Do people really collect that much saddle pads

TPO

Visit site
Why is this particular blogger so popular? How did she get her foot on the rung so to speak?

I can see how riders competing successfully pick up followers and sponsors but not how "average" people do?

Although I'm guessing she has horsey parents or money from elsewhere to keep multiple ponies (prior to ad money)? I wonder what made her resonate with her market over other vloggers.

I guess the biggest market is average joe bloggs so having "one of us" market to the masses makes sense on one hand.

Maybe just me but seeing someone who could be on livery next to me posing "for the 'gram" in their gifted outfits/rugs/feed doesnt make me want to buy it. I guess I dont understand this need that a growing number of people seem to have to be famous/known and platforms like instagram have made that possible despite having no real talents as such.

It's like everyone has forgotten that invisibility is a super power!

Pippity

Visit site
I splashed out on some matchy-matchy saddlepads (well, the Shires/Rhinegold versions...) and my horse promptly lost enough topline she needed a sheepskin saddlepad.

I REALLY splashed out on two nice sheepskin saddlepads in lovely colours and my horse promptly put on a bit of topline but, of course, not enough for the original saddlepads.

Now, the only one she'll accept is the mid-thickness hi-viz one that's too short for the saddleflaps and has such badly positioned girthstraps that it's completely unsecured beneath the saddle. And I don't even get any benefit from the hi-viz because it gets completely covered up by the exercise sheet.

I've given up on matchy-matchy.

smolmaus

Visit site
Why is this particular blogger so popular? How did she get her foot on the rung so to speak?
She's personable, speaks well to the camera but isn't so polished she comes across as unapproachable, young, pretty, enviable lifestyle (parents subsidise the ponies) but again, not so OTT that it alienates people. She's just fitted very nicely into a niche (Equine Lifestyle?) and had the gumption to market herself successfully.

I like her. I'm about 15 years too old to be her target market but I still have her on my subscribed channels, her stuff is light-hearted and sweet.

The saddle pad thing isn't for me but a LOT of people seem to collect them. LeMieux play into it with the discontinued colours and limited editions etc etc. I've collected weirder, less useful things in my time (pokemon cards probably top of that list but I'll be damned if I get rid!).

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'd have that many saddle pads if I could, except they would be Schoekhmole! Unfortunately I am not famous and they cost £££ and according to OH I "i don't need" another saddle pad. I have about 6... that isn't enough!

I must be old as I don't get the influencer thing, same with any YouTube video, I also don't get the whole trend for watching YouTube videos of randoms.... however OH was watching one and the guy was driving around in a rather nice sports car by his rather nice house..
If they're really good they earn £££'s more than I ever would maybe im doing something wrong! Same for the Love island people they end up earning loads after the show.
Its sad when you read articles about what kids want to do in the future and most say they want to be a YouTube star

I'm tempted to set up an Instagram for the cats but obviously it would need to be public and that pains me!

Last edited:

smolmaus

Visit site
Its sad when you read articles about what kids want to do in the future and most say they want to be a YouTube star

The allure of being famous and rich and having people love you, just for being yourself? Tempting, no?

If you really want to be YouTube famous your best bet is being a cat. Or a cockatoo, but that's more work since the very famous bird-channels all have to learn to talk first.

Uliy

Visit site
I really enjoy watching several “influencers” in the evening - I return to about 5 but watch a few others occasionally, too. It’s just a nice thing to watch in the evening, some are really informative, and it satisfies my nosiness too! I’d probably skip a video like the above, but I know This Esme has done a few great videos going around yards of people like William Fox Pitt, etc ?

scats

Visit site
I think this young lady is one of the better ones. I’m not into the influencer thing, I find it really strange, but I think this girl is a positive role model for equestrian teens.
No doubt she comes from some money due to having her own yard and nice horses and facilities, but she is more relatable for most young people than some other influencers, who try their best to tell everyone that we’re all the same, but in reality they come from privilege that the rest of us can only dream of.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Well, I'm showing my OH this video (and might leave out the minor details of sponsorship) as he thinks my collection of 6 or 7 saddle pads is far too many :D

If I could comfortably afford to, I would totally buy more expensive matchy matchy pads - and expensive clothes to match. Alas, as it is although all my pads do sort of match as they are all blue or navy and they are a mix of Derby House/Robinsons own brand and other cheap brands (although I do own one Le Mieux pad).

I''m a bit too old for the Insta/YouTube influencers but I've seen a few videos and Esme seems pretty sensible (as well as geniunely care for and want to put horse's first) and I can see how she would have been interesting to me if this sort of thing had been around when I was a pony mad teenager. I do follow two endurance riders on Instagram as it's what I have most interest in but otherwise it mostlt passes me by, other than the odd nosey when bored. I'd hate to do it myself but fair play to those that choose to do it and make a success out of it.

