Do stable coughs cure themselves

canteron

Visit site
My horse has developed a cough, probably from dusty hay. So she now lives out, haylage, etc and the vet is coming tomorrow.

But a question, assuming it is nothing more sinister will it cure itself over time, as it would with us?

She is a bit vet phobic and I would prefer to avoid scoping if possible and can afford to give her a month off.

Experiences please!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
She might need ventolin or steriods depending on how chesty she is. One of mine took a good 6 weeks to completely recover this summer.

Merlod

Visit site
My boy had a little cough when he was stabled overnight last year, went away as soon as I started wetting his hay.

skewbaldmillie

Visit site
We started soaking hay when in, she had 20ml of benylin (the human cough mixture) per day until she finished the bottle and then it went away. Quit easy yo give them as it tastes sweet and most horses like the taste.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
My Appy can cough if there is dust, but this summer got quite bad, when out 24/7.
The vet had been the week before for innoculations and MOT and had pronounced her lungs clear, so I was quite concerned when her breathing was "loud". I did a bit of my own reserch and discovered that Sorbitol can cause breathing problems, so stopped the sugar free mints I had been using as reward, she took a few days to stop coughing but the noisy breathing stopped within 24 hours, we also noticed that her nose had swollen slightly with the breathing issue and that also resolved with the tweak of diet. Might be worth a thought.