Do they really want to BUY the horse?

Dry Rot

Visit site
Well, we've had the "Do they really want to sell the horse?", so I thought I'd turn the tables and have a grumble from the seller's point of view!

Do some buyers imagine we are selling because we need the money and will sell regardless of the type of home on offer? Do they think we don't care about our livestock? Or that we will gladly take money from those who deceive themselves about their own capabilties? Would we sell to those who couldn't sit a lead rein pony, let alone the recently backed 3yo we have for sale!?

I've just realised that I have been breeding and selling pedigree livestock for over forty years and I think I've seen them all! First, pedigree working gundogs (sold to over 30 countries world-wide), then pedigree sheep (sold all over the north of the UK including most of the Scottish islands), and now Highland ponies. Obviously, I have occasionaly bought too.

First, like the majority of owners, I DO care about my livestock even though I am selling and I'd rather sell cheap than sell to a bad home for more money. A seller usually has very little to go on to assure him or herself that the buyer will provide that good home or has the necessary experience to manage what they want to buy. Obviously, we can learn a lot from body language and how the buyer reacts to an animal. Horsey people read really well. Experienced people are confident and don't react as if the horse will kill them, but exercise due caution in dealing with a large unpredictable animal they don't know. Just chatting on the phone will usually produce a lot of information.

But judging whether they will be suitable owners starts a lot earlier than that. Sometimes a personal check via Google or Facebook can be very revealing. Like the housewife who wanted to get back into riding but turned out to be a notorious dealer! The post code should bring up a satellite map of where they live. One prospective gundog buyer mentioned that he would be using the dog to shoot game on his farm. What? In the middle of Newcastle?:)

Of course, just talking to people and introducing some gentle questioning helps a lot. What are their interests? No point in trying to sell a plod to someone wanting a games pony. And it would be discourteous to entice someone to travel a long distance to view something that is patently unsuitable. But, again, we are up against the buyer who has an inflated idea of their abilities. Frankly, the advertiser who is looking for 'a 15HH alrounder' shouldn't be surprised if they get offered a lot of unsuitable animals. They will help themselves, and be left less confused, by being more specific in stating exactly what it is they are after. Sellers will offer plenty that don't even remotely fit the description!

Sellers who don't respond to messages leave a definite impression on a buyer and it is not a good one.

Will someone who is incapable to making an appointment, and keeping to it, really provide that good home? I must say I am always impressed when people arrive on time. I accept that someone travelling a long distance will probably be unable to state a precise time of arrival, but a rough idea helps when we work outside and have stock to feed and hay to make. Otherwise, does the seller stay by the house all day in hope? I did that last week -- and the buyer didn't turn up! People who are discourteous and unreliable with humans are hardly likely to be more attentive to their animals! Lame excuses that they 'couldn't get a signal' when they've just stated they were in a location bristling with public telephones just convinces that they haven't much regard for the truth either. Or the couple who arrived two hours late. That was forgivable -- but not when they did it a second time!

It is a funny thing, but it is a general characteristic that most people prefer to deal with people they like. Some buyers instantly put the seller's back up! Maybe the buyer has been lied to, cheated, or deceived and are expecting the same treatment again. That's a mistake. Most people are honest but we never forget that minority. So, dear buyer, just bear in mind that we judge you by our behaviour and if you treat us, the sellers, badly, we are likely to assume you will do the same to our horses. We may want to sell, we may even need to sell, but you are less likely to be sold the horse you want at the price you are prepared to pay if you do not have respect. The best business deal is the one that leaves both parties feeling that they have a bargain and the best business is from returning customers.

epeters91

Visit site
Completely agree with all you've said :)

I had one would be buyer try my horse and from the second she got on she complained about how different he was to her old horse, he had a bigger trot movement and held his head higher (horse was part freisian so I would think this would be expected) and after riding for 10 minutes on each rein with constant strings of complaints she jumped off and said, 'Yeah I'll have him'.... No no no no no I think not sorry.

In an ideal world as you said we are not looking to get rich from selling out horses we are looking for the best homes where they will be loved and respected by someone they can see as their new partner and best friend. (Or at least that's what I would look for :) )

Annagain

Visit site
I've never sold and haven't bought a horse in 10 years but will remember your post when I am looking again. It's full of common sense and decency!

Uliy

Visit site
Again, well said! Nice to see things from both sides. I've picked up some tips for when I look for my next horsey friend!

flirtygerty

Visit site
Family think I'm daft, but I would rather pts than sell to the wrong home, did that once, thinking he was going to a competition home, 2 yrs later he was gifted back to me, having spent the years pretty much stood in a field (other liveries reports) despite updates saying he was competing most weekends was much loved etc, it broke my heart when loading him to go to his new home, he refused to load for the first time ever, currently have a young cob who needs to go, doesn't mean he will go to just anyone, the home has to be right

orionstar

Visit site
Yep, I've had the "dont like her" conversation with the yard owner, and I won, as there are some people who could offer you the world and you still wouldnt sell a horse to them. I now have several people on my list despite the fact that I hope never to sell a horse again!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Had this with one lady, she rode the horse, not well. It was not that though, she was good enough to manage as horse was a saint, if only her mind had been kind. She jumped higher and higher, despite gobbing him each time, until she was at 3ft9" and asking for it bigger, so we refused to make it bigger and asked her to stop.

