do any of you ride before work?

ABE

Visit site
Just a general asking, If you do ride before work what time do you get up, how far away is your yard etc? just trying to be realistic if my new plan is madness or not

Sneedy

Visit site
Yes I do! I tend to get up at about 6.15am, yard is 20mins away, normally on by 7.15am, ride for about 45mins, back in the car at 8.30am home and in shower by 9, out the door at 9.30! Do this about 3 times a week, providing my diary allows, obviously if I'm away with work or need to leave earlier I either get up at stupid o'clock or don't ride.

Must say riding for work sets me up for the day and I find I'm more productive.....weird I know ;)!!!!

lex2501

Visit site
When there is enough daylight I do. It involves getting up at 5.30 to be on board at 6am though - yuk!

Luckily my horses are at the end of my garden otherwise it would be impossible. Having said all that, I over stretched myself last season so I will try and take a more relaxed approach this year and only do it in the run up to important events etc as it is exhausting! But it is such a great start to the day being on board whilst the sun is coming up :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
yes, up at 6.30.. dress, juice and out the door (anything pre 6.30 seems too early!) Horse about 10 mins away so there by 7 on horse by 7.15 ride until 8-8.15, in change clothes and in work for 9.30 latest.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Nope. Too dark and I have no facilities. I am at the stables by six, home by 6.40 thats just for mucking out/haying etc. Then home, shower, leave house by 7.10-7.20 and in work by about 7.45.

Then I leave work at about 4.25, which should pay off in a few weeks when I can start riding on the roads after work - will be hopefully sneaking a ride in this afternoon if I cna make a site visit go quickly! :)

bounce

Visit site
I do, at least twice maybe 3 times a week.

Luckily I live on site but I don't have any facilities so I have to wait until its light enough to ride out around the lanes. I get up at 6.45, muck out two stables and aim to be out the gate at 8am. Earlier if the light allows. I ride for an hour, finish off feeds when I get back and turn out. Have a quick shower and am in work around 10am.

I also find I have a better day at work after riding in the morning.

I only do this through the winter though and I struggle if the weather is bad, ie too icy, or too wet. I don't have enough time to wait for the horse to dry off before turning out so can't afford to go out in pouring rain as he won't dry in time to be rugged up to go out.

lex2501

Visit site
So jealous of you all with nice working hours! I have to be in the office by 8.15-8.30 ish, and rarely leave before 6pm, with a 1 hour commute each way :(

Tallante

Visit site
Yes, 3 times a week for most of the year but have given up trying in January and in past week or so due to ice/snow/roadworks.

Up at 6.25 and grab a banana as I can't eat anything else at that time of the morning. Less than 25 minutes to yard; ride and finish by 0810. Then I get some breakfast in the yard kitchen, get changed and leg it to free parking space 15 minutes away; followed by 10 minute dash to station to catch train. 40 minutes to London.

If all goes to plan I'm in the office by 10:10 and out again at 7 to reverse the trip and collect the car. 15 minutes in the car and home by 08:45 to start or check on the dinner (sadly my OH is a poor cook but he does know how to switch the oven on).

Oh to be young again ... I'm sure it would be easier to get out of bed in the mornings.

Ali16

Visit site
As soon as there is a bit more daylight, yes! My eventers do their fittening work in the mornings. Nothing better than watching the sun rise from the Ridgeway at a good gallop! :)

On the horse at 5.45am if only riding one, but if doing two (as usual) I'm on at 5.15am.

At the moment I'm just riding after work but soon I'll have an extra 2 to do so will be in the morning and in the evening. Glutton for punishment!! :)

squiz22

Visit site
Me too.. more so in the summer because its nicer and I can do a quick loop round the roads.
It takes a strong cup of coffee and a bit of motivation.
I see at least 3/4 others at my yard doing the same thing. Some are on board and in the school at 6!

imr

Visit site
yes, usually do mornings. Up about 6:20, leave home about 6:40 and at yard just before 7, on just after 7 and leave yard by 8, leave home by 8:30, in office at 9:30, if I am doing one. If I am doing two then get there about half an hour earlier, up just before 6, but I do find that really tough at this time of year as everything takes longer with layers etc.

I live about 10 mins from the yard, breakfast is either something eaten in the car, on the way to the station or at work, and I get dressed rather fast (usually put clothes out the night before - sad but saves a few minutes!). At the yard I save time by using boots rather than bandages and riding in gaiters and short boots rather than putting long boots on. I'm pretty quick and efficient and I don't chat.

I swear by my lumie bodyclock alarm clock thing in the winter. It has a light which glows about half an hour before the wake time and by the wake time it is fully lit up so you wake gently. I need a noise alarm to actually get me out of bed but it means I am pretty much awake when the noise happens - it makes it much easier to wake up and I feel ok - used to feel sick when I woke from heavy sleep in the dark.

Supanova

Visit site
Yes, although not for past few days with -5 temperatures and ice everywhere! I'm lucky as my horses are at home. I ususally get up at 5.45, on the horse by 6.30, finished riding by 7.30. Breakfast, shower, leave for work at 8.

helencharlie

Visit site
Yes, yard is about 15 mins away from home. Up at 0600 out of the house by 0630, plan to be sitting on Charlie by 0700. aim to be home from yard at the very latest by 0930. Will either school or hack in the mornings. I love riding out first thing in the morning, feels like that you have had a very productive day.

j1ffy

Visit site
Yes, twice a week. Horse is stable-kept and on livery so I don't have any 'chores' and the grooms would wash him off if I needed them to (the joys of living in a country with a cheap workforce available...) but I always do it myself.

