Do terriers wear coats?

{97702}

Visit site
3 degrees and frosty here today so even I relented and put the hounds Blizzard coats on for their walk ? Which left George naked ? he is short coated of course, and he isn’t particularly fat any more even though he has got a massive depth of chest and spring of rib that makes him look like a little barrel ?

Should he have a coat too? He didn’t seem remotely bothered as he ploughed along through the mud, but he is 11 now.... do you put coats on your terriers when it is cold?

EventingMum

Visit site
One of mine has a fine coat and very sparse hair on his tummy and he happily wears a coat,, especially his Equifleece. The other has a short coarse coat and is very like George in shape with a very deep chest and round barrel, he hates coats and, for that matter, harnesses and won't walk with them on, although they don't obviously rub I think they perhaps catch behind his elbows.

Mosh

Visit site
Bruno has a coat but he really feels the cold. Only put it on when he is starting to shiver and it's only a little thin one but it's enough to make him happy and sit somewhere else that isn't curled around my neck
The greyhound was tougher than him!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't put a coat on for walks but when I am doing the horses outside I put her quilted coat on as she is just sitting around, if I don't put one on she cries to go in after 10 minutes on cold days.

{97702}

Visit site
Ah so it seems that they are clear if they feel they need a coat, that’s good ? George definitely didn’t shiver or look remotely cold this morning, he was buzzing around like a Duracell terrier as usual.... I think I’ll play it by ear, and make sure he is warm and dry as soon as he gets home ?

Thanks all ?

ponyparty

Visit site
Frank wears a coat, but he has such a thin coat, he really feels the cold and detests rain.
I'd say George would be fine without one (unless hammering it down with rain maybe?), but you hit the nail on the head - a terrier will tell you directly if they feel they need a coat! Or anything else for that matter!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
Ours is a border terrier with a waterproof double coat. He's 11, healthy and very fit. He's never needed a coat. He enjoys a swim in icy water or lies down in frozen flooded fields, so there's no need for him to wear a coat. When he gets old and slows down a bit, if he seems hesitant to venture out in minus temperatures or his condition looks poor, we'd try him with one of the coats we have from a previous oldie.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Our terriers don't wear coats. They try to remove them and kill them.

They do like to cuddle up to a hot water bottle in a towel in the car when it's cold though

MyBoyChe

Visit site
My jrt does, as does my elderly arthritic springer. The terrierist because although he is rough coated he has no real tummy hair and his coat is actually quite fine, the springer because she just cant whizz about any more and I dont want her to get cold and achey :( They both love their little jackets and happily stand to have them popped on

deb_l222

Visit site
Well, I put my Springers in coats and that would be sacrilege in some circles :oops:

All mine HATE the rain, so that's the first reason but I also do it for selfish reasons. It's far easier to clean up just wet legs, rather than full body, when we get back from a walk.

I don't necessarily put their coats on when it's just dry and cold because their coats are waterproof rather than warm proof, if you know what I mean.

If George will wear a coat, why not :)

paisley

Visit site
3 degrees and frosty here today so even I relented and put the hounds Blizzard coats on for their walk ? Which left George naked ? he is short coated of course, and he isn’t particularly fat any more even though he has got a massive depth of chest and spring of rib that makes him look like a little barrel ?

Should he have a coat too? He didn’t seem remotely bothered as he ploughed along through the mud, but he is 11 now.... do you put coats on your terriers when it is cold?

As long as you make the skinny ones wear these
Antlers.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
Well, I put my Springers in coats and that would be sacrilege in some circles :oops:

All mine HATE the rain, so that's the first reason but I also do it for selfish reasons. It's far easier to clean up just wet legs, rather than full body, when we get back from a walk.

I don't necessarily put their coats on when it's just dry and cold because their coats are waterproof rather than warm proof, if you know what I mean.

If George will wear a coat, why not :)

Ive just bought my cocker a neoprene coat for beating. I rather selfishly clip her because she is small and hairy and an indoor dog who plasters wet mud over everything! But the poor creature gets quite cold on a shoot!

meleeka

Visit site
Ever my lurchers only wear a coat if they are on lead or hanging about whilst I am working.
I used to have a terrier that wore a coat in the winter, only a very light one and it would be on all day as he was outside all day.
I put a coat on my JRT for the same reason, if she’s on a lead and waiting around. For a normal walk I wouldn’t as she’s far too busy to feel cold.

peanut

Visit site
We have a patterjack who is 12 and she gets really cold without her jumper on in the winter. She's flat coated and doesn't have the guard hairs to trap warmth.