Do buyers actually believe an honest seller

nix123

Visit site
With me having 3 kids all at different stages of riding i've sold some ponies and horses in the past. Ive always been totally honest even down to the worst points imo of the animal. I only tell them what we have done with them if they ask i'll say the old owner said its done blah, but i have only done blah blah with it. At the end of the day you only get 1 chance with any child and i'm not going to put any of mine at risk so if the horse/pony has lived at mine they must be safe to a degree. When buying one though i dont trust a word in what the seller tells me! I'd rather find out for my self at least then i know the truth. I like to see it ridden, then my friend who's small will ride it and test it before my kids go anywhere near.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
When I've sold, I told the truth and the buyers have come back months later to say the horse was exactly as I described.
If buyers want a robot, buy a motorbike, not a horse.

foxy1

Visit site
I don't think people take in to account as much as they should how much a change of routine/ feed/ work/general handling can change a horse. ...

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
When I've sold, I told the truth and the buyers have come back months later to say the horse was exactly as I described.
If buyers want a robot, buy a motorbike, not a horse.
But they don't understand that, they have been riding robots. Had one girl came , beautifully schooled rider, but burst into tears when he napped [stopped] at his field and she wanted to get off! Refused to tap him with the schooling whip I had provided for just such an occasion. I told parents he was not for a novice before they came. They told me she wanted something more interesting to bring on than their current plod.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I find riding a horse that I might buy in front of its owner like doing my driving test in car where the brakes may or not work .., v stressful... So I understand not wanting to tap an unknown animal with a whip...

Tobiano

Visit site
I bought an expensive horse that turned out to be a rearer, big time, and that has rather coloured my view of how honest people are when selling. I have been to see many that were in my view not fully sound or at least giving me cause for concern - e.g. not being able to strike off on left canter, walking with stiff back end, joints clicking, you name it, and when you mention it to the seller it is either 'oh thats never happened before' / 'lots of horses make a clicking noise' /'she just needs a bit of working in'. I never believe those and make my excuses and get out of there… but the poor creatures probably end up somewhere.

Having said that, my latest purchase has been all the seller said he would and better. I've had to treat him for thrush, lice and feather mite but temperament and conformation wise he is simply perfect. I did take him on a 4 week trial though - I know there are pros and cons to a trial but it made a lot of sense to both of us and she had seen me ride so I guess didn't think I would trash him in 4 weeks if things didn't work out.

So back to original question, I think many buyers will not trust any seller!

khalswitz

Visit site
Doesn't necessarily make it right though ;-)

Have you ever met an Icelandic? They are bred to carry huge men for miles. As long as they are fit enough, it's no problem for them - it's what they are bred for and have done for hundreds of years (YouTube tolt racing if you've never seen it) Size doesn't equal strength - I'd trust a 13-13.3hh Icelandic or Highland type more than a 15.2-16hh TB with big weights. Height and weight carrying ability don't go hand in hand at all.

And technically, going down that route, it's probably not right to ride horses full stop!

Rollin

Visit site
I rarely advertise but have already turned down an offer of £5K for a 3 year old Shagya filly, because I thought the home was not right for her.

She has now been lightly backed, 4 years old, another interested buyer but the home must be right.

I am happy to declare every vet treatment received by a horse for sale and all their 'quirks'. Two of mine hate injections.

I will also warrant horses free from kick, bite, rear.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I find riding a horse that I might buy in front of its owner like doing my driving test in car where the brakes may or not work .., v stressful... So I understand not wanting to tap an unknown animal with a whip...
I was standing by her side, I did not suggest she do anything other than tap, if she is not able to kick what do you suggest, just sit there? She was a child, and burst in to tears. I am not going to let people ride my horse and get off just because he is standing still!
If the person is capable I leave them to it after a few instructions, but as I say, most cant ride and just don't know it.

Last edited:

littleshetland

Visit site
Good thread this! A friend some years ago bought a 3yo conn X from a gypsy horse fair (she felt a bit sorry for her, but there was something about her....) and paid around £400.

The dealer gave her all the flannel about it (of which we did not believe one word), but she bought it anyway. Long story short - she sold her 6-7 years later for £20,000. Gut instinct can serve you well sometimes.

maisie06

Visit site
My friends 13hh carries 17st doing endurance, 3ft hunter trials, hacking etc... Has done since a 7 year old, now 25...

It's an Icelandic. No problem.

