Do all insurers exclude following a claim?

comet!

Visit site
I had a claim in May last year for bruising, and when my policy is due to be renewed next month I have an exclusion for any lamness in that leg. Claim was around £700.

I'm currently with Animal Friends, and have been for two years. Does anyone know if there are any insurers that do not put exclusions on following a claim? I was thinking of changing anyway, but wondering if I'll have more problems if I go elsewhere.

Horse is only insured for a minimal amount and it is only really the vets fees that I am insuring for, but if anyone knows an insurer that will cover tack in an alarmed tack room that would be a bonus, as AF won't insure it due to it not being a five lever mortice lock despite alarm being linked to YO's house.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
They will all exclude for specific pre-existing illness/injury or for specific claims.
However some companies are a bit lax with their wording, so may exclude a whole limb instead of a specific area/injury - these braod blanket exclusions can normally be narrowed down to specific exclusions with a bit of persuasion.

comet!

Visit site
Thanks. I think excluding the whole leg for what essentially was a nasty overreach injury is a bit extreme. I'll try and haggle with them but based on the claim experience itself, I doubt I'll get anywhere :-(

DorothyJ

Visit site
Hi Comet! Please update us as to how you get on. I am currently in midst of arguing extent of exclusions with Animal Friends as well. Good luck!

dianchi

Visit site
If it was an external injury ie a cut you shouldn't get much, if you want any help with letters etc pm me as I used to work for petplan and know the "right" wording that should get exclusions lifted :)

Suby2

Visit site
I am with PetPlan and they had excluded both of my pony's front legs - ligaments and tendons - following a check ligament injury to her near fore. A year after the exclusion came into force and following consultation with PetPlan my vet examined her, confirmed she was sound and that she had not been treated for lameness since the injury. PetPlan then amended the exclusion to just cover the original problem.

Elbie

Visit site
If your horse had an overreach injury that affected internal structures (such as tendons, ligaments) then I can understand the exclusion. However, if it was just basically a cut then it seems a bit much to exclude the leg, I wouldn't exclude at all! (and I work in equine insurance).

frostyfingers

Visit site
My horse had mud fever this time last year, and when my policy came up for renewal any mud fever, on any leg, was excluded which I felt was a bit tough. When I contacted them I was advised that if there was no mud fever claim for the year then that exclusion would come off.

comet!

Visit site
If it was an external injury ie a cut you shouldn't get much, if you want any help with letters etc pm me as I used to work for petplan and know the "right" wording that should get exclusions lifted :)
Thank you! It was deep bruising so no cut. The claim is still waiting to be fully paid, so once (or if) I receive the balance of thr money then I think I'll query excluding his entire leg.
Hi Comet! Please update us as to how you get on. I am currently in midst of arguing extent of exclusions with Animal Friends as well. Good luck!
It might just be I've been unlucky with them. Someone else I know had lots of claims with their horse and no issues with settling, however I'm insure what her exclusions were like.

If your horse had an overreach injury that affected internal structures (such as tendons, ligaments) then I can understand the exclusion. However, if it was just basically a cut then it seems a bit much to exclude the leg, I wouldn't exclude at all! (and I work in equine insurance).
It was deep bruising and some swelling, but I still think it's a lot to exclude his entire leg for one accident which occured by avoiding someone in a warmup who didn't want to ride left to left and thought they would ride at me.

I'm with Amtrust. Very good experience twice now with claims. Exclude on specific items on vetting and previous claims only not a whole limb.
Thanks, I'll try a quote from them if I don't get anywhere with mine. Happy to have his injury excluded for a year, but not happy with entire leg.