Do I buy...

FlyingCircus

Visit site
a thread for all things purchasing. Feel free to add your own.

I'll start. Do I buy a VIP pad? I'm very suckered into the marketing and there have been previous threads on here where people seemed equally as suckered in. So, after the initial marketing frenzy, are people really still getting on with them and recommending them?

CMcC

Visit site
Yes, to the VIP.

My turn.

Do I buy a fancy neckstrap black with contrast stitching or do I keep using the brown strap off a martingale that doesn’t match my tack?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Another yes to the VIP.

Not sure on the contrast stitching - it almost always looks tacky (pardon the pun).

Do I buy sheepskin lined overreach boots for my mare who is suddenly getting rubbed by the rubber ones? And if so which ones?

McFluff

Visit site
Another yes to the VIP pad, even my normally anti-pad saddler agrees that it is fine to use. But do get your saddler to check fit at next fitting.
another fan of brown tack here...sorry!
I have the sheepskin le meiux over-reach for travelling, seem good.
I must not buy more tack
but I do keep admiring the flex-on stirrups - getting fed up with metal marks off my jins (which are perfectly functional and comfy otherwise!)

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Another yes to the VIP.

Not sure on the contrast stitching - it almost always looks tacky (pardon the pun).

Do I buy sheepskin lined overreach boots for my mare who is suddenly getting rubbed by the rubber ones? And if so which ones?
I found that some rubber ones rub my horse but others don’t? I really like the Horze neoprene bell boots but as well as there not being any rubs, it’s the only kind of boot that my horse won’t break in a week ? (has to wear them for turnout because he’s a t*t).

DirectorFury

Visit site
Buy all the things!
I found no difference at all with the VIP, though I think I'm an outlier based on others experiences.

Do I buy another pair of Freejumps (pls no arguments about them) in black for my dressage saddle because the 10 seconds it takes to swap them between my dressage and jump saddle is irritating me?
And do I buy a new pair of long boots despite my existing pair having not yet fallen to bits?

Ceriann

Visit site
Saddler told me vip was great so obviously I bought it - recommended by me too.

Fancy safety stirrups - yes absolutely.

Similar theme - do I buy tech dressage stirrups and/or those lovely wide stirrup leathers. Both promise to reduce joint ache and improve position.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Obviously every one should purchase all these essential items immediately! I was going to buy a VIP pad but instead bought a wow saddle ?. Also tempted by new stirrups for absolutely no good reason (the tred on my current sprengers need a good clean!) And also have considered the wide stirrup leathers, although 'luckily' I need the leathers that fasten at the bottom so my money should stay safely tucked away for a while longer!!

J&S

Visit site
Please tell me about these wide stirrup leathers....... I have developed a wandering left leg. Then I will obviously need to buy said leathers!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Another yes to the VIP.

Get neoprene ones they look better for longer I had fur ones and they looked rubbish very quickly.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes, to the VIP.

My turn.

Do I buy a fancy neckstrap black with contrast stitching or do I keep using the brown strap off a martingale that doesn’t match my tack?

Get a balance strap that goes on your saddle they are more discreet and great for hanging on to in those oh dear moments.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Well this thread is dangerous...but serious question, should I buy a haybar?
Of course! ?.

I use a hay cube (for unsoaked hay) but have also used a hay bar. Both keep hay tidy is the corner so reduce it being used as bedding. Both have pros and cons but ultimately I like them. Just need to keep them clean. (hay bar should be attached high enough to clear out underneath)

sportsmansB

Visit site
I already own everything on this except a hay bar :D
Anyone looking purchases justified, I'm your girl
Yes to VIP
No to having to change stirrups beween saddles
Yes to straps matching other tack
Yes to new overreach boots, especially if they are rubbing (though the fur doesn't stay fresh for very long, depending on what you're usung them for)

Widgeon

Visit site
Can I widen this to non horse related?
Should I buy a long wool cardigan/ cardigan / poncho / pashmina for warmth WFH instead of wearing dressing gown on top of clothes like a slob?

Yes. Long wool cardigan is the answer. Mine isn't wool and it's only from Matalan, but it must be one of my most-worn items of clothing. It goes on top of anything and everything.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Of course! ?.

I use a hay cube (for unsoaked hay) but have also used a hay bar. Both keep hay tidy is the corner so reduce it being used as bedding. Both have pros and cons but ultimately I like them. Just need to keep them clean. (hay bar should be attached high enough to clear out underneath)
Hmm you see now I'm thinking I should go for the hay cube....

Reactions: TPO

lottiepony

Visit site
Yes, to the VIP.

My turn.

Firstly I think they should be more links involved so we can all then really understand why we need to purchase too lol!!

secondly - do they do these next straps in brown?....

thirdly - has anyone tried the Scharf Freedom girth? they do a dressage one that would match my saddle perfectly...I'm tempted.... https://thecentreline.co.uk/shop/fo...eedom-dressage-girth-black-with-white-piping/

forthly - shires arma fleece top over reach boots are my go to, wash up beautifully in the washing machine and fairly robust

lottiepony

Visit site
also longing for wide stirrup leathers....

What make my situation more ridiculous is that horse is going to the vets for a work up and honestly preparing for the fact I probably won't be riding for a while!!