Do horses actually view sheep as companions?

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Long story short: after one too many minor scuffles, and one almighty kick out, companion loan pony is going to have to go back. It's my own pony who is the problem, loan pony is an absolute sweetheart. (don't worry, I currently have the ponies separate and safe until the owner is able to have her pony back, but it's not a long term solution.)

It might just be a two mares together problem, but I know my pony didn't get on "that well" with the geldings in her last home. Her old owner said several times that I shouldn't feel like I had to rush to get her companion, and that she's "more of a people pony". I'm now taking this to mean that she's an established kicker, and she's been this way with both mares and geldings. (Fwiw she's an absolute angel with myself and the kids, I'm not trying to say she's an all round dangerous pony, or that I want rid of her or anything like that).

So, within the next month or two my pony will find herself on her own again. Ive kept her on her own before and she was outwardly completely unperturbed by it. In fact, she's developed some stressy behaviour (mainly crib biting and fence walking) only since she's had a companion. I don't feel I can in good conscience introduce another pony into the mix again- I don't want to risk another pony in with her, I don't want to commit a sociable animal to a life of enforced separation, and I don't want to take on another grumpy kicker!

Is it worth my considering sheep? I certainly have too much grazing for one fat pony (2.5 acres). Would a few sheep really be emotionally better than no companion at all? Is she likely to attack them, and/or would she actually do them any damage? I'm imagining an electric fence set up whereby sheep can escape underneath if necessary? I probably can borrow a few sheep from our neighbour, but I'm paranoid of hurting someone else's animal!

KJ_0912

Visit site
Don’t know if horses see sheep as companions but they certainly are brilliant at eating up extra grass and weeds. I’d suggest splitting your field in two and having rotational grazing between the horse and sheep if you are worried about having too much grazing/horse harming field mates. Sounds as though your horse might be ok being on their own, some are some aren’t.

Reactions: TPO

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Don’t know if horses see sheep as companions but they certainly are brilliant at eating up extra grass and weeds. I’d suggest splitting your field in two and having rotational grazing between the horse and sheep if you are worried about having too much grazing/horse harming field mates. Sounds as though your horse might be ok being on their own, some are some aren’t.
We do already have it split into two paddocks, but we use the resting field for riding (when the ground will take it!) Everything's so complicated with horses/ponies isn't it? It feels like for every solution there are 10 other problems.

Reactions: TPO

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
The little welsh my sister used to have was brought up with sheep. He was owned by a welsh farmer who bought a farm locally and ran a flock of sheep over several fields with them just roaming at will through unmaintained hedges. Pony went with them. When my sister started riding him out if she passed a field of sheep he used to whinny to them and they would come running so he obviously 'spoke sheep'. Unfortunately they had taught him too well about going through fences, took a long time to convince him he mustn't.
My stallion normally ignored my sheep but took a weird dislike to a ewe once and tried to kill her. Also had a serious punch up with the Wiltshire Horn ram I used to have and I had to separate them before he killed it. However another ram I had was a good friend and they used to play together so you just can't tell. I would say worth trying as long as the sheep can escape under an electric fence or are safely behind one.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
The little welsh my sister used to have was brought up with sheep. He was owned by a welsh farmer who bought a farm locally and ran a flock of sheep over several fields with them just roaming at will through unmaintained hedges. Pony went with them. When my sister started riding him out if she passed a field of sheep he used to whinny to them and they would come running so he obviously 'spoke sheep'. Unfortunately they had taught him too well about going through fences, took a long time to convince him he mustn't.
My stallion normally ignored my sheep but took a weird dislike to a ewe once and tried to kill her. Also had a serious punch up with the Wiltshire Horn ram I used to have and I had to separate them before he killed it. However another ram I had was a good friend and they used to play together so you just can't tell. I would say worth trying as long as the sheep can escape under an electric fence or are safely behind one.
This little mare also gets very excited if she sees sheep out and about. But I just couldn't even begin to guess whether it's "oh look, there's a little friend" excited, or more like "ooh look- a new punch bag!" excited .......

