Do people over supplement

Horse2018

Visit site
I was watching what I feed my horse videos on YouTube and notice that a lot of people use 5-10 difference types of supplements. It got me thinking do people over supplement now days what’s your opinions on supplements.

holeymoley

Visit site
5-10 😱. That’s the problem people don’t understand what they’re feeding their horses and what exactly is in each feed/supplement and to do what. I can’t imagine why anyone would feed that amount! Better planting their money on the dung heap...

ETA - edited to say I’m not saying the supplements aren’t any good, more so they’re likely to be feeding the exact same thing within each supplement

Mule

Visit site
I'm sure it can be a problem. If a person is feeding multiple supplements and some have the duplicate ingredients in them, then the horse could get too much for their systems to handle. An excess of fat soluble types of vitamins and minerals can lead to serious health problems.

When my horse first started headshaking, one of the vet's first questions was whether I feeding him any supplements or balancers.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Depends on what they are. If they are pre-formulated supplements that each contain multiple ingredients then I would worry about duplicating and possibly overdosing on ingredients. If they are blending their own out of straight ingredients, then they may well be feeding fewer elements than if they were buying a balancer off the peg.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
I think the tack shop now looks like Boots.

I do feel we overdo lots of things to the horse, not for the horse.
If your horse has a medical issue and the vet suggests something then fair enough.
Or if they have an issue and the vet says to manage it then ok. But not 5 to 10.

I feed Devils Claw for part of the year. It helps. Vet told me to manage the problem.
I feed magnesium for the same reason.
I did a three month trial to see if there were any noticeable improvements, had there not been she wouldn't be fed it.