Do I buy...

Northern

Visit site
Yes to the VIP, mine is used every ride!

I am eyeing off an Amerigo Dressage saddle, I already own 5 saddles but this one could potentially fit on two of three horses...o_O
I'm trying to be good and forget about it but keep coming back to it!

Silver Clouds

Visit site
Yes to the VIP, mine is used every ride!

I am eyeing off an Amerigo Dressage saddle, I already own 5 saddles but this one could potentially fit on two of three horses...o_O
I'm trying to be good and forget about it but keep coming back to it!

Surely there's no such thing as too many saddles as long as they all fit at least one of your horses? Clearly you must buy it, and if it fits two of your horses then it's positively a bargain ;)

Iznurgle

Visit site
Obviously every one should purchase all these essential items immediately! I was going to buy a VIP pad but instead bought a wow saddle ?. Also tempted by new stirrups for absolutely no good reason (the tred on my current sprengers need a good clean!)

You could do what I do and toss them in with dishwasher alongside bits (with or without your plates!) for a very lazy clean.

Tash88

Visit site
Yes, I have (had) two, one to wear one to wash ? when I had my GP saddle. Now need short girths and miss my stubborn cord ones, they are very good girths.

Thank you! And they aren't that expensive either so I think I'll try one. I also want a VIP pad...

eggs

Visit site
Do I buy sheepskin lined overreach boots for my mare who is suddenly getting rubbed by the rubber ones? And if so which ones?

I use the neoprene Professional Choice over reach boots on my boy who has to wear them in the field. No rubs even when having to trek through muddy gateways in winter.

eggs

Visit site
Flex-on stirrups are my favourite (broken right ankle and ACL repair left knee) and I have bought a pair for each saddle so I don't have to swap them over so I would say 'yes' to both purchases

Now really, really trying to convince myself I don't need a VIP saddle pad

Annagain

Visit site
Can I widen this to non horse related?
Should I buy a long wool cardigan/ cardigan / poncho / pashmina for warmth WFH instead of wearing dressing gown on top of clothes like a slob?

I bought an Oodie - well a cheap Amazon rip off of an Oodie (that are ridiculously expensive for what they are). I love it, in fact I'm wearing it now. I do take it off for meetings with all but my closest colleagues though. I bought it mainly for camping but I wear it all the time, much to OH's disgust. If you curl up on the sofa like I do it's brilliant as it's half jumper half blanket so you can tuck your feet under it.

atropa

Visit site
Do I buy:

A Rambo Vamoose Hoody? My WB has mild sweetich and I recently spent £200 on a Snuggyhood Sweet Itch set for her but its too big despite me buying it in her size and nothing on the website saying I should size down? Plus the Rambo Hoody is currently on sale.

A size down in my Native's Prolite girth? Recently changed saddle and it's now just about too big, going up to 6/7 on each side when it used to go up to 4!

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Do I buy:

A Rambo Vamoose Hoody? My WB has mild sweetich and I recently spent £200 on a Snuggyhood Sweet Itch set for her but its too big despite me buying it in her size and nothing on the website saying I should size down? Plus the Rambo Hoody is currently on sale.

A size down in my Native's Prolite girth? Recently changed saddle and it's now just about too big, going up to 6/7 on each side when it used to go up to 4!
If it’s on sale, absolutely!!

Cherryblossom

Visit site
Should I buy a long wool cardigan/ cardigan / poncho / pashmina for warmth WFH instead of wearing dressing gown on top of clothes like a slob?

Absolutely. I have an old long wool cardigan that I use for just that- it was bought for me by an ex-boyfriend’s mum.... I’ve been married for ten years now! Clearly you’ll get amazing wear out of it!

should I buy balance support reins for my 3.5 year old? She’s not currently holding the reins at all, so I don’t want the reins to become a substitute to the saddle strap, but she does need to learn to steer sometime!

Surbie

Visit site
Shall I buy a Stubben cord girth? I need a black girth to match my new black saddle and people seem to love these...

You can try mine if you'd like... ;)

I love mine. Cobbus seems to go well in it and he's certainly less sweaty than with his humane one.

Do I buy snazzy new stirrup leathers and can someone recommend some of the wide ones? I'd love to try them, and I'm moving to cheaper livery so there will be some spare pennies I can squander.

Last edited:

palo1

Visit site
Shall I buy a Stubben cord girth? I need a black girth to match my new black saddle and people seem to love these...

Yes buy one if you are certain that you won't shrink it in the wash like I did...They are lovely but higher maintenance.

palo1

Visit site
Am I the only one to say 'no' to the VIP pad? They seem to have a brilliant write up but my horse loathed his. I sold it easily though! So yes, buy one and try it, then sell it if need be!!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Of course! ?.

I use a hay cube (for unsoaked hay) but have also used a hay bar. Both keep hay tidy is the corner so reduce it being used as bedding. Both have pros and cons but ultimately I like them. Just need to keep them clean. (hay bar should be attached high enough to clear out underneath)
And haycube ordered (in pink ??) thanks for your suggestion!

