Do I need to get vet out if I decide to PTS?

indie999

Visit site
Hoping we have a little longer but old horse on bute and not going to improve long term just keep comfortable(I am upping Bute now but not much else can offer except keep my eyes open on him ). Now do I have to get my vet out again or can I make the arrangement to PTS if I think its time? Sorry stupid question but I realise I need to get our local hunt number handy to be prepared when the time comes. Just want to be fully prepared.

Thank you.

be positive

Visit site
You need to contact the hunt, if that is where you want him to go ,as they do not all offer this service now and if they cannot do it you have time to make other arrangements.

indie999

Visit site
Thanks very much, keep changing my mind on injection or gun! Urgh! But just need to be prepared. My vet wanted to take him for more xrays but he is elderly horse and was xrayed with problems a few years ago so I cant see the point as he isnt going to get better.

But thank you for responding. Not easy is it..just want the best for an old friend,its at back of my mind all the time!.

Littlelegs

Visit site
If its injection then either ring the vets anything from a few weeks before to book it, or if you have a good friend get them to ring for you.

be positive

Visit site
Thanks very much, keep changing my mind on injection or gun! Urgh! But just need to be prepared. My vet wanted to take him for more xrays but he is elderly horse and was xrayed with problems a few years ago so I cant see the point as he isnt going to get better.

But thank you for responding. Not easy is it..just want the best for an old friend,its at back of my mind all the time!.

It sounds like there is no point in more xrays, as you say if he is old and there will be no real treatment there is no reason to investigate something just for the sake of it.
There are different views on the methods, I have seen both, it is quick whichever used, the hardest part is making the arrangement when it is planned rather than emergency.
Take your time to make the right choice for you and your horse and have someone there for you on the day.

Goldenstar

Visit site
There is no need to involve a vet unless you want to .
I prefer to have them shot ( I do get the vet to do it but that's because she's my BF) .
I am sorry your old friend in nearing the time but he's lucky to have you watching out for him.

ex racer rider

Visit site
I am very sorry to hear this, but im sure he has had a fab life with you. In regards to injection vs gun I would always choose injection, I had my mare (only 6yo :( ) pts in november and it is the best option in my eyes... They can inject twice but god forbid they have to shoot twice and it has happened. But imho I thought the injection was very peacefull as she was sedated first and then given the inj and if I had to do it again with any horse (circumstances permitting) I would choose injection every time.
however no matter what method you decide on you are ultimately making the right choice... One of the hardest choices you will have to make. You want to remember your horse fit and healthy not bumbling around in pain so kudos to you for thinking about pts as it is hard and ylour doing the right thing. *hugs*

Littlelegs

Visit site
Which method you choose is entirely up to you. Shooting is undoubtedly less pleasant for the owner, although its what I'd choose myself, however it has to be the choice that you decide is best for your horse, not what anyone else prefers. The only thing I would say is that if you do choose a bullet, most vets rarely use this method so in that case its usually better to get either the hunt or a reputable knacker man. It is also possible to have the vet out to sedate them beforehand. Injection is just the vet. Horrible time for you, but easier to think it all through now than a week before x

cambrica

Visit site
Really feel for you, I've been through it many times and always choose injection. Bear in mind that with injection you would have to have a cremation
or burial (although the latter is technically illegal).
Lost my mare less than two weeks ago through colic so a decision had to be quickly but the vet was there with the injection at hand. She went quietly which is all I could have asked.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Really feel for you, I've been through it many times and always choose injection. Bear in mind that with injection you would have to have a cremation
or burial (although the latter is technically illegal).
Lost my mare less than two weeks ago through colic so a decision had to be quickly but the vet was there with the injection at hand. She went quietly which is all I could have asked.

It's not illegal to bury a domestic horse ,I always get mine taken to the kennels after not sure if you can do it after an injection BF ( the vet ) is coming for dinner tonight OP I will ask her if it helps.

cambrica

Visit site
It's not illegal to bury a domestic horse ,I always get mine taken to the kennels after not sure if you can do it after an injection BF ( the vet ) is coming for dinner tonight OP I will ask her if it helps.

