do dealers budge on prices or are they set?

magichorse

Visit site
IMO there's no harm in asking. I have bought from 2 different dealers and got £300 knocked off one horse but only £50 off the other. He did deliver him for free though.

WelshD

Visit site
Pretty much any dealer of anything will budge on price

What you need to bear in mind is that they will have bought their 'goods' in and will have bartered the price for those, they will be expert at getting a good price as they do it all the time so in turn will be expert at trying to justify their asking price

of course some will be nicer about it than others :)

MissTyc

Visit site
Have bought and sold many horses.
Always haggled, always got *something* off - dealers usually price in a hagglable way. I.e. a 3750 horse will almost invariably be able to be purchased for 3500 or less. When I sell, I price similarly. Same animal several years ago: priced her 2500, max offer I got was 2300. Changed advert price to 3000 got offer of 2600 and goodbye!

brigit

Visit site
Have bought and sold many horses.
Always haggled, always got *something* off - dealers usually price in a hagglable way. I.e. a 3750 horse will almost invariably be able to be purchased for 3500 or less. When I sell, I price similarly. Same animal several years ago: priced her 2500, max offer I got was 2300. Changed advert price to 3000 got offer of 2600 and goodbye!

very helpful thank you!

mandwhy

Visit site
I don't think it would be cheeky to expect 10% off the price most of the time if not more. You just need to get a really good idea of what the animal is worth so you can be confident in your offer and be prepared to walk away if it is not accepted.

As people say, there's no harm in asking!

SNORKEY

Visit site
Everyone can move on price! I ask for a discount everywhere I go and always get it. I'd definitely expect a dealer to be a bit flexible.

Patterdale

Visit site
Yes. Be very cheeky.

If something was advertised as 3500, I'd offer 2750 and look to pay 3k tops. Even more with some people.

It's a buyers market. The seller always has a choice, they can say no, so don't feel guilty!

Dry Rot

Visit site
Get your friends to view the horse and all make ridiculously low offers.

Then, turn up yourself and offer something more realistic.

A carrier bag full of notes and a 'take it or leave it' attitude can have a dramatic effect!:D

Buying from a dealer is a game and, if you want to win, you had better learn the rules! (Like love and war, there are none;)).

brigit

Visit site
Get your friends to view the horse and all make ridiculously low offers.

Then, turn up yourself and offer something more realistic.

A carrier bag full of notes and a 'take it or leave it' attitude can have a dramatic effect!:D

Buying from a dealer is a game and, if you want to win, you had better learn the rules! (Like love and war, there are none;)).

haha thanks:D

brigit

Visit site
Yes. Be very cheeky.

If something was advertised as 3500, I'd offer 2750 and look to pay 3k tops. Even more with some people.

It's a buyers market. The seller always has a choice, they can say no, so don't feel guilty!

haha im looking at a horse for 3.5k now and considering your tactics;)

Oldenburg27

Visit site
My first horse Thomas I got £50 off him lol

Larry was up for 9.5k and brought him for 6.5k he is so amazing I would have paid full asking price for him...

So you never know its worth asking :D