DM in GSD

vannersrus

Visit site
Hi
I was wondering if someone could advise?
If one parent is a DM carrier and the other isn’t will the offspring be clear ?
Thanks in advance!

SAujla

Visit site
I think offspring won't be affected but might be carriers, so if you want to breed going forward you'd have to make sure the other dog was tested clear.

Moobli

Visit site
It depends whether the other parent is clear or affected.

Attachments

• 7B06E4E5-807F-4BF0-86F0-667DAFB8D3B0.png
    7B06E4E5-807F-4BF0-86F0-667DAFB8D3B0.png
    671.1 KB · Views: 5

Moobli

Visit site
One parent is clear . If one is a carrier does it give an increased risk of actually getting it ?

Simply put, if one parent is clear and one is a carrier, it should result in pups who are either clear or carrier, so none should go on to develop the disease. IF it were that simple …

As you are probably aware, DM is believed to be an autosomal-recessive condition ie dogs have to inherit two copies of the DM gene mutation (one from each parent) to increase the risk of developing this condition. However the disease isn’t completely understood (there are thought to be environmental and other genetic predispositions that may contribute) and there is actually a question mark over the test itself. Other factors that influence whether or not a dog is affected by this condition means that having two copies of the recessive mutant gene does not necessarily always result in clinical disease and similarly an absence of the gene is not a guarantee that the condition will not occur.

For a small donation to GSD Rescue the GSD Breed Health Coordinator will check both parents pedigrees and look for any other potential health issues to take into consideration.

Moobli

Visit site
I did that OP. Got an amazing amount of info from it. The depth and detail was amazing. Suggested by Moobli! :D:D

I always do it before getting a pup and when my own dog sired a litter too. Chris has an absolute wealth of knowledge. So glad you found it useful too Paddy ?.
OP I’ve PM’d you the contact details.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
one of the great things about this forum is knowledgeable people sharing their experiences. i have learnt so much about other breeds. i mostly have mixed breed dogs ,lurchers and terriers and the only purebred kc registered one was my deerhound, my favourite breed..

Moobli

Visit site
Also worth remember that each fertilisation is an independent action, this means that the percentages mentioned is for each puppy, and not for the litter.
For instance mating two carriers doesn’t mean that 25% of the litter will end up being affected (or “at risk” as it more correctly is). It means that for each puppy, there is 25% chance of being born with two affected genes (and therefore of course being “at risk”).