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
I can’t cope with the way the name of the blog/vlog is written so haven’t watched any of these although know she’s very popular and well done for doing it. In my logical mind the name doesn’t make sense and I like sensible names for shops, companies and horses. I think it’s my age! I’m definitely not the target market. I have quite a few saddle pads but a lot of those are ones my horses have won. I have one Lemieux in burnt orange

Cob Life

Visit site
Esme’s target audience is tweens/teens and I think she hits that bracket very well.
She’s done a lot of informative videos with big Equestrian names, I think she even did a lunging one with BHS?

Being an influencer is a lot harder than a lot of people think. I’ve had to edit a few videos for work, a 10 minute video could take me 2 hours to do basic editing, plus at least an hours filming time. We spent 6 hours filming one day. It then took me 10 hours minimum to edit that into 2 15 minute videos. (I’m not a good editor by any standard) Even just an instagram post, as to post proper content daily (and not just a phot) takes time to think out your photos, what you want to say, who you need to tag etc.

Northern

Visit site
Haven't watched the video, not interested. However I do have about, err, 15 LM saddle pads (collected over years, usually on sale). Don't do bandages or bonnets though. My LM include lots of seemingly "rare" colours, apparently Australians are falling over their feet to pay a surprising amount of money for them. So they live in my cupboard in pristine condition until such time as they will fund my next horse or saddle :p

But actually, I have found the LM (and now the one Mattes as well) the best quality of what's available over here, plus they wash up ridiculously well, so I do use them daily.

FantaPlease

Visit site
I think i am 20 years above her target audience but i find her watchable.
She has a chirpy voice and is always smiling and has camera charisma, lots of colourful matchy matchy, a beautiful yard, 3 lovely horses, 3 lovely donkeys and she is quite obviously veryyyy well paid.
She is basically everything i am not ?
Love or hate these young social media influences, they are making a name and money for themselves instead of lolling around doing nothing... fairest of play to them.
Much prefer Esme to Erin Williams or Lilpetchannel ... ( I have too much time on my hands. Cheers covid) ?‍♀️
Saddlepads? Nah i have 3 and non are designer or matchy.

Pippity

Visit site
Being an influencer is a lot harder than a lot of people think. I’ve had to edit a few videos for work, a 10 minute video could take me 2 hours to do basic editing, plus at least an hours filming time. We spent 6 hours filming one day. It then took me 10 hours minimum to edit that into 2 15 minute videos. (I’m not a good editor by any standard) Even just an instagram post, as to post proper content daily (and not just a phot) takes time to think out your photos, what you want to say, who you need to tag etc.

A (non-horsey) YouTuber I watch has started posting updates on how she produces her videos and it is startling how much effort it takes. For a 20-30-minute video, there's days of preparation and planning, followed by days of editing, voice-over, pick-up shots, etc. It's not an easy job, and there are very few people who actually make a living at it. You're essentially making a TV programme at least once a week, but doing it on your own. (Yes, some YouTubers will outsource editing, etc., but a lot do it as a one/two-person effort.)

There's a kid on my yard who shares a veteran pony, and she gets most of her instruction from watching YouTube videos. She's definitely choosing the right people to watch because she's a lovely little rider who's really progressed well over the past few years - despite a pony old enough to know all the tricks and use them!

shamrock2021

Visit site
I forgot to mention that I have 3 of there saddle pads . I only really use one because I have bought them in the cc shap I have a gp saddle they look very small even though I buy large/extra large .

Annagain

Visit site
Influencers just make me feel old.

I have matchy saddlepads - they're so matchy they match each other, my saddle, the girth and the bridle - all a lovely shade of plain brown with no embellishment at all....except for the one white dressage one which matches the horse.

Bernster

Visit site
Yes, they do. Me included. I like a spot of matchy boots and pads, and have acquired a *few* cough cough over the years. Although I actually tend to use the same ones over and over ?

holeymoley

Visit site
I have 3 Le Mieux pads. They're actually really good in terms of wicking away sweat and they wash up really nicely. However I only have 1 horse so I have no desire to have or need any more!

ETA I have 2 LeMieux sheepskin half pads too though I don't count them as they're boringly black :p

hollyandivy123

Visit site
I have a friend who should be sponsored by lemieux but isn't. She has a hideous amount of matchy stuff. She scoffs at my hand me down saddle pads and unmatchy bonnets. I come from a native showing back ground so my tack is always clean and matching brown leather. I have a nice pair of riding boots and a nice hat but everything else is just for home/schooling/hacking so really doesn't matter what colour it is. And its all covered up by a hi viz rug anyway when we're out.