FFAQ

Visit site
Well they don't call it retail therapy for nothing, so I think for the good of our mental health these purchases are essential.
Do I buy a hay ball for my cob who is on a diet? I've been tying the string into a trickle net and chucking it on the ground (he's unshod with huge feet), but he's worked out that if he stands on it he can pull the hay out more easily! ?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Well they don't call it retail therapy for nothing, so I think for the good of our mental health these purchases are essential.
Do I buy a hay ball for my cob who is on a diet? I've been tying the string into a trickle net and chucking it on the ground (he's unshod with huge feet), but he's worked out that if he stands on it he can pull the hay out more easily! ?
Yes buy one quick, he's making you look a fool! ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

I guess it depends of if it is just in the house, where a dressing gown is fine? I prefer big, thick, man size sweatshirts for myself.
Do I buy:

If it is on sale, then it would be rude not to!

I have also wondered about the VIP pad, but plumped for the 3 pocket Prolite shim saddle pad, it is doing a great job. I was able to sell a different Prolite, a Proverb and 2 other saddle pads that were not quite as nice :p

Defo for 2 sets of stirrups. I have matching Sprengers, the sad thing is, I only ride Rigsby now, and he only has one saddle. Well... I guess there IS a jump saddle stashed upstairs, so he MAY have a jump one and just doesn't know it?

I have the Stubben string girth. I don't really like it, I find the buckles too wide and refer a shaped leather one. Rigsby, however, prefers his string one, with a full sheep on top!

I am horrified to say that I have no "Do I buy?" questions as... I have had a rubbish couple of years and already have! Rigsby is something of a disappointment there, he doesn't need boots, hardly needs rugging, has simple tack... Pah!

TPO

Visit site
Yes to VIP pad, haycubr and stubben cord girth.

Caution with vamoose rugs if you have farm/yard cats as the chemical that they are impregnated with (starts with P but escapes me just now) is toxic/poisonous to cats. Google will be a lot more informative than I'm managing to be!

Muddywellies

Visit site
a thread for all things purchasing. Feel free to add your own.

I'll start. Do I buy a VIP pad? I'm very suckered into the marketing and there have been previous threads on here where people seemed equally as suckered in. So, after the initial marketing frenzy, are people really still getting on with them and recommending them?
I had a VIP pad, made diddly squat difference, so sold it. I'm seeing them on the second hand market every day now. Sooooo much research goes into our saddles, many of which cost many thousands of pounds, I'm baffled why people put things underneath them trying to improve them. Also, they are thicker and heavier than you'd imagine.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Do I buy:

I’ve just bought a Premier Equine sweetitch hoody and it is brilliant. It has 8 gussets so doesn’t restrict movement, it stays over his ears and the belly flap fully protects his vulnerable midline. I like to wash my fly rugs when they are dirty so vamoose wouldn’t suit me. My horse is a big RID though and PE aren’t really cut for finer horses. You could sell the Snuggyhood on eBay and probably recoup most of your money.

atropa

Visit site
I’ve just bought a Premier Equine sweetitch hoody and it is brilliant. It has 8 gussets so doesn’t restrict movement, it stays over his ears and the belly flap fully protects his vulnerable midline. I like to wash my fly rugs when they are dirty so vamoose wouldn’t suit me. My horse is a big RID though and PE aren’t really cut for finer horses. You could sell the Snuggyhood on eBay and probably recoup most of your money.

I bought the Rambo Hoody yesterday but just had a look at the PE one also and it looks smart so I think I'll get one of those too, thank you! I do need two for washing purposes...I didnt buy the Rambo one for the Vamoose, it just so happened to be that version on sale, so not too bothered about washing it. The Snuggyhood will be going on eBay as soon as the hoody arrives ?

Kat

Visit site

Yes definitely!

They are fab, stable and comfortable, don't rub, look smart, wash easily, aren't sweaty can't fault them.

Mine isn't suitable for either of my saddles but I won't sell it because I like it so much.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Am I the only one to say 'no' to the VIP pad? They seem to have a brilliant write up but my horse loathed his. I sold it easily though! So yes, buy one and try it, then sell it if need be!!
No you're not the only one. They are heavy, cumbersome, and affected the fit of my already well fitting saddle. I sold mine.

Reacher

Visit site
I guess it depends of if it is just in the house, where a dressing gown is fine? I prefer big, thick, man size sweatshirts for myself.

I am horrified to say that I have no "Do I buy?" questions as...

It’s so I look less scruffy in the house in a teams meeting - I found out the hard way that the other participants could see it...

Surely Rigsby needs something! Like a fancy but manly browband?

I bought an Oodie - well a cheap Amazon rip off of an Oodie (that are ridiculously expensive for what they are). I love it, in fact I'm wearing it now. I do take it off for meetings with all but my closest colleagues though. I bought it mainly for camping but I wear it all the time, much to OH's disgust. If you curl up on the sofa like I do it's brilliant as it's half jumper half blanket so you can tuck your feet under it.

I had to google an Oodie - looks very comfortable but similar issue of not wanting to wear in teams meetings ?

The dressing gown has a useful facility in that you can tuck a heat pack inside it on your back and tie the belt around under it and keeps it nicely in position! Even if you get up to make a drink!