Get up at 5.30, quick breakfast then 30 min drive so I get there by 6.20 and I'm on by 6.50. School for 40-45 mins (no hacking here!), shower and change at the yard, half an hour to work and I'm there by 8.30. It all works as long as there's no chatting, but generally there's no one else around anyway!!

Jules19

Visit site
Yes. Up at 5.30, breakfast for me, cats and chickens, out the door at 6.10. Arrive at yard 6.30, feed, muck out and pooh pick two of them. Tack up and on board by 8, arrive at work in the 9am region ;). I have zero motivation to ride after work, it just doesn't happen, but I suspect that is something to do with working in racing all my working life!

Hedwards

Visit site
since i have had a rideable horse again I havent ridden before work, however I used to in the past, mainly during the summer, particularly during hot weather as it was always far more comfortable to ride.

Ours tend to be out over night and in during the day during the summer, so I'd get all my jobs done in the evening, roll onto the yard for 7.00am ish, fetch in, ride for 30 minutes or so, change at the yard and head to work for about 8ish.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, I used to. Got up about 5.30, horse across the road down a long farm drive. Threw on the tack and went for a ride - no schooling facilities - got back into house by 7.30 ish, which was time to change and drive to work.

Didn't do it for long though, and it was summer, then moved the horse to further away but better facilities.

Lisamd

Visit site
Yeap most mornings. Up at 6.50am at yard by 7.30am, feed and muck out on first one by 8-8.10am 45 min school or hack, chuck them out and home for 9-9.15am (work from home) if they are in I'll ride another in my lunch hr. Hate riding after work in the winter, just want to curl up in the warm after I've done evening stables :)

lex2501

Visit site
lex2501 I totally sympathise, your hours and commute are very similar to mine! I dream of a job closer to home so I could ride in the week.

To balance it, I do get a very healthy 30days vacation, and work from home 1 day most weeks so I shouldn't complain too much! And without the job there is no way I could afford to event 2 horses!!

mudmonkey17

Visit site
No dont ride before work as work 13 hour shifts with an hour commute either end. Leave home at 6.15 and am too lazy to get up at 4am to go to yard beforehand :)

This is only 3 days a week though so can ride 4 days a week. More if on night shifts x

Llanali

Visit site
I'm another in envy of some of the hours you guys do!!

I need to be on route to office by 7.45 and I get back between 6.30 and 7pm.

I have two to look after- on yard by 6am- its ten mins drive. I do exercise class at 6.30 three days so on yard by 5.15. Those days I cannot ride in the mornings, but sometimes do the other days- in which case I need to be on a 6am with at least one mucked out and all waters etc done.

I often ride in the evening when I get to yard, so normally school at around 7.15/7.30. Home by 9 usually to make supper.

Tbh I'm beginning to feel
I have taken on too
Much, I'm exhausted.

JGC

Visit site
We're not allowed on the yard until 7, so I get up at 6.15, leave at 6.45, get to the yard at 7, tack up and ride one, turn both of them out and leave yard - if on time I leave at 8.30 to have a shower and change at home and out by 9 or if I'm running late I shower at the yard. I have an hour's commute so I get home around 8-8.30 p.m. depending on whether I have to change rugs/dole out supplements - I seem to see more of my OH than I did before! It's true that you feel like you've been very effective when you've ridden in the morning and I am less stiff for riding in the morning, as I haven't been hunched over a computer screen for nine hours prior to getting on. A big plus for me is also that I no longer have to worry about getting stuck in traffic or at work and not being able to ride. Plus I'm a nervous ninny, but I don't have time to worry in the morning.

alex2

Visit site
Yes, 5:50 amevery weekday, horses 1 mile away, drive takes 2 mins. Feed, muck out, turn out those I'm not riding then riding out roughly 7am with every hi viz accessory and lights I can attach this time of year. However this week I have finally had to give in to the snow and ice so not riding this week! You do see some fantastic sunrises riding this early!

Potato!

Visit site
How do you guys manage it in winter if you have no facilities? Its the reason i dont but would be good to get some ideas.

SpottedCat

Visit site
Yes, in the winter I do, but as I am the boss I have a much more leisurely life than everyone else on this thread! Alarm goes off at 6.30, crawl out of bed at 7-7.15, breakfast, get to yard between 8 and 8.30, muck out whilst horse is having breakfast, groom, tack up and get on for 9am, ride till 10, chuck horse out, put bed down, leave yard and home by 11am.

In the summer I rarely do as I work much harder and am often in work at 2am, so then I ride whenever I happen to be passing the yard - I just slot it in!

BombayMix

Visit site
I would love to ride before work as afterwards I just never have any *buzz* about me to get out and ride :eek:

I currently am up at 6:16am (don't laugh at the 16 - that 1 min seems to make getting up so much better than 6:15!!) :D and feed/hay/water/muck out 2 horses, also sort chooks, cats, fish and guinea pigs and leave for work at 7:45. Would need to be up so much earlier to make the length of ride worthwhile (and to ride both)