Do i pay or not pay?

Friesianfoal1999

Visit site
Hi there,

Question, would you pay?
I have just been told we have to pay for the harrowing for the field, we have been at the yard for a year and a half. And it wasnt harrowed for a couple of years before we got here.
We are also handing in our notice on this thursday coming and will be leaving 4 weeks after that.
Would you pay? i feel like im just paying for them to benefit from it?
I think its fair to pay half of the amount asked for what we have used.

what do you think?? be honest i want to do whats right

Friesianfoal1999

Visit site
It depends on if you want to leave on good terms and if you don’t mind burning your bridges. If you are going because or something they’ve done or not don’t then no, I probably wouldn’t pay.
Thanks !
Is there a written contract? Did it state who was responsible for paying for the harrowing of the field? How much money are they asking for?
Yep there is and it does state we have to. But what annoys me is 6 other horses have been on the yard in the last year alone and have left.

holeymoley

Visit site
I agree with the others on it depending on what terms you want to leave.

It should be factored in to livery fees though... a bit like a yard I was at charging through the nose for basic diy and then charging an extra £25 a month for muck heap removal! Rats.

Shay

Visit site
If you haven't handed in your notice yet - yes. You are legally responsible under the terms of the contract. If you have handed in your notice - then possibly no, depending on the precise terms.

But is it going to be enforced? Quite probably not - and obviosuly if procedings are issued against you then just pay. But more importantly is reputation. Is it going to matter to other YOs and is it going to impact your choice of livery going forward?

Legal niceties aside - if you skipout on a livery bill other yards around you will know. I know some don't mind. It might depend on how many you have to choose from.

Upthecreek

Visit site
If it’s in the contract you should pay according to what is stated as that is what you agreed to. Harrowing is necessary at this time of year and I don’t think it makes any difference that you are leaving. Personally I think it’s really poor form to sign a contract and then try to get out of what is agreed because you’ve decided to leave. Don’t forget once you’ve given notice you still have 4 weeks there and it could be quite unpleasant. Presumably you paid a deposit and YO could withhold this if you break the terms of the contract.

Nasicus

Visit site
If it a field you had use of over winter? If so, then yes, as you've used it and the horses are the reason it needs harrowing now, presumably to break up the poo and help smooth it out a bit.
It's not 'harrowing for their future benefit' so much as 'harrowing to repair the (unavoidable) damage your horses have done' in that case.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
You will have to pay as it's in the contract but I do see why it feels unfair as other people who happened to leave before the bill came in have not and their horses have had use of the land and contributed to the need to for it to be done.

It's why it makes more sense to include it in the livery charge, then everyone contributes towards it for the time they are there.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don’t think I’d pay given they didn’t harrow last year or previous years. Have they delivered everything they say they will in their side of the contract? IME livery contracts are not worth the paper they’re written on as often they don’t deliver their side but expect liveries to comply. They’ll also change them whenever it suits.

Trouper

Visit site
I wouldn't imagine that harrowing costs shared out between liveries would be enormous so I would pay and ride off into the sunset from the moral high ground. If it is in your contract, but they have not done it yearly in the 18 months you have been there, then you have already "benefitted" from one missed harrowing. Not worth the argument I think.

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
Yes I would pay, but I would politely suggest to the Yard Owner that this be included in monthly livery fees going forward, with a clear costs breakdown so there are no disgruntled feelings in future.

Dusty 123

Visit site
Yes I would pay there is no point living on bad teams because you didn’t pay . You don’t want to give yourself a bad reputation because other yards will find out . Once it’s in a contract you have to pay. I actually never heard of a yard expecting people to pay for harrowing I always got it for free.

Last edited: