Do any of you recommend use of supplements for general old age stiffness?

Tarragon

Visit site
I have tried doing searches on this topic to see if it has been discussed before but I feel it is one of those topics that is a bit of a moving target as new developments are made.
I also haven't discussed this with a vet as I feel that at the moment it is just old age - he is probably an equivalent age to me so I understand what it feels like to need time to get going!
I have a 22 year old Exmoor pony that is still regularly ridden and driven, but in light work. He lives out all year round (in the winter he has access to a 10 acre field) and has open access to stables at all times. He grows a coat like a yak in the winter and he has a small bib clip to help prevent heating up when ridden and isn't rugged. He gets Thunderbrooks chaff and basemix daily and a wedge of hay to supplement grazing when he is hungry. He has been on one tablet of prascend daily for Cushings for the last 4 years. He is well in himself and not lame, BUT, he starts off a little stiff and with a short stride, not helped by the fact that 90% of our rides start off riding down hill, and takes time to warm up. He recently came back from a 15 mile tough ride (as in hard terrain and hilly) and was stiffer than usual the following day, so I think I overdid it that time, but it also has made me wonder if I should be doing something to help.
I am not normally one for supplements, for me or for the ponies, but I am wondering if there is anything on the market, either herbal or not, that may be useful? It will be very difficult for me to gauge how effective any supplement is as I don't suppose I am very demanding of him in the first place.
The alternative is to just make allowances for him and keep going as we are.
What do people think?

Last edited:

Tarragon

Visit site
He’s a good age, I’d be getting a vet out for a check over.

He may well be getting a bit arthritic, and if so the vet may suggest popping him on a regular dose of Danilon/bute. IME horses tolerate this well.
This is the question, I wasn't sure when to involve the vet.
Do people only use something like Bute if they know they are going to ride?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Many happy pasture ornaments live out comfortable lives on a daily sachet of bute/Danilon. I have no issue in keeping a horse in light work on a daily dose as long as it is with vet’s approval for a diagnosed issue. Light work is very beneficial for its general health if the horse is capable of it.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
My Pepsi, 31, came to me 5 years ago, barely able to walk due to arthritis. He couldn't have his feet picked out as hed just rear.

To cut a long story short, I gave him very high strength Devils Claw, and used magnetic strips on his knees. He now comes out for two hour hacks with us. Obviously I would have got the vet in if this failed. X Hes on nothing now.

holeymoley

Visit site
My guy was quite stiff to begin with in the mornings and getting in and out his stable(it was a tight turn in) I have him on Maxavita maxaflex, I’m sure it’s doing something, he’s super flexible and not as stiff at all. I also have him wearing equimagnetix bands overnight as we’re at that time of the year when his legs fill being stood in. They’ve definitely decreased in size in the morning.

Tarragon

Visit site
As he is out all the time, he is getting that gentle exercise all the time. Presumably Devil’s claw doesn’t need a prescription?