Do horses get depressed?

dawnpetenathshir

Visit site
I may be daft but I'm sure my boy is a bit depressed since his field buddy left. He is not his usual self and a bit slower than normal. Didn't even get excited when I got some poles out yesterday :(

Paddy Irish

Visit site
Aw bless , is there no new buddy on the horizon? They are such social animals , loneliness has probably set in , it's good to have someone to itch your back for you , you'll have to take over being number one buddy..

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
Horses definitely have moods.
I had to move yards when my 24 year old Tb died of colic. My remaining horse almost went into mourning, and stopped eating, and started losing weight. I moved yards (as although he could see other horses, he'd lost his only field companion). Once on the new yard, he perked up and was fine again, and he soon made a new inseperable best friend.

Is your boy alone now, or are there other horses for company?

Sleepeeze_dad

Visit site
Oh god yes - very definitely. Sleepy got depressed on box rest as he wasn't being ridden and wasn't doing anything exciting. Just stared over his stable door without moving poor lad. Got grumpy with it too which is just not in character

Even when our guys had been banished to separate fields on the same yard (OH horse got lamy :( and can't share with a young voracious TB anymore and the grass that goes with him) they were both "not themselves" even though they share adjoining stables.

dawnpetenathshir

Visit site
Horses definitely have moods.
I had to move yards when my 24 year old Tb died of colic. My remaining horse almost went into mourning, and stopped eating, and started losing weight. I moved yards (as although he could see other horses, he'd lost his only field companion). Once on the new yard, he perked up and was fine again, and he soon made a new inseperable best friend.

Is your boy alone now, or are there other horses for company?

Yes he is completely alone now, not what I wanted at all and to be honest I feel I've been dumped in it. I hate seeing him like this. I'm searching for a buddy for him, rang up about a cob mare at the weekend but no one has rung back to arrange a viewing :(

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
My boy's field companion was moved end of last year and he certainly got depressed, it affected him more than we though it would.
He literally just wanted to mope in the field and when i did take him out he was a real pain which led to me nearly giving up on him. I didn't put two and two together until the weather picked up and i started riding him out again.
I definitely believe that they have moods in s similar way to us.
Best thing i find now is to spoil them a bit, hugs, attention, i know 'it's only a horse' but you want to keep him happy!

Fellewell

Visit site
In his mind he's on the top of the menu for any passing predator. That has to be a bit depressing;) Hope he finds a pal soon.

dawnpetenathshir

Visit site
My boy's field companion was moved end of last year and he certainly got depressed, it affected him more than we though it would.
He literally just wanted to mope in the field and when i did take him out he was a real pain which led to me nearly giving up on him. I didn't put two and two together until the weather picked up and i started riding him out again.
I definitely believe that they have moods in s similar way to us.
Best thing i find now is to spoil them a bit, hugs, attention, i know 'it's only a horse' but you want to keep him happy!

He's one of my best buddies, don't know what I'd do without him, think I'd be bit gaga. Have been down at least twice every day giving him a good scratch and groom etc.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Yes they can get depressed Koko's field buddy was after not only losing his first friend as he was sold then Koko's death and he wasn't allowed out for a little while in case he got ill.

H's coat went really bad and his mane started falling out. If no one knew any better they'd say he was physically ill but he wasn't.

Do things with your horse that you knwo he enjoys, if he likes going for a nice hack take him out on a couple and make sure he is few things he really likes. We swapped this ponies hay to haylage. He eventually got a new field companion and has cheered up a lot.