Do people only ever walk their dogs ON a lead?!

misterjinglejay

Visit site
My samoyed can go off lead and does frequently, but my malamutes - never. It's a breed thing - they have a very high prey drive, and okay, you can train recall, and for months, if not years, they will come back. But sooner or later they will go - and that's that!

As far as I'm concerned, it's not worth the risk. So many sibes and mals go missing, you hear about it all the time. Owners of the breed are advised never to let them off, unless in a secure area.

Personally, I don't see what's wrong with walking on a lead (we use flexi's and lunge lines); they can have a run, sniff and play. You just have to walk further!

lexiedhb

Visit site
My never goes off lead dog was off lead today in his "safe place" and recalled off a deer- oh yeah oh yeah look at my well trained dog- I actually think he was just too knackered to run anymore due to the weather.................

JFTDWS

Visit site
My collie is almost always off the lead as mostly we walk off the yard or he's loose on the yard. His recall is pretty phenomenal, can call him off deer/ rabbits/ dogs / literally anything we've encountered so far - that is, on the rare occasions we do meet other dogs. Normally only meet the farm dog anyway and they're buddies.

If I am walking from home, he's on the lead down the road to the park as it's busy, then off in the park/fields unless I have reason to lead him (aggressive other dogs etc, I can call him back, I'd rather not risk it!).

stevieg

Visit site
Two of mine spend most of their time off lead where it's safe. The old JRT is kept on a flexi lead as he is almost deaf now and tends to wander off and doesn't hear when we call him back. He's always had selective deafness anyway but he's 16 now and it's the real deal ;)

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
SC- I didn't go looking for an aggressive dog... He had a rough pup-hood and as such this is what has remained.

I too would like a soppy, easy going dog I can walk off the lead but rehiring him because he is like this would be wrong in my eyes. He is the soppiest loveable dog when he is home and home is where he is happiest and home with me is where he will stay regardless of his issues.

rubysmum

Visit site
The rescue bedlington, pos the worst dog we have ever owned:rolleyes:, is never off the lead, he is aggressive and loud, he is not a mad keen walker, we have one very remote walk ( which sadly i can only do when i have company) where he gets off lead time and he happilly mooches around the yard and paddock.
As we are his 3rd rescue home ( he really is quite difficult), lead walks seem better than the other option if we had not kept him

nativepony

Visit site
I have two lurchers, one we've had from a puppy is pretty much off lead all the time although I do put her on lead if I think there are deer around as she can & does chase them! The other is fear aggressive and is never off lead in public even if wearing a muzzle as he will launch himself onto other dogs and is incredibly strong/heavy. Saying that I do take them both to the Greyhound & lurcher rescue where I got from for a good run in their enclosed field, I try to do this once or twice a week. We've also got a fairly large garden so they get to run round like loons out there too! :). I'd love to be able to walk him off the lead as I feel so sorry for him but it just isn't worth the risk!

muddygreymare

Visit site
If it's safe to be off lead and there aren't lots of dogs (he's small and gets picked on a lot - he wont fight back he just stands and quivers :() he'll be allowed off but for roadwork and busy places he's on lead just in case. Plus he is easily distracted in busy places so it's not worth the risk really. He gets to go off lead on walks probably about 3-4 times a week depending where we go and he also gets to run around the garden like a looney so that tires him out too!

honeymum

Bucks/Somerset depends really............
Visit site
My JRT Ellie no longer goes off lead as she has become quite cantankerous with other dogs in her old age, and she also suffers from dementia. She is quite happy on lead as I have a flexi for the park and woods so she can still mostly go where she wants but I still have control..

I would only allow a dog off lead if I had total control as we do with my mum's collie Missy, took them both to the beach this morningn and called Missy back from all sorts of stuff, other dogs, kids with toys and food, she is so well behaved.

Maisie2

Visit site
I have 2 dogs 1 lurcher who I let off only in one particular area as the last time she was free range 2 years ago she went off chasing deer for 8 HOURS:eek: I also have a jrt/bassett with very bendy front legs:( he is quite aggressive - was a very nervous rescue when I had him 2 years ago, So I don't let him off the lead at all, in fact when I first had him I had to buy a dog buggy to put him in as he could barely walk and his paws were in a bad way. Must say my neighbours were most amused:D:D Frankly I think they have enough excercise and have a good sized garden to run around.

PorkChop

Visit site
I rarely put mine on leads, I have two springers and a cane corso. The springers are super obedient, so no problem. If I come across someone walking their dog on a lead then I will stand them all with me or heel them. I am lucky in that we live on a farm so they have free range of that, but I certainly would have no problem walking on a lead if I had a dog that I had reservations with.

CAYLA

Visit site
Mine are rarely on a lead, all walk in a pack/line behind us, my akita spends the least time on a lead, she is very obedient/easy going and will ignore anything/everyone, they all have good recall even in high density bunny/deer areas, they don't care about other dogs.
Even when OH is on his bike they jog along for miles beside him off lead.

You are so right CC lurchers and whips are fab for exercising a pack, we always have what we call a "runner" to pagger the rest.:D

CAYLA

Visit site
It's when you see a Drama Queen GSD plant themselves on the floor and scream 'I CAN'T CATCH IT! WAHHHHHHHHHHH!'

LMFAO.......yep it's hilarious:D, or you get a "yapper" that runs a mile behind frustrated to hell that it simply cannot catch said speedy dogs and does not understand why:D:D

When I take other owners out with my lot they stand opened mouthed at my "lightening whippet" running by like a blur and I often get "wow, we thought ours was fast" :eek::D theirs being a shepherd or a weimeraner or dalmation:D

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I have a springer/collie and a springer and they don't go on leads, they will walk passed other dogs unless they are given the ok to go and see them, they walk with the springer along side me and the cross just behind me. I can walk them on the road like this and they are very well behaved. If they do go on leads the springer is useless! She pulls and I have tried everything to stop this. The springer/collie is fine on a lead just doesn't need to be on one.:)

lexiedhb

Visit site
LMFAO.......yep it's hilarious:D, or you get a "yapper" that runs a mile behind frustrated to hell that it simply cannot catch said speedy dogs and does not understand why:D:D

When I take other owners out with my lot they stand opened mouthed at my "lightening whippet" running by like a blur and I often get "wow, we thought ours was fast" :eek::D theirs being a shepherd or a weimeraner or dalmation:D

LOL thats Dexie- he'd "try" and keep up till he keeled over!!

Lucyad

Visit site
My GSD doesn't seem to have a prey drive.....I suppose they are bred to look after things rather than chase them (she was guarding the chickens yesterday which was rather sweet!). She is rarely on a lead, and will 'heel' as required when passing other digs, for example. Though I am always happy to let her play with other dogs we pass if their owners are also happy to leave theirs off lead - I would ask before letting her though.