Do guys look bad in breeches?

L123

Visit site
I'm a male rider, and unfortunately I have to admit i do have a rather large wardrobe of breeches that I've collected over time, but my question is, do guys look bad in figure hugging breeches? In my opinion I hate them baggy. I prefer to fit in with all the other riders. Opinions?

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Dont think I look too awful in breeches. Not made any physically sick to my knowledge. You do need a fairly lean body to make it work though. Beer guts just dont look right.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Some men look very good in breeches as do some women .
I prefer men in not too tight ones , traditional if you like .

PaddyMonty

Visit site
It doesn't matter what's in the breeches. They are the most comfortable thing to wear (for a bloke) when riding. Personally I dont give a stuff what I look like in them. I'm far more concerned with how the horse looks :p

Orangehorse

Visit site
I think the Polo breeches look particularly good, but well, cut and good quality material look fine. What you don't want are thin, nylony, cheap looking - makes you look like you borrowed your kid sister's clothes.

I'm alwasy a bit puzzled by this men v women riders - after all it is only in the past 75 years or so that women started to ride much, so men always were the riders, not women. Hence riding clothes are based on what men wore.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I think the Polo breeches look particularly good, but well, cut and good quality material look fine. What you don't want are thin, nylony, cheap looking - makes you look like you borrowed your kid sister's clothes.

I'm alwasy a bit puzzled by this men v women riders - after all it is only in the past 75 years or so that women started to ride much, so men always were the riders, not women. Hence riding clothes are based on what men wore.

It's only an issue since the invention of lycra. Before stretch, everyone had room for a cat in each thigh wing :D

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It doesn't matter what's in the breeches. They are the most comfortable thing to wear (for a bloke) when riding. Personally I dont give a stuff what I look like in them. I'm far more concerned with how the horse looks :p

the specific question was about looks though :p I'm all for comfort!

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
In the nicest possible way, people won't be looking at you. They'll be concentrating on their own stuff (or cooing over your horse). Wear whatever you find most comfortable.

L123

Visit site
That is true. People really don't care, unless you walk into a petrol station or work with them on. I find them way more comfortable to ride in if they're tight, not extremely tight, but "figure hugging". You can't "see" anything, and I'm quite a tall, thin guy. I guess it just depends on rider prefrence. I've noticed when I've been watching the Global Champions Tour or Fei shows and some of the guys have theirs tight, but the majority have them baggy. I wonder why this is?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I think they look better if they are on the tighter side my instructor is very thin and tall and his are very tight and it suits him but I suppose it depends on your body shape more than anything.

L123

Visit site
I totally agree with this. Not every guy is "huge" down there and most of the time you can't see anything. I understand how other male riders wear baggy breeches, but for me figure hugging ones are the most comfy. And don't get me wrong, I don't wear ladies breeches, I just get a men's style which is close fitting.

Kat

Visit site
Just Google the Olympic dressage team at the medal ceremony. Much as I love Carl Hester his baggy breeches don't look at good as Spencer's tighter ones. It is a sport wear something comfortable and supportive.

My husband also cycles and doesn't get the loose pleat fronted not very stretchy breeches at all. He wears flat front tight stretchy jodhs and looks great!

ycbm

Visit site
Just Google the Olympic dressage team at the medal ceremony. Much as I love Carl Hester his baggy breeches don't look at good as Spencer's tighter ones. It is a sport wear something comfortable and supportive.

My husband also cycles and doesn't get the loose pleat fronted not very stretchy breeches at all. He wears flat front tight stretchy jodhs and looks great!

I googled it and all I can see is all four of them in filthy breeches! They wouldn't present a horse for its rosette covered in sweat, couldn't they have put a clean pair on??

Dunlin

Visit site
I actually don't like the look of 'roomy' breeches at all, I think they look like they don't fit properly and just a bit of a mess. At the other end of the scale, at a show last weekend I saw far too much of a few guys in very tight breeches, just not a good look, the same as all the young lads wearing skin tight jeans these days. Comfort always wins over style though and as I get older I care less and less about what other people think!

DD265

Visit site
My dad used to wear tight jods/breeches (with long boots, so you wouldn't know the difference anyway) and he would get a lot of very appraising looks from the ladies at the riding school.

Thankfully I was too young (about 8-10) to be embarassed by it!

L123

Visit site
I actually don't like the look of 'roomy' breeches at all, I think they look like they don't fit properly and just a bit of a mess. At the other end of the scale, at a show last weekend I saw far too much of a few guys in very tight breeches, just not a good look, the same as all the young lads wearing skin tight jeans these days. Comfort always wins over style though and as I get older I care less and less about what other people think!
In my opinion it depends on the person, and their body shape. That's the thing about breeches, it's what suits the person, and everyone is different. I know I can get away with wearing tight breeches because they suit my body and look fine on me, and you can't see anything "down there" but I know one of my other friends who rides wears his breeches loose because he feels to restricted.
I hate to say it, but I guess it just depends on if your "big" or "small" down there. Because at the end of the day, you really don't want to be putting too much on display. I just don't understand why so many guys at the top level wear breeches so baggy and loose.

Dunlin

Visit site
Well I think you answered your own question on "why so many guys at the top level wear breeches so baggy and loose", "it's what suits the person, and everyone is different".

Poor Buck Davidson has received some really nasty comments being a bigger built guy wearing tight breeches, it's completely uncalled for and sadly shows the bitchy side to the hobby and sport.

L123

Visit site
Well I think you answered your own question on "why so many guys at the top level wear breeches so baggy and loose", "it's what suits the person, and everyone is different".

Poor Buck Davidson has received some really nasty comments being a bigger built guy wearing tight breeches, it's completely uncalled for and sadly shows the bitchy side to the hobby and sport.
That is completely uncalled for. Here in Australia most riders (Male and Female) wear Breeches for competition because they're so expensive, and Jods for casual/training. Personally I prefer Jods over Breeches to be honest. They are pretty comfy to ride in!

ycbm

Visit site
That is completely uncalled for. Here in Australia most riders (Male and Female) wear Breeches for competition because they're so expensive, and Jods for casual/training. Personally I prefer Jods over Breeches to be honest. They are pretty comfy to ride in!

Here in the UK there is no difference between jods and breeches except the length of the legs. What difference is there in Australia?

Dunlin

Visit site
Jods and Breeches are the same thing in Australia. Breeches are mostly full seat and shorter or have a thin fabric at the calf and ankle to be worn with long boots, jods can be full seat but often just knee patches and the material extends all the way to the ankle, only really seen in competition on children who are required to wear short boots.