Do horses get bored of the same route?

Hutchlou

Visit site
Just wondered if my horse was bored yesterday hacking a familiar route!
She decided to nap after about 15 minutes & was determined that she would sooner rein-back all the way home rather than go forward! (I finally 'won' & we carried on). She was super-keen on Tuesday when I took her on a completely new route!
Both days we were with another horse & she has only been along the familiar route a handful of times.

pottamus

Visit site
Yep my lad goes into donkey mode on his 'usual' route and is forward and sprightly when boxed somewhere new!

Charlie007

Visit site
We only have 3 or 4 safe routes to hack so my boy goes on these routes regularly. He seems to gain confidence going on the same routes. He can be a bit nervous when boxed up and ridden elsewhere, fine at shows tho cus he knows whats going on. I suppose it could depend on the type of horse.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
We found that when we always rode around a farm they would soon notice anything slightly different - ie coloured weeds, hole in the hedge, and this was a good excuse for a spook. If we rode different new routes - everything was new and somehow they accepted this and weren't so spooky - not sure of the logic. Perhaps it was because they were bored they wanted to do something to cheer themselves up - hence frighten mum!

Booboos

Visit site
Yep, I find the same thing! They tend to notice anything different on familiar routes and make a huge deal about it, whereas if it's a completely new hack they accept all sorts of weird things as 'normal'.

Clarew22

Visit site
We found that when we always rode around a farm they would soon notice anything slightly different - ie coloured weeds, hole in the hedge, and this was a good excuse for a spook. If we rode different new routes - everything was new and somehow they accepted this and weren't so spooky - not sure of the logic. Perhaps it was because they were bored they wanted to do something to cheer themselves up - hence frighten mum!

Exactly what I was going to say, we have limited safe hacking so tend to do the same routes mostly, glad its not only my horse that notices the change in undergrowth :D

xmanda90x

Visit site
Yup I get this too! If we go on different routes he's keen to get on and isn't bothered by much, but head onto a familiar route and it's into donkey mode until he sees something "strange", ie a slightly different coloured leaf or his personal favourite...purple flowers!!:rolleyes:

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Yup I get this too! If we go on different routes he's keen to get on and isn't bothered by much, but head onto a familiar route and it's into donkey mode until he sees something "strange", ie a slightly different coloured leaf or his personal favourite...purple flowers!!:rolleyes:

Yep - it was always those purple flowers/weeds - sent by Satan I'm sure:D

bj_cardiff

Visit site
Yep they certainly do! I'd vary it as much as possible, do the hacks the other way round etc. should make things more interesting!

Cliqmo

Visit site
Mine already has a "default route" that I use to cool him off and the one I take if I only have time for a short ride. I'm 90% sure if I got on his back and gave no aids whatsoever this is the route he would take me :p :D My boy is happy hacking out anywhere and has oodles of enthusiasm just to be out and about instead of doing circles in the arena :D

rcm_73

Visit site
I would say depends on the horse! My anxious mare is a stickler for routine and will only relax on a familiar route, take her on a new one and she jogs until she is back in her comfort zone. My other more relaxed mare enjoys changes of scenery & can get mule-ish on familiar routes!

Hullabaloo

Visit site
Yep, I find the same thing! They tend to notice anything different on familiar routes and make a huge deal about it, whereas if it's a completely new hack they accept all sorts of weird things as 'normal'.

I have this too. He is also more likely to be naughty if its one of our short routes that he knows well. He tends to save his energy a bit more on the longer ones.