Don't judge until you've seen the pony.

This ^^^ Our native breeds, such as Highland Fells and Dales were bred as all round ponies, capable of carrying a man as well as being able to be harnessed up for farm work, Unfortunatly the show ring demands our natives to now look like sports ponies and these qualities will soon be hard to come by. Icelandic HORSES on the other hand are one of the toughest, most agile breeds known to man and will not stuggle to carry a fully grown adult at all.....

Adele1D

Visit site
Some people are disgusting. My friend ended up buying a pony which had been drugged on each occasion she viewed it. They even let her children sit on the mare. She was not rideable when brought and had to be given to a sanctuary in the end - best place for her as she had so many problems. It was not a dealer. I trust no one, go on your gut instincts, and take every precaution. Even the most kind, welfare protesting, sincere looking people can be evil. I found this the hard way and had to go through courts.

Even the most kind, welfare protesting, sincere looking people can be evil.

Agree Turtlebay69. My friend bought a horse from well known dealer who is supposed to be absolutely trustworthy (VC of BHS!!!) and found that the poor horse was buted up to the eye balls. Trust no one when buying a horse and always have it vetted. My friend followed all the right procedures rode him on the road, in the school had 5 stage vetting was totally honest about what she wanted to do with the horse, I compete for her and she does the slow work as she is in her fifties and prefers to do the slow work nowadays. She still got caught. Vet was furious with the dealer when blood test came back positive for NSAID's.

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Would you go and look at a horse that sounded perfect for you, honestly described and priced or would you suspect the seller was lying and disregard it
Not a single taker not even a viewing

This is interesting because if, hypothetically, I was horse shopping and saw a good advert I would at least ring up and go see that way you can get a feel for the horse and the seller I wouldn't just discount the advert at face value. Then again there is a horse for sale at work that no one has even bothered to come see yet either.

windand rain

Visit site
Well we have been x country training today and the pony was a super star she is obviously still quite green which I think was the issue with selling her so she is putting on miles and experiences so if her young novice rider has to move away for work or something she will be in a better position to sell. She wouldnt carry 15 stone yet she is too young but her mum has been carrying me around for 15 years and I have varied from 11 to 16 stones over that time and they are the same size and build. I didnt add that to the ad just was trying to explain that any average sized rider would be fine on her. She is wonderful and certainly wont be going anywhere in the near future. So hopefully as she learns more she will be an even better pony. Had anyone phoned they would have been told any negatives the biggest being that she isnt a typical ploddy highland she is forward and interested in everything I am very honest about her and wouldnt let anyone ride her if I didnt think they would be safe and in control. Her forwardness is the bonus with her it makes her very easy to ride maybe people cant ride forward horses anymore maybe they need rocking horses really

Adele1D

Visit site
For honest horse descriptions, read tracing horses ads, for rose tinted ones read for sale ads.

eg. Looking for my old horse, 15.2 and 1/2hh chestnut ISH. Big scar on OH cannon bone, hates jumping, pulls stupid face with tongue out to the side when bored or hungry.

For Sale 16h chestnut ISH. Great conformation, fabulous dressage potential, stunning looks and super temperament.

I look at it as emphasising the positives, but some sellers stretch the truth so far its no wonder the horses are nothing like as described at a viewing.
This is so true Flame. The "real" horse comes out in the Tracing Ads.

Pigeon

Visit site
But on the original subject, I would always be wary to a certain extent of any buyer, but I do think generally you can suss out which ones are more genuine than others.

You would think so, right??? In my experience not the case :p

dreamcometrue

Visit site
All three horses that I have bought have been exactly as described by the sellers though I did view several that weren't. Of course I didn't buy them!

So yeah, I believe honest sellers.

L&M

Visit site
I have been 'taken in' by who i thought was an honest seller, only to find they were small time dealers and did me over like a kipper!

So I was very wary of our next purchase.

However I replied to an ad in the H&H and the seller sounded very genuine, and as a professional kennel huntsman for a well known hunt, told me that his reputation was too valuabe to sell a horse he felt was unsuitable for our needs. The pony has turned out to be pretty much as described and he also assured me that I could return it straight away if we were not happy. I don't know if I am allowed to name names but one of the other ponies he had sourced was in the 'hunt heroes' section a couple of weeks ago, so suspect we have been very fortunate in our purchase as he obviously has a very good eye for a horse!

