Do my clipper blades need grinding?

minesadouble

Visit site
Always used my clippers (Lister Libertys) on my own horse, who I clip right out. This year I have trace clipped my daughters pony & found that where I'm not clipping 100% entirely against the run of the coat - eg line along quarters - they aren't clipping properly and I'm not getting a sharp enough line. Having only done full clips this isn't something I've encountered - is this normal or do they need grinding (they are clipping fine other than this).
Also I only have fine blades - would medium be better for hairy ponies?
Thanks in advance.

neigh

Visit site
I'm not really sure what you mean by clipping properley, but you might find medium blades would be better for a first clip on a hairy pony. Its cheap enough to get blades resharpened, so I'd get them done just in case. Blunt blades can pull the hair, and hurt the horse/pony. I've found the cheapest Lister blades at £31.00 per set from Clippersharp, P&P is £1.50. Hope this helps.

minesadouble

Visit site
THanks, clippers are actually lister neons - rather than liberty - not that that makes a lot of difference - by not clipping properly I just mean that they are not giving me a 'clean line' if you know what I mean - but only when not clipping totally agains the grain - when I'm running the in a horizontal line along the quarters when doing a trace clip for example. I didn't know if this is normal or not since it's not really a problem when clipping right out. They'd only done 3 full clips since last grinding but one was on v.wooly beast!

cariadssogreat

Visit site
I run a clipping service and sharpen all blades every 3 clips, I only ever use fine blades, and they are fine on all types. A spare set of blades would set you back £31.04 inc p&p from HCS services. Blade sharpening would be £7.70 inc p&p from them.
With regards to getting a straight line on a horizontal - it is probably that the lay of the fur differs, in which case you need to have the clippers vertical and almost tickle the tips of the fur off to get the straight line, particularly on a furry horse.
Hope this helps,
P.S. I'm sure you never would try to clip with blunt blades, but please dont - because they will pull the fur (ouch) cause the clippers and bades to get hot (ouch) and in the end they will knacker your clippers.