Do people still use a twitch?

Abacus

Visit site
I use a home made one for clipping (don't really need it any more but have it in reserve) and mane pulling. My vet used one to clip my boys hocks for injecting, he certainly didn't need it (that horse loves being clipped, weirdo) but the vet seemed to prefer it. He used a humane one which I don't think made a difference to the horse but maybe it made the vet feel better... So they do use them. He's an old-fashioned type vet though.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I have no issue with using a twitch, I have never owned one but my late mare Seren went through a stage of being a pain with her feet when she was quite a bit younger so the farrier used to twitch her. I would prefer a twitch over a sedative as some others have also said, I would buy one if I felt I needed it, or make one

kobi

Visit site
Another one who uses for clipping. Mines perfect except for very ticklish round his mouth. No point getting the vet out to sedate for what must be 20 square cm.

mynutmeg

Visit site
I don't have one but my vet has used one on several occasions - when my mare choked we tried tubing her with a twitch rather than sedating because the vet was concerned about the amount of liquid in her lungs (we did end up having to sedate in the end as the twitch wasn't enough after a bit and it was getting dangerous)

kassieg

Visit site
I dont particularly like them
My mare is an angel for everything except pulling her mane, she is horrible she barges me off walls & tbh I dont very much like it !

Last time I had to twich & my yard owner had her on controller headcoller & she still tried to ram us both in to walls !

Marydoll

Visit site
I have my twitch that is used if needed, i prefer to sedate with domosedan of its a clip on something that faffs around as imo the twitch should be on and off again in 5-6 minutes.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Agree, the twitch should be on for no longer than 5 minutes - and ONLY used by someone who knows how to do it. I use an old twine twitch - the humane twitches are useless, and always come off.

BarmyC

Visit site
I use a twitch to finish clipping my bosses horses face and tickly bits it's much safer than heads and feet flying about.

I have one with a metal link chain on as suggested by my vet who also has one which he uses if a situat warrants some calm butnot nnecessarily sedation.

He said that he prefers the gain one as it only provides pressure points and doesn't constrict the whole nose. They also come off much quicker without the risk of the wooden handle flying around when you can't unravel it quick enough.

Tobiano

Visit site
I am such a clumsy klutz I would not dare use a twitch. Dont like the idea of them because of that - though I accept that in the RIGHT hands they are probably great.

Casey76

Visit site
My youngster was twitched by the vet last year when he had a nasal cyst lanced. Never again. The twitch caused more problems than it solved, and I don't think the endorphins ever kicked in :(

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
Used gently, you can moniter the horse's response by watching (and touching) a horse's eye very gently again. A twitch is not a weapon, it is an aid, which sends relaxing hormones through the body.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have a home made one some where, the vet used his own, along with IV sedation on the three year old Appy when she had damaged her foot (standing on a discarded drinks can grrr). A very useful tool IMO

hoggedmane

Visit site
Yes briefly to clip tickly bits on my mare round her back legs and tummy. She sweats when sedated which makes clipping harder and is getting older so would rather not do that.

Vikki1990

New User
Visit site
My vet always tries to twitch my horse if needed, he is pretty apt at not letting them get anywhere near his nose but i would prefer it to sedation. I think it is useful for short periods of time.

rascal

Visit site
Never used one, I prefer to teach the horses to stand still for clipping, vet, farrier etc.
My mother in laws horses on the other hand, have never been taught basic good manners and think they walk all over anyone. Total pains the pair of them!

NZJenny

Visit site
Never used one, I prefer to teach our horses to stand still for clipping, vet, farrier etc.

x2.

They used to be a common piece of kit here, but over the last 20 years or so, with the increasing popularity and awareness of modern training methods, you rarely see them now.

Sorry, but I find twitching for things like clipping ears abhorrent. No horse needs to have it's ears clipped.

My gelding needs sedation to have his teeth floated, apart from that, it's training and a whole lot of patience.

dominobrown

Visit site
Its not just about manners and training you know. :rolleyes:
Last time I twitched a horse it was a 17.2hh with a foot abscess which I was trying to sort and poultice. Horse obviously was in pain and didn't want to co-operate!

Kat

Visit site
My farrier has a home made one that is a spanner so you can hook the end onto a headcollar and be hands free. He tried it once when my mare was being difficult but it didn't work and just made her plunge about.

She now stands like a lamb for him.

I don't use one to clip, I just leave her head and ears.

paulineh

Visit site
Twitching a horse can be quick and useful for many situations. I will use one for a short time to clip the head or treat a wound. I would prefer to do that than to sedate. I have used both the human and the old fashion one.

weebarney

Visit site
x2.

Sorry, but I find twitching for things like clipping ears abhorrent. No horse needs to have it's ears clipped.

My gelding needs sedation to have his teeth floated, apart from that, it's training and a whole lot of patience.
I have to say there is no way I would twitch a horse in the name of vanity.