do kick along type horses exist anymore???

ew1801

Visit site
as title really. a friend of mine is looking for a horse after she had to sell her last one when it tried to kill her.
every horse we go and see that is described as a laid back confidence giver are the complete opposite. we have been to look at loads and shes starting to get disheartened now an i feel so sorry for her

pointless post really :)

Wheels

Visit site
Yes they do!!

I have one :D but only on loan - I sold my last horse as he wasn't suitable for the amount of road work I had to do & I wanted something to ride until my 2 year old was ready to back.

I think the owners of such horses don't really want to part with them which maybe why your friend is having such difficulties

BlueCakes

Visit site
Agree with everything thats been said.

A riding school is definitely your best bet, and if you can, watch the horse in a lesson or two being ridden my novices. x

Rollin

Visit site
as title really. a friend of mine is looking for a horse after she had to sell her last one when it tried to kill her.
every horse we go and see that is described as a laid back confidence giver are the complete opposite. we have been to look at loads and shes starting to get disheartened now an i feel so sorry for her

pointless post really :)

I own five pure-bred CB's, four are backed and ridden inc. 17hh stallion. I am not a brave rider but they never give me a moment's anxiety.

With the exception of my first horseand my home breds all my horses came direct from breeders and four have been backed since I bought them. (I also have Shagya Arabs)

indiat

Visit site
I have to agree with Rollin, its often easier to buy this type as a youngster from a breeder. We had the perfect family horse and when she died we set about trying to find a replacement - like your friend, we found it nigh on impossible. We ended up buying a two year old highland pony from a reputable breeder and he is a little star. Very laid back and good with the children and takes all the noise and idstraction of a big busy yard in his stride. Luckily, we are liveried at a riding school so we still get plenty of opportunity to ride and are looking forward to him being backed in September. I think its true people just do not want to part with them when they have them - my old mare would never have been for sale at any price. She was worth her weight in gold and was the perfect nanny to two small children. We still miss her dreadfully. :(

ischa

Visit site
yes they do ,i brought one last weekend , and is a god send
since been here she has been out with myself and also carried ,my 8 yr son around the block who hasnt ridden sice he was 5 and my 5 yr who has not really ridden , she hasnt put a foot wrong
she was at a bargin of 2500 so defently out there keep looking

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes they do - and they're worth their weight in gold! I was fortunate enough to buy mine really cheaply recently but that was just luck.
I agree that a RS would be a good place to start looking. The previous owner of my ID who had lost her confidence offered to buy the RS horse which she had been getting her confidence back on. As she said 'you just have to offer the right price'

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I'm sure you don't need it saying, but do be aware if you buy a pony from a riding school, especially if it looks a bit poor, he'll probably perk up once you've got him home, and are giving him lots of love, a varied lifestyle and feeding him well.

I've known of people who bought their favourite riding school pony, only to find them to become too much of a handful when only ridden a few hours a week, as opposed to a few hours a day in a RS environment.

indie999

Visit site
Yep agree with last poster I remember a lady bought her childrens favourite riding school pony who never put a foot wrong! It became a different pony once it was out and about. In fact I vaguely remember the new owner complaining that she had been done! But she had not!

I have just been having some riding school lessons and was told the perfect dressage horse that I was riding bolts if it goes out of the school!! yakes! Would never have thought!

I have just retired my plod and he is going nowhere, a real kick along and its only now he is retired I realise just what I had! I have been looking and am fed up looking, so am just putting the feelers out with possibility of doing a wanted locally.

Good luck takes all sorts!

Bug2007

Visit site
Agree with everything thats been said.

A riding school is definitely your best bet, and if you can, watch the horse in a lesson or two being ridden my novices. x

^^^^^ some continue to be kick along others once back in a private home, regain the will to live and totally change in charcter and way of going. No way of knowing until you get it home.

We got a retired one from a riding school been there all it's life now 27. Was dead in his eye and swwet as a nut for the kids...still is mainly, but he has a spark back in his eye and mum almost got dragged by him (11.2hh) with my 5 year old nephew on board the other day as he was loving life again.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
My youngster is like that- bless him, he's so quiet that my OH hunted him 4 weeks after his broken back was operated on to remove the rods! Problem is he is too small for him and waaay too quiet for me :(

LegOn

Visit site
I'm sure you don't need it saying, but do be aware if you buy a pony from a riding school, especially if it looks a bit poor, he'll probably perk up once you've got him home, and are giving him lots of love, a varied lifestyle and feeding him well.

I've known of people who bought their favourite riding school pony, only to find them to become too much of a handful when only ridden a few hours a week, as opposed to a few hours a day in a RS environment.

Absolutely! It worked out to my advantage though when I bought my horse from a RS, he got a new lease of life, still gave me lots of confidence but just perked up & got back his 'get up & go' He is still kick-along when I put anyone else on him, cause he goes back into 'school-mode' but when Mammy is on board, we know each now & what is expected so he motors along nicely! Not a handful now, but more than a plod :D I love my little hot cob!

Foxy girl

Visit site
All I'd say is don't discount a horse on age - I've just bought a real kick along cob to give me my confidence back after my mare tried to kill me and he is only 6. I nearly didn't go see him cos of his age but he is the most laid back chap ever.

They do exist but you will probably have to search hard for one - good luck!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
These type of horses are out there but many are not placed on the internet. Don't rely on the various web sites to find what you want, there are infinately more horses for sale that never appear on the net.

You will probably find your ideal horse within a few miles of where you live. Check notice boards at Tack Shops, Pony Clubs, word of mouth at shows etc etc. If you keep looking on the net you will end up doing miles & miles & wasting hours of your time & gallons of fuel. Don't discount dealers either, they know the true value of a horse without attaching any emotions to the deal as private sellers invariably do. Contrary to popular belief there are more good dealers out there than bad & their reputation means everything to them so they will find you the right animal.

Good Luck with your search, it will come right in the end. :)

ew1801

Visit site
thanks for all the replys. we have tried the local riding schools and they havent anything apart from one school but i have told her to stay well away because of the reasons previous posters have said
shes looking for 14.2hh to 15.3hh 6 to 12 years. something that would rather be kicked on then held back and something that is just sane and will pop a small course of jumps at a steady laid back pace

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Um, re. previous posts suggesting an ex-riding school horse .... IME these horses often metamorphasise dramatically once they're out of the riding school plod-along setting, i.e. following the bum ahead, and can be really quite challenging once they're no longer in a disciplined environment and also not getting the workload they've been used to.

I've a friend who deals with difficult horses professionally, and she deals with a lot of horses which people have bought from riding schools thinking it was gonna be a plod, and it turns out a bit different to what the buyer expected!!!

Often riding school horses will have learnt some little tricks on the way, and if bad habits have been allowed to develop then you're gonna have a horse which is a bit of a challenge.

Having said that, mine is an ex-trekker. I had him on winter loan originally, then liked him and asked if he might be for sale (he was!). So I had a good time to try him out and see what he was like, BUT he did come with some rather surprising nasty habits & knew exactly how to dump someone he either didn't like or who made him do stuff he didn't like. I certainly wouldn't describe him as a kick-a-long ride, tho' he is fairly unflappable (most of the time!).

You could always try an agent; I know people will have mixed experiences concerning this, but I did try one when I was looking a few years ago and she did filter out a lot of horses that I would probably have wasted time on looking at - she came highly recommended locally, and I personally wouldn't touch with a bargepole anyone who wasn't recommended by someone I know.

Good luck!