Do horses/ponies who don't show natural jumping ability ever 'get it

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Hi guys,
I know this isn't really a CR post, but as most of you train/compete on a regular basis I thought your experience would help with this.
Lukey is a lovely pony, but just does not 'get' what to do with his legs when jumping. He is only rising 4, and I have only ever loose schooled him over either cross poles or very low uprights but he has a tendency to either try to trot over them(as shown below), or launch himself full pelt at them.

4309739706_ca36c30892.jpg

I don't, and haven't, done this very often with him....I don't want you thinking I've been hammering him around! lol I just wondered in the wider sense if horses always show their jumping ability at a young age?...and with relation to Luke if this is going to be a long term issue?
Is it simply a confidence issue, or is he never going to be a jumping pony? I don't really mind as I've always said he'll be with me for life and I'd fit in with whatever he seems most comfortable doing.
Also, are there any exercises I can do with poles that will help him organise his legs.

Thanks guys, as always, any thoughts etc welcome
smile.gif

Beth x

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
[ QUOTE ]
I'd build more solid jumps- either a log or a jump with fillers in- gets them up in the air

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too - i had one that did that and all i had to hand was my coat which i put over the pole (draped it over so it would fall off if he touched it!) he was a bit looky but it certainly got him in the air!
He still did trot over fences that were small but as soon as the fences went up a bit he started jumping!

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Dex wasnt known as Demolition Dexter for nothing
crazy.gif

I gave up with SJ and stuck to logs and xc as they couldnt be trampled or run through so then he would cart me past them
mad.gif
Then we went hunting and he soon learned to follow the horse in front. He realised that if he picked his bl**dy feet up then he wouldnt land in a heap the other side and is now loving to jump- we still have the odd pole SJ but he is perfect out hunting- even over the really big scarey stuff
smile.gif

Nicco

Visit site
I have a 13.2 New Forest who as a 4 year old was completely clueless about how to jump. For the next year or so he managed to get round tiny classes (badly) and then finally went hunting where he obviously found the knack of jumping.

He has had various loan homes over the past years, he is now 18, and has taught many little children how to jump. They have all been on the Pony Club teams with him and he is still fabulous.

Dont give up hope, some just take a while to find the knack of how to jump!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have a 13.2 New Forest who as a 4 year old was completely clueless about how to jump. For the next year or so he managed to get round tiny classes (badly) and then finally went hunting where he obviously found the knack of jumping.

He has had various loan homes over the past years, he is now 18, and has taught many little children how to jump. They have all been on the Pony Club teams with him and he is still fabulous.

Dont give up hope, some just take a while to find the knack of how to jump!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bless him, sounds a lovely pony. Mine's a newfie too
smile.gif

Thanks for your input guys
smile.gif
I do have access to some XC type jumps(not many that are smalll though) so maybe I should just take him for a little pop and see how he goes.
smile.gif

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
to give you an idea of what we had to work through with Dex- here he is in a lesson with OH in 2007
dex4.jpg

with OH at the opening meet 2008- more willing to jump but still a bit dangly
DexHedgeHopping.jpg

and here he is in 2009
DexThame3--494-1.jpg

MagicMelon

Visit site
Yes, IMO they can "get it" eventually. I've had 3 youngsters in the past who were utterly clueless when introduced to jumping (the rest were all fine). One simply destroyed everything (literally went THROUGH the jump), one would get his legs in a mess (twice, he actually tripped and fell flat over the poles) and he other jumped but was clumsy as hell. All of them soon got the hang of it and were jumping clears by the time I got them out to their first events. The one who fell over poles actually turned into a fantastic jumping pony who very rarely touched a pole!

christine48

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about it. He's still growing and developing and at his age will be struggling to find his balance. Gymnastic exercises and small grids will help.