Do people still leave dogs tied up outside shops?

LaurenBay

Visit site
I have never done this, with Ralph or any Dog I've looked after. Don't get me wrong there are times when I walk past the shops and think I need to get X,Y,Z but I can't bring myself to tie him up and leave him outside. Firstly because I like him in my eye sight, secondly there is nothing to stop people taking him (the traitor would go with them too)

At least once every day I see Dog's tied up though.

Just the other day a lady had her small Dog stolen.

Does anyone still do this? I live in a very built up town so perhaps I'd feel different in a quieter village.

meleeka

Visit site
No I would never and I live in a village. I rarely leave my dog in the car for a few minutes either and if I need to I’m careful where I park. I think Facebook has done a lot to make people think. My MIL didn’t realise until I told her that dogs get stolen 🙄

Tinkerbee

Visit site
No, it stresses me out when I see dogs outside shops, I couldn't bear it if something happened! Ted is pretty cute and he'd 1000% trot off with anyone so there'd be no hope!
The only place I do leave him is a teeny cafe in the (quiet) village, where I can see (and hear :rolleyes:) him the whole time I'm inside ordering. Luckily our local bakery/deli allows dogs in so I can pop in for a loaf and not have to leave him. Definitely wouldn't leave him outside in a bigger village/town.

HeyMich

Visit site
Yes, all the time. People in the place where we live all know the dog though, so I really don't worry about her being stolen. I do worry about her being fed rubbish by passers-by though, but I guess that's a positive in the dog's eyes!

I guess it depends on you and on the dog. Don't do it if you don't feel it's right.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I used to do it with my old girl when I was a kid to get sweets but people were then scared to come into the shop :eek:
There was an alcove at the back of the library, I put her lead around a brick on top of a big bag of sand. In my defence I was young and she was old and fat and wasn't going to go anywhere/with anyone.

I have been known to shout my order through the door of Dominos and leave the dog in a downstay while I dash in and bop my card on the reader lol. It's a very small branch with a big window. And good luck to anyone who wanted to take him.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
no, never. One horror story happened to my friend-her MiL left their collie tied up outside the corner shop when she was dogsitting for them. A toddler ran up to him and got a nip (parent was there) and the dog was taken away by the police. The police wouldnt tell my friend where the dog was until the investigation was carried out and said the dog would likely be PTS for attacking a child. For three frantic weeks they didnt know where to dog was let alone allowed to visit him, parent of child was threatening to sue etc etc . She eventually got her local councillor involved and got her dog back but they were sure they would lose him for a while.

HEM

Visit site
I used to when I was a child with my little JR that would nip at anyone that came to close (Pretty safe to say no one would have stolen him!) but wouldn't dream of it now! Even though I live in a tiny village and know almost everyone! I agree I think FB and SM in general highlights all local crime and definitely makes you more wary!

Plus there are a lot of dog friendly shops/pub/cafes near me.

catkin

Visit site
Depends where it is.

Outside village shop, yes - they have places to tie dogs and even put out a water bowl in the summer. Heck, I've tied up a pony outside the shop too! Lots of people do so it seems to just be accepted
Our local town, sometimes depending upon the shop. (though there's quite a few dog-friendly shops there as well). I always say to the staff that my dog's outside so they know. .Again there's usually quite a lot of dogs about.

A place I didn't know, probably not.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
There are often one or two dogs tethered outside the village shop here. Most are regulars but sometimes folk out walking the canal stop by for drinks ect. I have been known to walk up into the village with the dog for the newspaper and tie up while I collect it.

Lintel

Visit site
I do- we live in a little village and I take my boy out with me to the butchers (his personal favourite) the bakers and the co-op. He is only out there for 5 minutes maximum, and I can see him when I'm in the shops. I'd be impressed if anyone stole him he has turned into a chunk of a GSD and is becoming very loyal.

pippixox

Visit site
I have very briefly when running in to get milk with my old boy. But even that made me so anxious! So not done in years. Numerous shops seem to have tie up points like co-ops near me and even in central Winchester where my friend lives.

As with the collie nipping story- you are not in control of your dog when not with them, so accidents could happen. Mine would be more likely to try and steal your shopping! As well as the theft risk.

I have left them in the boot to pop in to shop or when I drop son at preschool before doing horses. But park with boot up against a wall. So would have to climb into passenger seat, undo boot guard and attempt to get them over the seats to steal them....

windand rain

Visit site
How times change my uncle had a wonderfully trained collie He went to get a neewspaper and left the dog untied sitting at the door. He left by a different door the dog was still sitting by the original door some hour later when uncle remembered he had taken him with him

deb_l222

Visit site
I see plenty of dogs tied up waiting outside my village shop and I've done this in the past but I wouldn't now. It's not so much the thought of getting them stolen round here, I'm more worried about strange dogs and humans coming up to them and what their reaction might be if I'm not there.

I've seen a few tied up outside big supermarkets and this is bonkers in this day and age. Although the one I spotted last Saturday outside Tesco in Penistone was barking that much it's owner may have been hoping someone would pinch it!!

I leave them in the car all the time to go shopping however. Last night we had been for a walk, I needed milk and a few bits, so rather than going straight back in the house, we all got in the car and went for a trip to Morrisons!!

Other supermarkets are available it just so happens my nearest two are Tesco and Morrisons :p

Teajack

Visit site
I used to leave my dog outside shops, he was big and would not have allowed himself to be stolen.
Stopped after finding some schoolkids round him who thought he was being starved as he had already eaten 3 Twixes ....
Wouldn't do it these days though.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have occasionally tied my dogs up near the village shop. I've also asked someone to hold my horse while I bought drinks in the pub. It's a nice community here.

{138171}

Visit site
I have never done this, with Ralph or any Dog I've looked after. Don't get me wrong there are times when I walk past the shops and think I need to get X,Y,Z but I can't bring myself to tie him up and leave him outside. Firstly because I like him in my eye sight, secondly there is nothing to stop people taking him (the traitor would go with them too)

At least once every day I see Dog's tied up though.

Just the other day a lady had her small Dog stolen.

Does anyone still do this? I live in a very built up town so perhaps I'd feel different in a quieter village.

The lady's dog wasn't tied up, she had him stolen out of her hands

Clodagh

Visit site
It is quite common at work, but definitely much less than it used to be. I used to leave my two outside in Australia, but never tied up, just sit and stay. At least then if they got persecuted they could move away (or come and find me!). I don't like leaving them in the car now even, but always back in if I can.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would never do it and I hate seeing dogs tied up outside a shop, I saw a real life tv show where a man left his dog tied up outside a shop, and someone untied his dog to steel the lead and the dog got run over and the dog died in the man's arms, it was awful the man was in bits over it.