Do these things happen to you?

Fools Motto

Visit site
Horsey or non horsey, take your pick!

You've lost something. I lost a special padded dressage girth.
You've searched for it everywhere you can think of. I turned the tack room inside out. Got fellow friend, who knew said girth to help.
Seached the wash rooms, searched the lorry. Nadda.
Several months have passed since said girth was used. Had kinda lost hope, told the boss that the girth had legs and walked, clearly it didn't like our home. Told the horse he would have to man up and cope with normal dressage girths! Not sure whether or not he appreciated the devastating news, or in fact he had anything to do with the disappearance and as it turned out the reappearance of it.
I found it. Well, my feet found it. I tripped over it, on the floor, in the middle of the tack room. Luckily I wasn't carrying a saddle. It is dirty, clearly been playing away all this time.
Boss just laughs, and claims this sort of phenomena happens to her too.

So, I ask you, do items you own, go on holiday and then suddenly throw themselves back at you, making you believe you are completely stupid, or blind?

And, before anyone says so, no other human has (should have had) anything to do with needing a dressage girth!

Now, can't find my binoculars...

FlyingCircus

Visit site
All the time.
I lost my purse probably a month ago now...so am expecting it to make a re-appearance any day now as I know it was only lost not stolen.

rowan666

Visit site
yep this happens to me all the time! its always bridles, lunge whips and riding hats but im a real hoarder and have 3 tack rooms and a rug room all bursting and im the most unorganised person on the planet so its not suprising tbh

Fransurrey

Visit site
At Olympic in 2013 I bought a sealskinz hat. Served me well in heavy rain all winter. I know I used it in Spring, then it went awol. Have searched car, tack room, feed room, conservatory, shed...
Still not found it. In the end my friend bought me a new one in Feb. Quite frankly I'm suspicious that this too will go awol and elope with the first!!

Tess Love

Visit site
Yes gloves I seem to loose gloves. Had to replacement my favourite SSG ones to stop me constantly looking and now won't wear them in case I loose them!

littleshetland

Visit site
It's weird isn't it? I had 2 packets of fags in my bag - defiantly 2 - they are so expensive these days I know exactly how many I have. 1 pack disappeared...just disappeared. I up ended the bag and they definitely were not there. 2 weeks later they reappeared in my bag............these gremlins must smoke!

Ladyinred

Visit site
In our house it's the potato peeler. I can look and look, revisiting the same place several times and then it will suddenly appear.

The yard and horses are so far immune to peculiar goings on, but I am sure it's only a matter of time.

Jo1987

Visit site
Every year at this time I buy a new shedding blade, I must have about 15 of the things now, and every year they disappear without trace. I've yet to have one reappear, but they must be somewhere!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
This happens all the time, when I was at my old yard, I used to share a tackroom, so I'd blame the others for using my stuff or just simply taking it!

then about 2 yrs ago, I moved yards, I had a massive tackroom to myself, no one else on the yard, all me! no one else had a key to the tackroom and things have still gone walkies! how is this possible? I totally lost something and 2 yrs on, I still haven't found it! after a while I started feeling really guilty for thinking badly of my friends at the old yard :/

Tobiano

Visit site
Yep! I lost a new pair of reins for 2 months then found them hanging on the bridle rack in the tack room (where I had looked at least 12 times before).

My late Mum had the best one when she was about 87. She drove to the beach one day to walk the dog and 0n returning to the car, realised that she couldn't find her car keys and must have dropped them. She got help to get home etc, get the spare keys, etc etc. A week later she took the car and dog to the same spot. As she got out of the car and stepped on to the beach she looked down and there were her lost car keys lying amid the stones on the beach.

ajn1610

Visit site
Did this with V5 I needed to file mileage expenses before 10th April. Knew where it was as I'd come across it and put it in filing cabinet beginning of the year so I'd be able to lay hands on it when I needed it. Went through said filing cabinet not once, not twice but three times. Completely emptied it and went through each piece of paper. My friend did it to in case I was being blind. and no luck. I'm kicking myself thinking I've cheated myself out of 45p per mile on over 3,500 miles. Then on morning of the last day I could claim I decided to have one last look. There it was. I think the Borrowers feel guilty and put it back.

kassieg

Visit site
yes my tax disc on my car ages ago !! tax disc & holder fell off ! i assumed had fell out of the car when a passenger got out but just in case, I took my mats out of the car moved both front seats forward & back, looked down my dashboard, unfolded my back seats in case had gone down their, checked my bags I had in the car... nothing !

discounted it & went to halfords about 2 weeks later bought a new tax disc holder & went home to order a replacement disc, dropped my phone in passanger side footwell, picked it up & moved the mat & there was the old tax disc!!! there was no way I could have missed it before so god knows what happened !!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Put my schooling whip down by the tack room door last summer, forgot to out it in before I left that evening. Still hasn't shown up again. We reckon the dog had it but there is no evidence of the thing anywhere! It's bright red and stuck out like a sore thumb!!!

