do genuine people ever buy unseen?

Elsiecat

Visit site
Eeeekk.
I think it'd have to be on 2 sides of the spectrum.. eg. unhandled colt where you've seen videos of it moving and conformation - what could (usually) be wrong?
OR very experienced horse where its competition record could be seen on google etc and well experienced in what the person wants to compete in.

I can't imagine it for your average all rounder middle age horse, somehow!
But then I could imagine taking a punt on a decently priced one abroard.

Hmm not sure :rolleyes::p

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I brought a youngster unseen just by a picture and he was delivered to me. Iv still got him 3 years later and love him to pieces he will never be sold and I keep in touch via Facebook with his breeders so I say YES

be positive

Visit site
I recently bought one unseen, he was recommended on here and cost very little so worth the risk and is not here to stay as my riding horse, would I sell to a home that had not seen and tried, unlikely unless it was through word of mouth, youngstock would be different but ridden horses I want to know that the partnership has some chance of working out.

hnmisty

Visit site
This person's reason sounds genuine, they can't get to see him before I have others viewing him due to a commitment they had mentioned before they realised they couldn't see him quickly.

I don't know whether I am too trusting, or whether I am being suspicious because I am too trusting!

texas

Visit site
I've bought 2 broodmares and a youngster unseen bar photos. Fell in love and knew I had to have them. Apart from one mare being completely misdescribed in terms of how handleable she was, they were exactly what I expected.

MagicMelon

Visit site
People do it yes, but depends on the circumstances. I bought a horse untried from Wales because I wanted a 15.2hh Welsh Cob and couldn't find one of that height up my way, I also wanted one unbacked or just backed because I liked doing the work myself. I bought a rising 4yo based purely on a 10 min video. Had him vetted and deal done. Owners asked for photos of where he was going which I sent. I would never buy something like a competition horse untried though, only a young horse who is young enough to hopefully not be ruined as they've not done anything/much! Turned out he was a right brat when I first got him, total nutcase really but I worked my butt off with him and had him about 5 years and adored that horse, so yes genuine buyers can buy this way.

Selling-wise though, I couldn't sell any of mine like that. I go and check any potential homes for my horses.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Tiny Fuzzy came unseen 'in the flesh', 2 phone calls & lots of photos - then she arrived in a huge lorry.....

Previously have had 3 full brothers (1 and then the other 2, 6 months later) all brought on breeding alone, aged 2, 4 and 5.
2 were outstanding (the 5 and 2yr olds) & went on to do very well in the show ring, the 3rd one was a little quirky to handle but went well enough under saddle, tho not county std like the other 2. No idea why he differed so much from the other 2.
But he found a lovely home as a 'quality' PC pony & excelled in stressage.

Yes, it can be done, but usually people do this if they have trust & the breeding is known.

Mariposa

Visit site
Yep, I bought my TB mare unseen - had seen some photos and that's all! She arrived with a transporter a few weeks later, never been so nervous waiting for the ramp to come down! I'd only seen photos of her playing fit, and she arrived in December looking very different to the photos on the surface!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
ridden horses I want to know that the partnership has some chance of working out.
^^^. I'm an amateur and it's very important to me that I gel with a horse. I can't imagine buying one without seeing it first in the flesh. I'm sure that pros and semi pros do it all the time, though, but it's not for me!

I would never sell a horse to someone who hadn't seen it, though.

simplyhunting

Visit site
I brought my tb unseen, technically I only saw a dark photo of his head! But I had looked up his racing history and he was worth it to do the job I want.

cptrayes

Visit site
Bought one several years ago from photos/video and just about to negotiate on another. Sometimes they are too cheap to make it worth traveling four hours to go and see, like my two.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
thinking about it-all my current 3 were lol. The companion was actually a loan-a couple of photos plus references sent to owner and deal was done. Wasn't quite prepared for how fat he was though! the weanling I agreed to buy on a friend's and the breeder's say so. Bought a youngster in Portugal based on some photos and someone's say so-didn't meet him until a few months later. The first one was free, the last two very cheap and obviously unbacked-I wouldn't buy something already backed unseen personally.

be positive

Visit site
^^^. I'm an amateur and it's very important to me that I gel with a horse. I can't imagine buying one without seeing it first in the flesh. I'm sure that pros and semi pros do it all the time, though, but it's not for me!

I would never sell a horse to someone who hadn't seen it, though.