I always thought this and have had a couple of horses buried in the field but the vet said that the laws have changed and horses are classed by defra as livestock now not pets, she spelled it out loud and clear that it was now illegal. I don't know personally as I've never looked into it and am only going on her advice. However many people just go ahead and bury anyway and my local farmer had no objection lending a hand with his jcb.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Others have answere your initial question indie999. Just wanted to send you support as its not easy whichever way it goes. I'd agree no more investigations - I believe that there comes a time where just because we can doesn't mean we should.

For what it's worth, I choose injection. Sedation first, then the second injection. The ones I've been involved in have been peaceful; nonetheless heartbreaking, but gentle on animal and me.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Others have answere your initial question indie999. Just wanted to send you support as its not easy whichever way it goes. I'd agree no more investigations - I believe that there comes a time where just because we can doesn't mean we should.

For what it's worth, I choose injection. Sedation first, then the second injection. The ones I've been involved in have been peaceful; nonetheless heartbreaking, but gentle on animal and me.

I don't inject because the first one I saw wS a dreadful undigified experiance for the horse it fought and fought to stay on its feet made the most god awful Whinney as it went down not a risk I am willing to run for one of my horses.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Calling time has to be the worst thing in the world. Horse people know when it's time, but it doesn't make it any easier. Once it's over, the awfulness of the deed is gone but for me, the sadness of their loss is what takes the real 'getting over'.

I wish you well.The old boy is lucky to have you thinking so carefully about him. x

Luci07

Visit site
It is a little unfair when other posters try to impose their personal preferences on how to PTS and quite frankly, scaremongering is just unkind at this time.

You DO have to be organised and THAT is the hard part. So, once you have decided how you want to do it, you need to see if the hunt will or if it's the vet, what their options are. Some vets will not give you a choice. the actual "disposal" (horrid term) is often trickier. If its the hunt, them they will remove but if it's your vet you need to book removal and give a bit of notice, plus deciding if you want cremation etc.

i think having to do this planning is the hardest bit as it feels so hard to be working out these details but you need to distance yourself and this will save additional heartache.

As for which option, I have seen both. Both worked properly, both done by vets. My old boy was PTS by injection when ill but had he been younger and fitter I would have had him shot as he always fought sedation massively.

Sorry you are going through this. You are ultimately, doing the very best by your old boy.

indie999

Visit site
Hi

Thanks very much again, as with us all i just want the best for him. Next week will ring hunt just to pre empt etc I know our hunt is good & kind at this, but I did also speak to vet about injection. I dont want to start debate as I personally can see pros of both methods.

I thought I was realistic and tough and be very right thing to doish!

He is lucky and has had a good innings/nice life etc.

Thanks for the replies again.

milesjess

Visit site
I'm going through the same situation. My boys going to pass at then end of this month :(

Its horrible but sounds like you know it's right, thoughts are with you x

joelb

Visit site
It is a little unfair when other posters try to impose their personal preferences on how to PTS and quite frankly, scaremongering is just unkind at this time.

Agee with this absolutely. If you look hard enough there are horror stories for both methods but the important thing is they are both quick and offer a dignified end. Only those who actually know the animal and circumstances can decide which method is preferable.

Good luck OP, you have the time to consider your options and make plans. There will be plenty of support on here for you if needed at what will be a very difficult time.

goodtimes

Visit site
So sorry OP - this is a very difficult but wise decision.

I had my boy PTS last summer by injection at the vets. I didn't want him PTS at home as we are on a busy yard with with loads of nosey busy boddies so chose to take him to the vets where it was quiet and private. He was sedated first. I stayed with him. The vets organised his disposal. I didn't do anything other than pay the bill at the end of the month (which came with a lovely sympathy card)

My new boy will have to be shot as he hates injections.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
As others have said, unless you opt for the injection, you do not need to involve/inform your vet.

We are fortunate enough to have a good equine crematorium locally. They always come out equipped with a bucket of feed for the horse. One of our local hunts (they are all foot hunts) will still come out to pts horses/collect fallen stock.

I do wish every-one would put their plans in place, so that the decision is a little easier to make when the time comes. I would agree with you that there comes a time when as the responsible owner we have to say 'enough is enough', particularly for the oldies.

OP, if you would like to know about our experiences of pts and why we make the decisions that we do, feel free to pm me.

TheoryX1

Visit site
OP, I really cant offer any practical advice as have never had one of my horses PTS, but I admire your courage and forethought. As the saying goes, its better a day too early etc. My tu9ghts are with you and I do hope he as a peaceful end.