Highlands

Visit site
Well we have been x country training today and the pony was a super star she is obviously still quite green which I think was the issue with selling her so she is putting on miles and experiences so if her young novice rider has to move away for work or something she will be in a better position to sell. She wouldnt carry 15 stone yet she is too young but her mum has been carrying me around for 15 years and I have varied from 11 to 16 stones over that time and they are the same size and build. I didnt add that to the ad just was trying to explain that any average sized rider would be fine on her. She is wonderful and certainly wont be going anywhere in the near future. So hopefully as she learns more she will be an even better pony. Had anyone phoned they would have been told any negatives the biggest being that she isnt a typical ploddy highland she is forward and interested in everything I am very honest about her and wouldnt let anyone ride her if I didnt think they would be safe and in control. Her forwardness is the bonus with her it makes her very easy to ride maybe people cant ride forward horses anymore maybe they need rocking horses really

Sounds lovely, would you young rider WHP her and enter the RHS in June? Maybe put for sale in catalogue? I went looking once, found myself introduced to my Freddie's breeder and brought Freddie the next week!

Moomin1

Visit site
You would think so, right??? In my experience not the case :p

Yeah, that's a bit of a ******! I was lucky with my girl's seller - she did come across as very genuine and I followed my gut instinct and all turned out ok. But one I had years back was a different matter a bit like yourself. It's really gutting, I don't know how people can live with themselves passing on unsuitable horses :-(

windand rain

Visit site
Personally and I know I am very biased I dont think you can beat a good Highland pony they truly are so versatile easy and cheap to keep,can carry adults and children, are biddable and learn quickly move well enough to do a nice rhythmic dressage test and jump easily up to a meter which is usually enough for most amateur riders. I really dont get the warmblood passion for the average joe rider they are to me neither one thing nor another they are usually too much horse for their riders and are not reknowned for being tough and sound Another breed I think are a great ambassador for their breed are Arabs for speed and endurance. However I am a dyed in the wool native fan and am a true fan and advocate for them I just hope they can survive the current downturn and not disappear from our landscape. Pity there are fewer than 300 foals registered every year of the rarer breeds

Horsemadsmother

Visit site
I have to admit that this scares me somewhat for if we do buy a pony/horse in the future for horsemad and her sister (and maybe me to ride as well)

As i don't come from a horse background i do worry that they will see me coming

Bazzel

Visit site
as a buyer I find sellers to be incredibly dishonest - I adore all my horses but each of them has a quirk that was not as described in sale. As a seller (only ever sold 1 mind you) I couldn't have been more honest; I told all the bad along with the good as I didn't want either the child or my horse to get injured and I certainly didn't want the mare passed on and on if they found her unsuitable. There are honest sellers out there, but you gotta kiss a few frogs before you find them...

khalswitz

Visit site
This ^^^ Our native breeds, such as Highland Fells and Dales were bred as all round ponies, capable of carrying a man as well as being able to be harnessed up for farm work, Unfortunatly the show ring demands our natives to now look like sports ponies and these qualities will soon be hard to come by. Icelandic HORSES on the other hand are one of the toughest, most agile breeds known to man and will not stuggle to carry a fully grown adult at all.....

I agree especially wrt Welshes, Highlands there are still working type and show type as being distinctly different, and something like an Eriskay can carry ridiculous weight for their size too...

I know Icelandics are horses, technically, was just trying to illustrate the height not corresponding to weight carrying ability thing... But they are amazingly strong for their size, my friends one carries more weight than my 17hh tb could and can go for MILES without a problem. Does big me when people say it's cruel - it LOOKS weird, as were all used to adults on 16hh plus these days, but it certainly isn't a problem for her Icelandic, and plenty other native types that are bred to carry weight.

Pigeon

Visit site
Yeah, that's a bit of a ******! I was lucky with my girl's seller - she did come across as very genuine and I followed my gut instinct and all turned out ok. But one I had years back was a different matter a bit like yourself. It's really gutting, I don't know how people can live with themselves passing on unsuitable horses :-(

I know!!

The worst one (yes it's happened more than once, though they didn't get as far as this) was a family pony that they'd had for years. It had quite bad damage to the front feet from lami and they'd been giving it bute to mask the on/off lameness. Why on earth would you do that?? It taught your kids to ride, surely you owe it more than palming it off on the first unsuspecting buyer? (and for a little child as well!!!)