I think you represent most people buying their riding partner, there are some that are happy to risk buying but I would find it hard to sell, I do sell a few, but even selling for clients I like to feel the horse and rider will suit each other I would find it hard to let a horse go off to someone I had never met.

hnmisty

Visit site
Selling-wise though, I couldn't sell any of mine like that. I go and check any potential homes for my horses.

I wondered whether a solution would be to go visit their place... Is that too much effort though when I have other interested parties? This person wants to buy straight out, the others are loan/lwvtb. I would rather sell (to the right home!) as I plan on getting another.

Girlracer

Visit site
I bought this chap unseen -

IMG_2291-Copy.jpg

Based on 3 photos of him stood in the field, had him since November, and absolutely no intention of him ever going anywhere.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I've bought and sold unseen and I am genuine :)

Because of back problems I decided to come off horses and return to ponies a few years ago. My current pony is a wonderful Highland who travelled down from Dundee and emerged blinking into the Yorkshire sunshine. I had been up to Scotland horse hunting but not found what I wanted so I bought her after talking to the seller on the 'phone because she sounded perfect for me. It was love at first sight and she is the best pony I've ever had.

I also sold a 6 year old warmblood gelding sight unseen to someone who really wanted him because of his breeding. He did have superb breeding and she was a sponsor of an up and coming show jumper but I think he was for her to ride herself. She let me know when he'd arrived but didn't keep in touch afterwards. I exchange Christmas cards and FB messages with the lady from whom I bought my pony because she did me a huge favour selling me my gorgeous girl :D

Charem

Visit site
Yes.

Two of mine I bought unseen. Both were lightly handled but not backed, not local and quite cheap. By the time I had driven up there to view and then come back to get the trailer it would had cost me more than each were worth. Both were fab buys and have been giving me a lot of fun.

hnmisty

Visit site
How long before the interested person can come and view your horse? A potential outright buyer is worth waiting for over a loan or LWVTB, if you can.

Well, of the two other serious hopefuls, one has already found a horse and the other has had to stop looking because of family problems.

So now it's just this lady, so hopefully now she'll be able to meet him, will fall in love with him and whisk him away to a wonderful home!

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
I bought my latest horse unseen. I'd watched a couple of videos of him racing, sent OH to make sure all four legs were still attached to him and bought him for £700 at auction.

I haven't actually had the chance to really look at him (other than photos) as he was transported back to Scotland after the sale. Am going to 'meet' him next weekend and can't wait!

honetpot

Visit site
I have bought five from pictures on the internet, all young stock and a brood mare. I check the breeding, and if possible the seller and if the price is right it saves a lot of hassle. Never been disappointed although my husband sometimes wonders if I have lost my mind.

BethanT

Visit site
Yes. I bought my mare without seeing her. First time I saw her was when I went to collect. Though she was seen by a good friend of mine before hand but would have bought her anyway as was so cheap.

Also know of someone who bought a weanling from up country without seeing him at all just got him vetted and on phone to the vet (I think) during it.

Think depends on what it is you are buying. Like others have said wouldnt trust someone who was buying a run of the mill allrounder unseen.

Kallibear

Visit site
Yes, twice. Both through a reputation trusted dealer, directly from ireland.

One was 4yr old RID who was entered for Cavan the next week. His description was already in the catalogue and is apparently legally binding. We saw photos and videos and had him revetted (they need to be vetted before they can be entered for Cavan). They kept him a couple of extra weeks to make sure he hacked alone well (not something he'd done much of). He was even nicer than expected and hasn't been a days bother.

The other was a 2yr old ID x TB, nephew of the above RID. Saw a photo and dealer guaranteed he was quiet and easy. He arrive a week later almost un handled but as quiet as he'd said, if 3" bigger than expected! He's turned into a truly brilliant horse and my favorite personality of all the horses I've had so far. I've not regretted my decision for a second.

HOWEVER I have the experience and confidence to work with most horses and they didn't need to be perfect. I was prepared to put a lot of effort into training the horse, should it be required. In my experience most horses can be made into useful, likeable members of equine society with common sense and hard work.

So yes, genuine people do buy unseen. BUT I'd only buy a youngster. An older horse who's apparently established could so easily have been ruined and the seller hiding something.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
I bought one from a head shot on the breeders website. 18mnth filly, now 5. Bought purely down to the breeding, she was tiny when she arrived, and I could see the look in everyones face, 'why have you bought that!' She has grown into a stunning a talented young lady,with a temperament to match. Would I recommend doing it, absolutely not. But the breeder was a good friend of mine, so I knew she would be ok