Do blue and whites normally grey out?

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Just saw this lovely young horse on DD

horse50579-2.jpg

and it got me wondering.

Do you think he will grey out or do some blue and whites stay that way?

(I assume they grey out but could be wrong)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think he will go white and fairly quickly too - probably about four years. Someone I know bought one very similar about three years ago and he is nearly white now. I also used to be on a yard with a white pony called patch, which I never understood until they bathed him and you could see the different skin colours underneath.

Barney&Buzz

Visit site
At 3 1/2yo my mare was darker than the boy in the ad, now at 5 she is totally grey apart from her knee's and half a dark mane.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Daughters riding a blue and white pony at the moment he's 10 and when clipped he's grey but now his summer coat is coming through he's going blue and white again!!!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Blue and white is just a silly term for grey's which also have a coloured/pinto gene. The horse in your photo is a grey tobiano and yes, his grey patches will grey out.

PS. The terms lemon and white and tri coloured also bug me. :p Oh and chocolate palomino. ;)

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Blue and white is just a silly term for grey's which also have a coloured/pinto gene. The horse in your photo is a grey tobiano and yes, his grey patches will grey out.

Yes I know, but they dont seem to like saying 'grey and white' lol. The same as the way they call chesnut and white 'red and white' and everything with even the slightest overo gene is a blagdon!

My boy, in sig below, is a tovero, tobiano with sabino :)

Beausmate

Visit site
Some do, depends if they have the grey gene. The nice horse in your pic will grey out I think.

This chap won't. He's a blue blagdon, so basically roan (sort of!) and his base coat is a chocolate brown and black. He looks very grey in the summer. I'd love to know what colour he actually is! Faracat? :D

Please excuse the minging tail!

ridefast

Visit site
We had a blue and white pony on loan years ago, he would go white every time he had a coat change but then go back to being blue and white, still blue and white last time I saw him going on 30

EstherYoung

Visit site
Depends on whether they are roan and white, or grey and white.

The chap in the pic is grey & white.

This is our 'blue and white' LOL. I was convinced he was going to stay dark, but no....:
21248_4734682005779_1019408779_n.jpg

Hack30-5-08013.jpg

106_6075155731_8690_n_zps6375ea53.jpg

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Some do, depends if they have the grey gene. The nice horse in your pic will grey out I think.

This chap won't. He's a blue blagdon, so basically roan (sort of!) and his base coat is a chocolate brown and black. He looks very grey in the summer. I'd love to know what colour he actually is! Faracat? :D

Please excuse the minging tail!

Blagdon is just another name for sabino. It is nothing to do with the true roan gene, although sabino does cause 'roaning.'

If you imagine him without the white hairs, would he be bay?

kerrieberry2

Visit site

PS. The terms lemon and white and tri coloured also bug me. :p Oh and chocolate palomino. ;)

I saw a horse yesterday advertised as yellow dun. looked palomino to me??? is yellow dun an actual colour????

Beausmate

Visit site
Blagdon is just another name for sabino. It is nothing to do with the true roan gene, although sabino does cause 'roaning.'

If you imagine him without the white hairs, would he be bay?

I know-'sort of' roan. :D

He's not bay under there, his winter coat shows it up best. His tail is silver (when it's clean :eek:) but he doesn't come out well on pics. Here's the best I've got of his winter colour.

He's got a few spots and stripey hooves too.

Lyle

Visit site
I would say yes, as the blue patches are the 'colour' (not white) part that is greying out. If the horse carries the grey gene, then it will grey out and go white :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I know-'sort of' roan. :D

He's not bay under there, his winter coat shows it up best. His tail is silver (when it's clean :eek:) but he doesn't come out well on pics. Here's the best I've got of his winter colour.

He's got a few spots and stripey hooves too.

Sorry - I didn't explain well. The silver tail is caused by the sabino too. Are there any non white hairs in the tail? If yes, what colour? What colour are the non white mane hairs? What colour are the non white body hairs?

He honestly could be bay under there. :) If the dark mane and tail hairs are chestnut, then that would indicate that he is chestnut based. As you described him as 'chocolate' it's unlikely that he is black based.

sandi_84

Visit site
According to my mum's mare's passport she had large blue patches - now at 12 you can only see them when she has her summer coat and they are pretty faint.
I don't have a very good pic of her but you can just see it on her hind leg - this is still winter wooly time:
SAM_0210_zpsfe50292a.jpg

catdragon

Visit site
Yes - my blue & white girl only shows her patches when clipped or bathed. Her muzzle has dark areas around the pink nose and apart from that she's totally white - looks almost ethereal when she's bathed and drive as she has a beautiful silver sheen to her :D