Do horses understand kisses mean affection?

maggiestar

Visit site
Bit of a random question but I was thinking of all the horses I've known and loved over the years and how they all react differently to affection. Some of them move away and pull 'stop it mum' faces while others just stand and tolerate it. Others of course love a bit of fuss.
I expect most of us like planting a smacker on a soft equine nose but what do you think horses make of it in general? Do they think humans are weird for kissing them? Or do they instinctively know it means we love them?

That's some Saturday night philosophy!

eggs

Visit site
Given that they don't kiss each other ai very much doubt that they read it as a sign of affection. Having said that though one of my horses does have a very kissable nose!

oldie48

Visit site
No I shouldn't think so but they do know what they like and I'm sure it's not kisses. Rose will often present her head to me so I can scratch her between the ears, fortunately she tolerates my more affectionate attention so she does get a hug or a kiss.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I'm sure horses think humans are weird most of the time.

I have one that will very gently bring his muzzle up to your face, sniff your breath and give a wet hairy kiss... And the other would give you a shove in the gob and then nicker (snigger) about it.
Both reactions are entirely in keeping with their individual natures.

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Stupidly taught my horse to give kisses so if anyone goes to give him a kiss he looks like he's about to eat your face (he doesn't) because he's anticipating treats. Won't be teaching that "cute" trick again! Little sod does it any time he can get his muzzle near your face.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My Draft mare had a game that she played over the stable door 'Whose turn is it next?', she would offer her nose for a kiss and a treat and if there was more than one person available she would make us take turns but she would proffer her nose to one person and then move quickly to kiss a different person instead, she knew it made us laugh and she could go on for ages.
We had a Welsh cob who made 'kissy' noises with her lips because we did it to her when we first got her.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think mine has come to understand it means some sort of affection. If I hold his head and kiss his face and his nose just above his nostrils if he’s in the right mood his eyes will go all soft and dreamy and he’ll be really still.

He also does a kissy face if he’s begging for treats but that’s a different thing altogether.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Bit of a random question but I was thinking of all the horses I've known and loved over the years and how they all react differently to affection. Some of them move away and pull 'stop it mum' faces while others just stand and tolerate it. Others of course love a bit of fuss.
I expect most of us like planting a smacker on a soft equine nose but what do you think horses make of it in general? Do they think humans are weird for kissing them? Or do they instinctively know it means we love them?

That's some Saturday night philosophy!
I confess I snog the shnoz’s off all of mine on a daily basis!🤷‍♀️🙈 I just love the smell of a horses mouth so just can’t help myself!🤣🤣 I like to think they ‘enjoy’ it 🤷‍♀️🙊 they certainly seem to tolerate it well 🙈

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The Beast sticks her face over her stable door for a goodnight snozzle kiss most nights. She's a really gregarious type and will stick her nose in any human face for a good sniff given half a chance. No idea what she thinks about it or gets out of it.

She also likes to stand and listen to any conversations/craic. Proper gossip she is.

Lammy

Visit site
Silly boy will follow me around the field in the summer whilst I’m poo picking, demanding raspberries to be blown on his nose. He loves it so if he gets a kiss he also gets a raspberrie!

My old girl you had to be quick to get a kiss in before you got the ears back, ‘what are you doing peasant?!’ look.

silv

Visit site
People probably think I am mad, but when I go horse shopping a non negotiable trait is that he/she needs to love being fussed over and is friendly. I wouldn't want something that was grumpy and aloof. My horses are my friends and we need to enjoy each others company. I love it when I scratch my mare and give her a treat, her eye goes all soft. My cute little gelding constantly whickers trying to tell me a story, he is very kissable too.

However I don't really think they understand affection as such.

scats

Visit site
I’m pretty sure horses just put up with us. We ‘speak’ a totally different language to them and most of them cope without any issues, so I imagine they simply just put up with this weird human behaviour and have absolutely no thoughts about it, other than possibly ‘get out my face’ which Millie translates to me in the form of a snarl. She doesn’t do kisses on the face, so I try to respect that. She tolerates a hug.
Diva was at her happiest when my face was closest to hers, she liked to smell me, breathe on me, lick me.... and she seemed absolutely delighted when I kissed her muzzle. I assume she thought I was just doing to her what she did to me.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have one that loves attention and contact, even in a field he comes up to me and breathes and slobbers all over me but hates the sound of a kiss and will put his ears back and shake his head if I make that noise.

Horses don't communicate as we do but I do think they read intention and pick up emotions.

Finlib

Visit site
No why would we inflicted what we see as ' love ' onto our Horses ?They don't see kisses as he loving them
I have a neighbour who insists on kissing her ponies on the face one pulled away and she said he hates it but I'll keep doing it until he allows it .Basically she will wear him down until he tolerates it because it proves I love him. What !!!!!

Trinket12

Visit site
Sugar enjoys scratches and I can sneak in a hug by scratching her withers 😆 sometimes she’ll give me a snuffle and if an slowly breathe into her nose she breathes back and relaxes. I don’t know if she understands what a kiss is as such, but she’s quite extroverted and enjoys attention.

I know when she’s done though, I get one stamp of her foot and a direct look that says “time to go Mum” 😆

Lois Lame

Visit site
I sometimes kiss the cat on the top of his head, but I won't kiss a horse. Sometimes I plant my head under his thick flaxen mane, and take in his perfume. I like that, and he doesn't seem to mind.

But personally I see the kissing of horses to be potentially leading to a whack in the teeth or jaw (of the person)(accidently), and I don't like the thought of that. :)

I told myself not to post -- let people enjoy kissing their horses. But myself wouldn't listen.