Do horses ever give up?

lynsey1808

Visit site
Just posing this question really, my boy is very nappy but we are making good progress. He never wins a battle and I always get what I want from him using various different methods, but will he ever get to the point where he'll give up trying or will he always try it on to a certain extent?
Just curious as to what you all thought really!
laugh.gif

Hanz

Visit site
I used to have a mare who was lovely out hacking alone and with other horses, but with one certain horse they would both nap ridiculously, as if they were showing off to each other, we would be stood in the same place for literally half an hour while they titted about but nothing seemed to work. One month I schooled her almost every day, just to fine tune her dressage really, but after she started hacking again with this horse she didnt do it.

Whether it be because she was much better schooled, we had formed more of a bond or just that she appreciated hacking again, I will never know, but we certainly got round the routes quicker!

Pilib

Visit site
My horse was really nappy when I first got him, he's a million times better now but I don't think he gave up as such I think he just got more confident in both himself and in me.

X

lynsey1808

Visit site
That's an interesting point, I think confidence is/has been an issue in the past but now it's a bit of an excuse as well
crazy.gif

chantypanty

Visit site
When i first got my boy he was very nappy and could get quite dangerous when hacking alone. Although i'm told he didn't do much road work so i think he was very nervous.
It took a year of building his confidence in me and also dragging my mum out on a few hacks walking next to us but now he hacks alone like a star.
He has the occasional spin and mini rear when he's in a mood but that's quickly sorted because he knows he'll never get away with it and i'll sit there until he co-operates.

Just keep persevering and building your confidence in each other and hopefully it will get to the point where he dosn't nap.