tractors...he's already taken out the muck heap wall, numerous wheelbarrows and reversed a hay trailer in to his own 4x4!!!

inkiboo

Visit site
I think that what you get should influence price - under-cover parking, or secured parking (designated locked area) warrants a higher fee than parking in a corner of a yard. To the OP, ultimately if you haven't got the space to park a big vehicle, don't let one come! Resenting a livery before they arrive won't be productive!

bonnie93

Visit site
my old yard didnt charge anything, yard now charges £2.50 pw for trailers, £3 for small boxes (e.g 3 1/2ton) and £5 for large lorries, nothin bigger than 7.5tons tho lol