Do teenage Connies exist?!

tashcat

Visit site
Continuing with the horsey hunt, and my love for connemaras, I cannot find any in their teens! Do they even exist?!

Looking at connies aged from 8 (at the absolute minimum) up to any age! Looking for a horse happy to do a bit of low level everything, including jumping and some cross country, bit of dressage - but most importantly a friendly sort. Happy to have quirks such as spooky etc. Preferably in the 15h s.

Has anybody seen the so called mystical creature of the teenage connemara for sale?! Or following on from one of my last threads, any horse in their teens?!

tashcat

Visit site
I have 3 horses in their teens but no connies!
A friend has a Connemara mare who is in her late teens at least. She's as mad as a hatter!

I think that might be the problem - they don't act their age and they're so lovely that people keep hold of them!! All I ask for is one nice one to pop along for me to snap up!

CassTheCob

Visit site
My sisters Connemara is 18 but acts like a six year old! Have you considered looking at horses in Ireland? We've got bloody loads of them 😂

CassTheCob

Visit site

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Yes they do exist and do come up for sale but are as rare as hens teeth. You may have more success with a wanted ad on Horse Quest or on the BCPS sales pages. I sold mine in his early teens with BD points, a BS record and success in ridden showing as a PC schoolmaster and I could have sold him 10x over. He wasn't quirky at all, but was a proper schoolmaster in that the buttons had to be pressed very correctly and in the right order otherwise he didn't do it!

conniegirl

Visit site
Hens teeth springs to mind!
I think people hang on to connies as the dont act thier age and are so versatile!
My 20yrold was winning at county shows 3 days before he was found dead in his field

tashcat

Visit site
Hens teeth springs to mind!
I think people hang on to connies as the dont act thier age and are so versatile!
My 20yrold was winning at county shows 3 days before he was found dead in his field

Sounds just like my 25 year old I just lost - galloping around like a lunatic on his last ride; there were threats to put his stronger bit on for his next ride - he heard this and decided enough was enough, and he was ready to go!! Such a special chap, I would have never let him go so I can see why everyone are holding onto theirs!

tashcat

Visit site
Yes they do exist and do come up for sale but are as rare as hens teeth. You may have more success with a wanted ad on Horse Quest or on the BCPS sales pages. I sold mine in his early teens with BD points, a BS record and success in ridden showing as a PC schoolmaster and I could have sold him 10x over. He wasn't quirky at all, but was a proper schoolmaster in that the buttons had to be pressed very correctly and in the right order otherwise he didn't do it!

He sounds lovely and I know what you mean about 10x over! Will think about putting an ad out, thank you :)

tashcat

Visit site
I had a skip through DoneDeal just to see what's about! ��https://www.donedeal.ie/view/13830965
148 Connemara for sale
^this one is 14.2hh and 12y/o
https://www.donedeal.ie/view/13728035
Top Class Connemara Pony
^this one is also 14.2hh and 11y/o (not sure why the horse is in a lake in the Second photo but oh well ��)
https://www.donedeal.ie/view/13888498
148 Connemara Pony
^Another 14.2hh 11y/o

Not sure I've looked through DoneDone so thank you - 14.2' is probably right on the smaller end - I've got long legs and think I ideally need a slightly bigger one this time. Glad to hear there are some around though!!

chahala

Visit site
this made me smile!

I have just left my five year old connie in sandschool with my 75+ nervous older friend on board... the tree surgeons are chain sawing 10 metres away and he is working beautifully for her.

I spent ages looking for a teenager and ended up with him.

helenchat

Visit site
I think once people have them, they never let them go! Mine is 17, and I've had multiple instances now at shows where after our round or test people have come up and asked to buy him ! They're in high demand :)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I dont know if they went out of fashion for a few years! I've just lost my 31 yr old and now have a 6 yr old, but never used to see many when I first got my 31 yr old 16 years ago!

Summer pudding

Visit site
Could I ask why you want an older one? It's just that I bought mine as a 4yo and he has been absolutely foot perfect. Connies have lived before and read the text book.
I've got one (only 7 and a bit green and I'm an old novice) didn't get ridden last winter..first ride was as if he'd been ridden the day before. He is so kind and sensible. I should sell him but the thought of parting with him makes my blood run cold. GOOD LUCK with your search....don't be put off by a youngster.

tashcat

Visit site
Could I ask why you want an older one? It's just that I bought mine as a 4yo and he has been absolutely foot perfect. Connies have lived before and read the text book.

I would call myself a competent rider, I have a fair amount of confidence and have spent a lot of years with horses. However I am very honest with myself, and won't kid myself into thinking I can teach a 4 year old everything s/he needs to know! I think too many people buy youngsters these days and in reality not a lot of them can truly give these young horses the right start. Your 4 yo sounds lovely, and in knowledgable hands, but I am not certain I could bring that.

I'm not against the idea of a having a young one - hence why I would look to around 8, but I want to find something that has learnt a little bit of everything to a nice level before I snap them up and never let them go! I also just love teenage horses.. Theres also something I love about connies acting all wise and wanting to take charge, that became more obvious as my oldie got older!

Perhaps I need to push the boat out and consider it though, especially by the sounds of everyone on here hanging on tight to their connies :D ! I've seen some lovely youngsters out there, and 6 isn't the end of the world.

Also worth considering my mum also enjoys a good hack and I wouldn't want to get anything to knock her confidence (seeing as she had been helping me out over winter with my old boy!)

Pc2003

Visit site
My Connie was better behaved at 5/6 than he is now at 13!!!
He was very green, as all seem to be at that age but the basics were there from the start. As above you could pick him up and drop him as a baby with no issues and still no issues now.
Actually he probably didn't physically mature till 8 ish.
He has always been super intelligent and sharp but the basics were there from day one so don't be too put off by age.
Mine came from Ireland aged 5 and has always been a great hack alone/company since day 1. Seems to come naturally to them.
Brain needs to be engaged tho!!!

rachk89

Visit site
I know of one that I think is 10. He has done showjumping up to a metre (but can jump higher), cross country, dressage, showing everything really. Lovely horse very kind and well behaved. Only problem is he is up in the north of Scotland. And i dunno if he is still for sale. Can find his ad if you are interested.