The non essential expensive stuff is lost on me and I don't get the influencer thing at all.
a lass at my yard brought down the wrong coloured saddle pad to go with her bandages and decided not to ride that day................i am very much well fitting tack and its clean then its good to go, have always said that if anyone finds me matchy matchy or bling then it is probably time to sit me down as it is a cry for help!

Annagain

Visit site
a lass at my yard brought down the wrong coloured saddle pad to go with her bandages and decided not to ride that day................i am very much well fitting tack and its clean then its good to go, have always said that if anyone finds me matchy matchy or bling then it is probably time to sit me down as it is a cry for help!

I've told this story before but I organised a clinic with a visiting instructor. Lessons were in groups of two and one girl messaged me to ask for the contact details of the person she was sharing a lesson with so she could arrange to match outfits with her. She got quite stroppy when I told her I couldn't give out contact details and was genuinely upset at the thought of clashing.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Influencers just make me feel old.

I have matchy saddlepads - they're so matchy they match each other, my saddle, the girth and the bridle - all a lovely shade of plain brown with no embellishment at all....except for the one white dressage one which matches the horse.

Then you are going to just LOVE my latest You Tube video ' EIGHT BROWN NUMNAHS AND A DRESSAGE PAD ' .
Please also take a look at my other recent postings - I think you might particularly enjoy ' PICK OF THE DAY ' - a light hearted yet informative journey through my extensive hoof pick collection ( including a rare folding ' Pocket Pick ' circa 1983 ).
' SCOOP SCOOP HOORAY ' explores the fascinating assortment of different coloured feed scoops in my feed room and discusses , in depth , the REAL reason why they come in different sizes (I cover serious issues too ).
And finally ' WEARS THE SOAP ' - an hysterical look behind the scenes in my tackroom , at the myriad lumps of saddle soap that get left in the bottom of the tack cleaning bucket when the bar finally breaks up , and suggestions on what to do with them . If YOU have any suggestions as to what I should do with them then do please share your thoughts .
You can find me on JUST GIMMESTUFF .
( Feed back appreciated )

tda

Visit site
There are two young ladies from a nearby village that have sponsors and promote their sponsers stuff, mainly clothing, but also saddles from one of them . Both are competing eventing at a good level, one of them internationally

However, as much as I 'like' their posts and support them, there is nothing that I would buy for myself, but I'm only a happy hacker so obviously not their target audience ?
I'm also old ??

Visit site
It’s this esme

she’s one of the things that got me into riding.

no. Esme LOVES saddle pads! A lot of people do like saddle pads. It’s just the expensive too. Horses are expensive I know that! (I have a friesian)

so yeah

sherry90

Visit site
It’s marketing pure and simple. Just another way to target consumers/potential customers and it works. It’s cheaper than an ad campaign as they’ll pay her pittance compared to magazine spreads etc and magazine sales have dropped, people use social media more than anything these days!
So why wouldn’t a brand do this and why wouldn’t she/influencers tap into this when they can use their following to an advantage.

Having said all that, it does grate on me. Influencers get a bit ‘Beggy Mitchell’ (Eastenders gaff for those who know!) and often I’ll hear ‘oh guys I’m looking for XYZ any recommendations’ and it’s a clear plug for a brand to gift them something, they aren’t looking for recommendations to buy anything they are asking for brands to contact them in a deceitful way. I’ve seen it, mark my words, a quite well known equine influencer will absolutely be having a collab with a trailer company in the near future and I will eat my Charles Owen if they don’t!
It might be just the ones I follow but I also find them a bit samey as they all have the same items gifted, same collabs, same products to review that it just becomes a bit repetitive. I find the vlogs that are more about their day/events and things much more appealing than a simple 30min advert ? each to their own I suppose, I just don’t watch the ones that don’t appeal. As I say, clearly works as a marketing strategy and so long as it continues then we will be seeing it for a while.
I DO like those that show the support of small businesses though especially this year!

Durhamchance

Visit site
I watch her on occasion, I think she's a lovely person who treats her horse well. My five year old likes to watch her too and I know that she will only be picking up on good things. Esme never swears!

I have to say that we have an awful lot of saddle pads between our boys. My share pony has at least 20 pads last time I tidied the cupboard, his mum has since bought another two and I have one coming for Christmas. The trouble is that he's dapple grey and suits almost everything. Then we have the boots to match as we have OCD :) I like nothing better than choosing my wardrobe to match his even if we're just schooling alone. It's a sickness and I love it!