Do I still need my BHS membership?

naomibmck

Visit site
I picked up a BHS gold membership a few years ago, as I was riding other people's horses for them and the owner recommend it for insurance purposes. I've kept it on out of habit, but currently I'm only riding in riding schools occasionally, though hoping to get a few more regular lessons soon. Is there any benefit/ use to keeping it on if I'm only visiting riding schools? I appreciate the work of the organisation, but obviously it's a decent chunk of money to be spending as a student.

teapot

Visit site
Do you need the insurance or for exams/challeng awards? If not, it is an expensive outgoing for what you get in return.

pistolpete

Visit site
Jumping in as I’m similar situation. Are there other insurances that cover riding other peoples horses? Thanks.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
You shouldn't need it, check with the riding school, but if you decide that you would like to be covered then have a look at Harry Hall Gold membership. About half the price of BHS, plus you get discounts on horse and dog stuff. I got my payment back after counting discounts from a pair of breeches, a ceramic vest, a pair of gloves and two dog jackets.

naomibmck

Visit site
Thanks everyone! Think I'll pause it for now and will look into the Harry Hall if I get back into riding for other people.

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
Riding school should have there own insurance. You only need insurance if you own a horse if you riding other people horse the owner should be covering you under there insurance.

oldjumper

Visit site
Also - HH is half the cost of BHS but so is their max 3rd pay out!
Which seems fine until one or more fatalities incurred eg in road traffic accident.

naomibmck

Visit site
Also - HH is half the cost of BHS but so is their max 3rd pay out!
Which seems fine until one or more fatalities incurred eg in road traffic accident.

That's definitely something to bear in mind. I'm assuming I won't need to worry about it unless I get my own horse, though?