Do older horses sleep more?

Gingerwitch

Visit site
My old girl has been out with grass for the first time in quite a few weeks - we finally thawed last night.

I was at the yard most of the day, and after about 12 o clock i noticed the old girl was having a snooze, she then wondered off and found the sunnyist spot in the field and went to sleep again - quite happily but the rest of the herd was pretty much grazing, or playing and one or two others were having a kip.

One of the other ladies on the yard commented that she was showing her age.... i said what?? well they sleep more just like us humans.

Is this true ?

Cazza525

Visit site
Yep,they do sleep more.
laugh.gif

Angelbones

Visit site
My old boy doesn't particularly lie down in the field but given the chance to bring himself in he'll snuggle down in his shavings and only get up for feed or a wee! Yes I do think it is down to his age, but I don't see anything to worry about, I like to think of him in his wing chair in the nursing home, dozing in the sunshine with his slippers on - he's happy! x

SO1

Visit site
I am not sure that they do - I have a 7 year old who loves relaxing in the sun and will dose off really easily - he has done this ever since I have had him when he was 5.

If I am at a show on a sunny day waiting for a class or in the line up he will take this as a chance to snooze. Because he is so relaxed people often think he is much older than he really is. Being groomed will send him to sleep as well, though he soon wakes up if he thinks there is a chance he will be feed some bucket food or get a mint or go jumping.

Maybe an older horse is more relaxed and secure and that is why they sometimes seems sleepy.

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I actually find younger ones sleep more and certainly get tired far easier when they start working. My 5 year old sleeps alot while my 23 year old hardly ever does. Like people I guess some need more sleep than others!

Chex

Visit site
My oldie certainly sleeps more than he used to. Not so much lying down, but if you leave him standing for more than 20 seconds he falls fast asleep! Quite worrying really but doesn't seem to bother him
crazy.gif

Chavhorse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I actually find younger ones sleep more and certainly get tired far easier when they start working. My 5 year old sleeps alot while my 23 year old hardly ever does. Like people I guess some need more sleep than others!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has been the same since I bought him as a 3.5 year old.

In summer he will happily charge about, play eat then find a sunny spot lay down and go out like a light.

At the moment he is being turned out for 7 hours at a time will spend the whole time playing with his friend and running about then come into his box lay down and sleep.

By the time he hits old age I expect him to be in a semi permanent coma!