Do I need a 400 stable rug

teddypops

Visit site
I’ve never used more than a 200g rug on any horse, even fully clipped. Even a 250 is too warm for them. I don’t layer them either, maybe I just always have hot horses! Buy it if you want it and think your horse will need it. What weight rug do you usually use?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I use a 400 grm if mega cold.

I am one who will not put more than 2 layers on, I don't want to weigh my horse down with endless rugs so he cannot move or has to carry the weight all night.

I got rid of most stable rugs, and every most weights so all I add is an under rug with the equivalent t/o job done.

your post seems to contradict? You mean you have a 400gm liner? Rather than a 400gm stable rug?

liners IME are light weight, I’ve got 50 to 350 in liners. And no fill and 200gm in rugs. Means with a rug and possibly a liner I can create any combination.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
No I don't have a 400 liner I have a 200 liner which I use only when they have a full clip. I use it only when necessary more or less what you do, I add it too the horse to make a combination, max 2 layers just did not word it the best way obviously :).

Peglo

Visit site
I’m pretty rug happy but would never have a need for 400g stable even for the old TB. I think when it’s very cold she gets a 200g on. She seems happiest with a 100g though. I do have a 400g TO though as live northern isles and winter is constant wind and rain.

teddy_

Visit site
Massively depends on your horse?

My very sensitive Trakehner wore a 450g stable with a 250g over the top in the depths of winter when he was fully clipped and he never got too warm.

However, my Thoroughbred would probably keel over if he had just a 450g on in the depths of winter so you really cannot generalise.

tristar

Visit site
i have one now with a 300grm turnout full neck and he is so happy with it, a bit like a walking field shelter, he is out full time

i have the opposite who gets a coat in nov and loses it in feb who is in at night in a thin polar fleece and always like toast

i always buy when they are going cheap, if you can take it off and on as needed , they do get thinner when used usually so end up not so warm after a while, i do not like lots of layers, maybe one is ok, of the sort that clips inside properly.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
I got my fine TB one when I bought him since I live in a exposed area. Has never been opened and the most he's worn is a 220g. So I'd say probably not, easier to put two m/w on if you needed.

Birker2020

Visit site
There is a sale on rugs and there is a 400 stable rug for 50 euro . Part of me thinks it’s way to warm and the other part of what happens if we are snowed in and I ended up regretting not buying it. convinced me out of buying this rug. I know logically I probably won’t need it.
Personally I prefer lots of thinner layers. But I really detest over rugging in horses. I sometimes wake in a panic at night if I am overheated and I can't imagine what it must be like to be too hot and not be able to do anything about it.

I think people still find it is acceptable to over rug rather than not have to go to the bother or expense of clipping a horse and I think that it is as wrong as what we would consider other methods of ownership to be such as overfeeding a horse to the point it is grossly obese or to not seek veterinary attention when a horse is hopping lame.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I used my 450g on my warmblood when it was snowing and he was living out, he wasn't toasty in it but he was warm enough. Saying that he was a chilly horse, clipped and he was on a pretty windy, exposed hill... I hate over rugging but if the horse is happy in it then they're happy in it.

I hate using more than one rug, especially on him as he has very high withers and a low set neck so they always ended up pulling back on his neck and getting 'caught' behind his withers and not sitting correctly. I never used more than one rug at a time on him.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I think people still find it is acceptable to over rug rather than not have to go to the bother or expense of clipping a horse and I think that it is as wrong as what we would consider other methods of ownership to be such as overfeeding a horse to the point it is grossly obese or to not seek veterinary attention when a horse is hopping lame.

Do people really do that? How does over rugging stop you needing to clip? I dont get it.