Do Cair panels (Wintec/Bates) have shims fitted as standard?

xena_wales

Visit site
Bit of a strange question, but does anyone know if the new style Wintec 2000 (2008ish onwards) comes with shims fitted under the Cair panels as standard?

Reason I'm asking, is I've just bought a 2000 off ebay and unboxed it, and could tell right away that it's been "modified". It's had a load of stuffing taken out of the panel at the front (by your knees), and one thick and two thin shims fitted either side as well in the middle, to make it more banana shaped.

I then decided to check my other 2000 (that I bought 2nd hand a couple of years back), and that has one shim fitted either side. I just want to know if one shim is "standard", or if no shims are "standard".

Not a Cair vs flock debate...

Ta muchly!!

ladyt25

Visit site
Hmm, no idea - I have one with Cair in and I don't think it has these. I understood these were added if the Cair needed adjusting to fit?

Batgirl

Visit site
Bought a new Bates in October, no shims were fitted (I am presuming that you mean the 'fish' inserts that go in above the cair?). I believe it is standard not to have the shims fitted.

xena_wales

Visit site
Bought a new Bates in October, no shims were fitted (I am presuming that you mean the 'fish' inserts that go in above the cair?). I believe it is standard not to have the shims fitted.

Fish are Thorowgood's system, but yes, similar principle.

I took some pics:
Front riser pad
Mid riser pads

I took apart my other Wintec saddle too, and that had front risers in as well, so that makes 2 with front risers in and one with mid risers in.

Thanks for clarifying that the Bates didn't have risers in - that is as I thought it should be, but I was unsure as I wasn't expecting my two existing saddles to have risers in already!

Batgirl

Visit site
They are called 'Easy-Change' in Bates but most people call them 'Fish' hence the quote marks :)

Very odd that they both already have them??

WetandMuddy

Visit site
I bought a Bates Cair system a year ago and it didn't come with shims. We have them in now - but they were put in by saddler.