KJ_0912

Visit site
We do already have it split into two paddocks, but we use the resting field for riding (when the ground will take it!) Everything's so complicated with horses/ponies isn't it? It feels like for every solution there are 10 other problems.
I feel you 100%. My two have to be split in winter when hays being fed hay in turnout, mare wants to share...gelding feels very much the opposite. Haynets to close, gelding will “protect” both of them, haynets far enough away to stop that and the mare refuses to eat!

dorsetladette

Visit site
We have 4 sheep grazing with my 2 boys and the livery mare. All are happy together except at meal times. Livery mare pinned a sheep down and bit her several times because she put her head in her feed bowl. One of my geldings loves the sheep. When they were tiny he kept them away from the fence and generally look after them. Other gelding doesn't mind the sheep, although I think one of them has a sense of humour. B2 is a nervous little soul and one particular sheep likes standing right behind him and bleating at the top of her lunges. Very amusing to watch, bless my little nervous nelly, he jumps out of his skin everytime.

It really does depend on the ponies mentality. I would also recommend feeding them separately. We feed the horses in the field so the sheep have a pen we shut them in at meal times.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Awww what a shame :(
I'm not convinced that a horse would see sheep as a companion as such..?? What about donkeys??
Donkeys?! What are you trying to do to me?!?! On the other hand though, it could be the ultimate passive aggressive revenge on our neighbours with the new cockerel.....

WelshD

Visit site
Have you thought about a goat?

My ponies don't interact with my sheep apart from chasing them now and again (we put up an electric strand so that the sheep have a safe area when the ponies are feeling a bit feisty)
But my ponies do interact with the goats I've had, they will actively seek out a goat when one pony is left on its own at any point.

Of course you'll need the great wall of China to keep a goat in.........

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We had one coloured mare who decided that the sheep were hers? We got a Ryland ewe and her two ewe lambs. The mare was always good with them and when we were left with just one of the "lambs"(about 10 years old by then) she lived with the mare, in her stable overnight etc. Following the demise of the last Ryland we got 3 texel Cross ewe lambs and she took them under her wing. We got a mare who didn't know about sheep and the old lady told her, in no uncertain terms, that they were to be left alone!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would be very careful, although my bossy cob, who had to be separated from the Draft mare because they fought, will defer to the sheep, especially the matriarch. She does move them along if she thinks they are eating too much hay but doesn't chase them. The matriarch was once seen to headbut the bossy cob, we never did work out what bc had done to offend.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My ram and pony get on quite well! She’s out with a shetland in a field with about 12 sheep and they don’t really pay much attention to each other to be honest. They’re not bothered by them but I wouldn’t put sheep in with a horse that is a bully.

Attachments

• 854C3CC7-4E9A-48DC-8638-F3F0AC7114F5.jpeg
    854C3CC7-4E9A-48DC-8638-F3F0AC7114F5.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 20

GG13

Visit site
I have seen horses chase a kick sheep and mean it so be careful and because she has been aggressive towards horses it may just not work.

This is exactly what one of my horses does if turned out with sheep. He even tries to chase them when being led through the sheeps’ field so I’d be very careful. He is also particular with who he is turned out with but with careful introduction to the right companion he now has a little buddy

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I have both horses and sheep and they do not get allowed to mix now. They grazed side by side for a while until the horses decided that chasing sheep was a good game. I had fenced off bolt holes for the sheep all round the field but when paniced the sheep seemed to forget to use them. Sheep also overheat when run about with a fleece on.

If your mare kicks horses she will kick donkeys.

Carrottom

Visit site
My neighbours separate their 2 geldings with electric fence as one can be aggressive but their sheep have the run of the whole field as they go under the fence. Their ram is very friendly with one gelding, he stands in the horse's shadow if the sun is hot even though he could get cool shade under the trees which the horse can't get to. One morning I saw them laying down together nose to nose.

Carrottom

Visit site
The aggressive horse mentioned in post #21 ignores the sheep although I have seen the rams chase the horse away from hay in winter.?