Do junior riders (SJ) want a gung-ho fast pony, or a well trained, responsive one?

mystiandsunny

Visit site
Wondering - pony clears jumps if she is sent at them fast, and current rider (doing well on her) tends to go round at speed, checking a few strides out then flying over them all. I've spent time and effort getting the pony to canter in a steady balance, uphill etc into each fence, yet have to work hard to get this back after each comp my junior rider has her for. Is it worth it? Will prospective purchasers next year want something fast and furious, or well trained and controlled? Or do juniors tend to let ponies choose their own stride etc and just go, steer and turn?

Cruiseonamiro

Visit site
I think it totally depends on the rider and you can't really stereotype all junior riders obviously... if gung-ho is your ponies way of going then there will be a jockey to suit, and all your hard work on the flat will be rewarded if you ever came to sell the pony as it opens up other avenues :) i'm not counted as a junior anymore, but I have to say I love speedy ponies that can see their own stride pretty much with just a check - not that i'm lazy or anything! :)

flying solo

Visit site
I find youngsters who are looking to buy jumping ponies what something that goes.
The faster the better! They want to win and you need to be pretty fast in jump offs to be placed.

All your flat work will have a big part to play in it too though as if it was ridden fast constantly it would lose it scoop over the fences so don't give up on your hard work.

JamilaParr

Visit site
i don't think generally it matters. i imagine serious riders/their parents will want something that's going to get round the course and preferably be in the money.. however the pony jumps best. xx

Eventer96

twitter.com
Being a junior rider I would much prefer a well trained, responsive pony.... can you tell I am an eventer? ;) :p

On a more serious note, serious junior riders will probably go for the more gung-ho style so they can achieve the fast rounds that lead to winning. Down to the individual I suppose. :)

sassybebe

Visit site
i think it depends on the level too, if you've got a pony that can race round 1m/1.10m classes and win then there's a market for those but to jump the bigger classes the ponies tend to need to be more responsive and listen to the rider. there are always exceptions however

BSJAlove

Visit site
when i was on ponies, a bit of both was fine. when i was in the ring, it was all about tight turns and missing as many strides as i could to save time. but my ponies could also do a very good dressage test. i classed them as very well schooled, they just knew that in the showjumping ring, it was all systems go :)

foxy1

Visit site
I used to produce ponies for junior BS (JA in those days!) riders, and I would say they really want a pony that takes them to the fence. If the pony doesn't go very very fast, they won't win any classes so the rider is turning and kicking and definately not hanging about looking for strides!