Do I go back for a second viewing?

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Definitely steer clear, as not the horse for you. A wrong partner can be awful. You don't say where you are but I've heard good reports of HP Stables in Warwickshire area I think, have a look at their website as they usually have some good steady neddies and they look hard to match the rider to a horse suitable for their needs. Don't limit yourself to a certain breed either, I'm sure there are tons of folk on here that will tell you of great partnerships with a breed they wouldn't have planned on buying. Best of luck and keep us posted on your search. x

Lipza767

Visit site
Be positive, that is such fabulous advice - thank you!
Actually no, I wasn't a confident teenager at all. And my gorgeous horse, Ted, was completely green, but just the kindest, easiest person in the world, albeit a lazy so and so despite his hunting background.
I can't wait to get back to that stage (when I know a horse well) where I laugh off spooks instead of thinking I'm going to be bolted with and die!
Do I have to canter the horse at all until I get it home if my teacher rides it and is ok with it (I know, I know, this is ridiculous, but would really take the pressure off)?
What would you say is the minimum number of times I should see the horse if I'm only going when I can take someone with me (who I'm having to pay, if I'm going to get the most impartial advice)?
Sadly my horsey friends who would give their time for free don't have a shred of fear and so can't really understand what it's like to be nervous.

Nope you don't have to do anything that makes you nervous. My latest horse i walked and trotted around for a few mins. I watched the dealer ride all 3 paces and jump him. Stupidly i picked him up later that day but he's the best horse I've ever bought. I rode him on a loose ish rein, he felt relaxed and he moved nicely when the dealer rode him. You will know if they feel right quite quickly after getting on.

measles

Visit site
Not all young horses are unsuitable for nervous riders, and not all experienced horses are more suitable. However with the support of your instructor to find one, I think that you would benefit from - and crucially enjoy - the education that a schoolmaster with mileage would give you. I am constantly surprised when clients come to us that they are unwilling to consider horses over about 8 years of age when a horse of twice that age can still have so much to offer. To demonstrate my commitment to the older horse or pony, we bought our son a 19yo pony earlier this year and he is the best pony we could have found. Best of luck whatever you decide - and remember it has to be fun.

hph

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I've seen a 10yo ISH with a bit of warmblood in who I really like (and managed to canter on in school with no fencing). Just got one more to see tomorrow before I go back with instructor to make a final decision.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The 10 yr old sounds more suitable but if you are still going to see another, maybe it still isn't the one for you. I have always known as soon as I've sat on a horse if it is for me - in some cases, before I've got on. And as I,ve got older I've become less confident than I used to be on unfamiliar horses.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
The 10 yr old sounds more suitable but if you are still going to see another, maybe it still isn't the one for you. I have always known as soon as I've sat on a horse if it is for me - in some cases, before I've got on. And as I,ve got older I've become less confident than I used to be on unfamiliar horses.

Personally I agree with this. H stole my heart the moment I clapped eyes on him, called his name and watched him rush over to me and proceed to lick my hand whilst I chatted to the YO. My mare before I just clicked with as soon as I sat on her (and never wanted to get off!). However if, like the OP I was a bit of a newbie I'd definitely be inclined to view plenty of horses before making my final decision.

hph

Visit site
I'm the kind of person who likes to hedge my bets, so I'll see as many as I can to be sure.
Typically I've now seen another which might be even better. Watch this space :)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I agree with the other two posters - you may be "the kind of person who likes to hedge my bets" but when you sit on the right one IME you will not want to see any other horse, and will want to seal the deal ASAP. When its right, its right!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I agree with the other two posters - you may be "the kind of person who likes to hedge my bets" but when you sit on the right one IME you will not want to see any other horse, and will want to seal the deal ASAP. When its right, its right!

Yup, when you find the right horse you won't want to run the risk of someone else snapping them up whilst you're hedging your bets ;) Good luck OP, I hope you find the one for you soon x

trottingon

Visit site
From what you've said OP I was in a similar position of looking for my first horse (I had a pony as a teenager a looooong time ago) however I was a fairly confident rider and a little bit more experienced than you seem to be.

I knew that ideally I should get an experienced older horse for a year, then sell it on and get my "ideal" younger partner with the potential to fulfil all my horsey dreams with.
However due to the daft levels of emotional attachment I seem to get with every animal that comes my way ☺️ I knew emotionally I wouldn't be able to sell one on and buy another, I also knew I could not afford the time or money for two horses, so I decided I'd have to look for a horse with enough experience to help bring me on but not too much as I knew it would likely be my horse for life.

I viewed quite a few horses, all okay but unsuitable for various reasons, then saw an advert for a lovely horse much younger than I wanted, and was persuaded by a friend to give him a chance. I went to view him, fell in love at first sight, he didn't put a foot wrong, was a dream to ride, so I bought him.

I've ended up over-horsed, broken boned (me not him), with terrible confidence issues, but I adore him and won't give up. Even though I get incredible pleasure out of having him in my life (can't imagine my life without him now) and will persevere, he's got such a fantastic character, it is really really hard work and I'm certainly not getting the ridden fun I thought I would be.

I should have listened to my head not my heart. Please don't make my mistake, either loan or buy a sensible horse that suits your current abilities. You'll have so much horsey fun that way!!!