I always lose pens at work too. How can you sit in one place, not move, and the pen you were using just disappear?!

skint1

Visit site
Yes!! I feel that somewhere just out of my sight is a box full of all the stuff I am missing!!

SuperH

Visit site
I went to get my summer gloves out yesterday. I knew when I had put them at the end of last summer so I went to the tack box and there was the little packet with them in. Got them out, only one. Where has the other one gone? Looked all over the tack room and laundry and no joy. I'm sure I wouldn't have put away only one but equally I must have done as how could they have got out of the packet, out of the tack box and vanished? Strange.

Visit site
The answer to this is you go out and buy a replacement for the lost item, then you find it. I have two fence testing kits now,
two sets of fingerless neoprene gloves, two hat silks the same colour.

Lintel

Visit site
Every year at this time I buy a new shedding blade, I must have about 15 of the things now, and every year they disappear without trace. I've yet to have one reappear, but they must be somewhere!

Oh my goodness I have the exact same problem! Have just ordered one this afternoon infant!

Ladyinred

Visit site
My daughter phoned me utterly distraught from her workplace, to tell me she has lost the necklace I gave her for her 21st. I gather it had been missing a couple of days. I drove over to give her a hug, parked in the shingle carpark, got out of my car and there it was! Shining brightly amongst the stones!

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
I lost my purse a while ago. I emptied my bag, where I was sure I'd put it, turned it upside down with all the pockets open and shook it. Tore apart my own house, my boyfriend's house, and the house of a friend who I'd stopped to see on the way home, rang the tack shop and the feed shop to get them to look... put my hand in the front pocket of my bag.... I was not popular!

Then there was the time I spent an hour on my hands and knees in the mud in a pitch black field searching for the phone I was convinced I'd dropped. I was certain I'd had it in my pocket when I set off. On approximately the 50th time Id got my friend to ring it, my boyfriend's mother answered and said she'd been plagued by the phone ringing in their house for the past hour, and that I was late for tea. Unpopular once again!

Still stumped by the loss of three separate hoofpicks which are yet to reappear, despite never, to my knowledge, leaving my coat pocket

debsflo

Visit site
i lost my car in Waitrose car park, ran in and called the police who asked me to go back and check and embarrasingly i had forgot where id parked so felt a right idiot.

happyclappy

Visit site
Always happening.

I avoid the big mistake of saying "I have looked everywhere" Obviously not, if I had looked everywhere I would have found it!

Fools Motto

Visit site
Like all the replies.
I always say 'looked everywhere'. Often I do, I really do.
How the girth appeared on the floor in the middle of the tack room I have no idea. I had left it for about 5 mins while putting some washing on.
There sure are gremlins and fairies out there...

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
I some how managed to lose my purse on a 1 minute walk from the campus shop to my uni flat. Walked back over and over again just a few minutes later when I got back and realised I didn't have it and never found it :-(

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
For me it was always sellotape when wrapping Christmas presents. You're sat on the floor, surrounded by presents, wrap, sello, scissors, pen and labels all to hand... Yet the sellotape always goes missing. And then it's back again when I come back into the room.

Still, I have a much better story from what was then a good friend. He lived alone in an 19thC cottage, which was known to be haunted. Think footsteps upstairs when you were downstairs alone, the front door slamming in your face and refusing to open unless you introduced the strange person who we're inviting into the house (front door opened of its own accord for me, very polite). This cottage was a typical bachelor pad, the sitting room contained a sofa, a TV and a stack of wood for the woodburner. The owner decided it could do with freshening up, he bought two tubes of Shake n Vac and put them on the woodpile whilst he went further into the house to stick the kettle on. Comes back into the sitting room, the Shake n Vac has gone. He is livid. He throws his toys out of the pram, shouting that they all have to live there together and he's just trying to make it a bit nicer etc etc 'and I am leaving the room and when I come back in five minutes I expect to see this Shake n Vac where I left them!'

Five minutes later he comes back into the room. 'They' have returned ONE shake n Vac...

MagicMelon

Visit site
Still waiting to find one of my horses passports... couldn't find it for her vaccination record to be updated by vet, last saw it a year ago for last vaccs! I'm hoping if I stop looking it'll turn up,it has to as its in the house somewhere! Hope so or its £77 for a replacement!!

Otherwise, I spend a lot of my life searching for scissors or pens. I also lost an entire set of house and office keys a couple of months ago somewhere in the depths of ths house, they'll turn up... I swear this house eats things.

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Lighters. They have legs. I must have bought hundreds of the little blighters but they always vanish just when you need a ciggie :(

Cowpony

Visit site
I had a very distinctive broom which disappeared. I couldn't find it anywhere, so I left it a couple of weeks, which is the usual timescale for things to reappear at our yard. Eventually I bought a new broom (and a padlock!) Months later some liveries left and my broom reappeared.....with the bristles all worn down on one side. No doubt they felt super honest for not taking it with them.