Do I need planning permission?

jawi

New User
Visit site
We are looking to replace our existing stable block and want to know if we need planning permission.

Our existing stables are over 30 years old and were there when we moved in but are now showing their age. We won't be increasing the size of the concrete pad that the stables and yard are on, just replacing the structure.

I don't want to approach the council at the moment as they wont give information without taking the address.

Any ideas?

Dubsie

Visit site
I agree, it's a repair, as the size is the same. Do take photos of the old structure, as, should for any reason you take down and then leave down for a long time, it might then be seen (by others) to be a build that needs permission. Also if you need to, tell the village gossip you're repairing the stables.

JillA

Visit site
Ask your local planners - it varies from one authority to another and they don't bite! Mine told me I would if I was going to do similar.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I would be inclined to replace as long as the new structure has a similar footprint and profile, it would cut time and costs and you can always apply retrospectively!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would be inclined to replace as long as the new structure has a similar footprint and profile, it would cut time and costs and you can always apply retrospectively!

This. They cant prove the size of it height-wise as its purely a footprint that appears on title deeds so I'd personally just replace without speaking to council, no point drawing their attention to it if you dont have to ;)

jawi

New User
Visit site
Thanks all. The concrete pad won't be bigger but the stables on it might be a different shape, better organised. My wife suggests just going ahead and don't tell the planners, I on the other hand would rather make everything is legal and above board.

JillA

Visit site
Depends whether you have neighbours who might report it................I had at least one who would report me for the slightest thing, but if you don't, 4 years without any objections until they can no longer enforce isn't that long. I would still ring and talk to someone in your local planning department off the record.

Greylegs

Visit site
There's a lot of useful info about planning requirements on the government's planning portal. Google "planning permission" and go to the official .gov site. That should tell you the rules without you going to the local authority.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Much of the advice given here is what various people would do in your place & not a definitive answer regarding planning permission. If you do go ahead & replace/rebuild your stables, as some have voiced, without planning consent you must realise that the planning authority could order you to demolish your building if consent was not given. That would be an expensive mistake.

Contact your council planners & speak to them about what you would like to do & ask their advice. They may say you can replace as long as the foot print is not enlarged. They may say planning would be needed, in either way go with what they say that way whatever you do will be within the law.

old hand

Visit site
My planning advisor who used to a Local Authority Planning Manager told me never to replace all the stables at once as I would need new planning permission, which although unlikely to be unsuccessful would be costly. She said to repair one or two at a time or do the walls and then the roof , for example. She also said to make sure that any "repairs" complied with the Animal Welfare regulations, e,g, size of stables and the hay storage area being separate from the stables and substantially away from them because of fire regulations.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
It would also massively depend on what you're replacing them with. If it's the same material I can't see it being an issue. If you're replacing a wooden stable with wood it's not an issue, if you're replacing it with brick then it's a totally different structure than the stables that originally were granted permission.. Around here the planners will only give wooden stables permission.