She would not stop, and went round and round jumping, gobbing each time, until OH strode across the school and grabbed hold of the bridle.

She offered full price, and when we refused to sell she threatened to sue us for diesel, time, and her upset and disappointment. We told her to do as she wished, but if she took us to court we would detail how she had ridden with disregard to horse welfare. She then turned up outside the house at odd times of day, and we also had abusive drunken phone calls.

Despite keeping our horses at home we moved him out for 6 weeks for his own safety and our peace of mind.

We could not bear to sell after that, OH learned to ride on him, and we have not advertised a horse since!

Dizzle

Visit site
I've never sold one but when I bought my mare, I offered 2/3 of the asking price, it was all the cash I had available. If seller had said no, I'd have gone away, saved up and come back to buy her but owner realised that pony (13.2hh NF, not difficult but not a perfect kids pony) would have a home for life with me, at 29 years old I wasn't going to out grow her and sell her on and she was exactly what I wanted and needed (safe but with enough of a spark to always give me something to work on). Owner wasn't the sort that enjoyed selling horses but was happy we were a good match. Three years later I wouldn't part with my nappy little pony for anything less than £50k.

Luci07

Visit site
I have just bought and by and large,had very positive experiences. I was very clear on the phone about what I wanted, what I could manage and offer. Only time it went a little awry was calling a yard to advise I was stuck in an accident and was going to be 30 minutes late...I wanted to check it was still convenient for them. Lucky I had rung as the owner had forgot to tell them I was coming....

Dry Rot

Visit site
I had an enquiy from people 250 miles away for a pony I was advertising and they sounded perfect. Then I remembered to ask if they kept any other horses. They didn't. I suggested that the pony I was selling was used to company. They said their last horse had lived happily by itself and they expected mine to do the same. I suggested they might get a Shetland as a companion. Their reply, "Oh, we don't really want to go to that expense". I didn't sell the pony and they didn't have to make that 500 mile round trip! Some people have no idea.

pansymouse

Visit site
We sold a super confident forward going pony to a supposedly perfect home; a year later we bought him back via a third party grossly overweight and scared of him own shadow. We've got him right and are now in the process of putting him out to a long term loan home. Potential loaners are getting grilled, riding tested and home visited. One of the first things we say is we have the space and money to keep him, he's going because we don't have a rider and he likes work but we are prepared to keep him turned away rather than make another mistake. If they don't understand that they don't even get invited to meet him.

Visit site
Great thread :) I recently bought my pony on first viewing (not advised I know) but she was 400 miles plus a ferry trip away. Because I didn't want to make that journey for no reason I tried to find out as much as possible before hand to make sure she was the right one. I asked for loads of photos and videos of her moving, being handled etc (unbroken, so I couldn't have tested that anyway), asked loads of questions via email, spent nearly an hour on the phone to the seller. I felt really guilty for pestering the poor woman and kept apologising but she said it was great from her end to have someone really interested and asking lots of questions to get it right. We had an instant connection on the phone and got on really well, I know that doesn't really make a difference to the pony, but it made the process nicer for us both. I offered photos of the yard and contact details of the yard owner and tried to think of things I'd want to know about someone if I was selling my horse. A week later I picked up the best little mare in the world (not biased at all!) with no surprises except how incredible her progress has been! I've kept in touch with the seller via facebook and she has been over the moon seeing the progress and how well she's settled in. I really couldn't have asked for a better seller for my first pony buying experience and I hope she feels the same about me :)

fathorselover

Visit site
Similar to thread above- i bought my mare after first viewing but grilled the owners first - they seemed really genuine and lovely which as a buyer is important to me! I am really happy with little mare and keep them updated on Facebook. They had someone view and want to buy but they didn't like them so i was the 'chosen one' and I'm glad i was!

honetpot

Visit site
Well, we've had the "Do they really want to sell the horse?", so I thought I'd turn the tables and have a grumble from the seller's point of view!

Do some buyers imagine we are selling because we need the money and will sell regardless of the type of home on offer? Do they think we don't care about our livestock? Or that we will gladly take money from those who deceive themselves about their own capabilties? Would we sell to those who couldn't sit a lead rein pony, let alone the recently backed 3yo we have for sale!?

I've just realised that I have been breeding and selling pedigree livestock for over forty years and I think I've seen them all! First, pedigree working gundogs (sold to over 30 countries world-wide), then pedigree sheep (sold all over the north of the UK including most of the Scottish islands), and now Highland ponies. Obviously, I have occasionaly bought too.

First, like the majority of owners, I DO care about my livestock even though I am selling and I'd rather sell cheap than sell to a bad home for more money. A seller usually has very little to go on to assure him or herself that the buyer will provide that good home or has the necessary experience to manage what they want to buy. Obviously, we can learn a lot from body language and how the buyer reacts to an animal. Horsey people read really well. Experienced people are confident and don't react as if the horse will kill them, but exercise due caution in dealing with a large unpredictable animal they don't know. Just chatting on the phone will usually produce a lot of information.

But judging whether they will be suitable owners starts a lot earlier than that. Sometimes a personal check via Google or Facebook can be very revealing. Like the housewife who wanted to get back into riding but turned out to be a notorious dealer! The post code should bring up a satellite map of where they live. One prospective gundog buyer mentioned that he would be using the dog to shoot game on his farm. What? In the middle of Newcastle?:)

Of course, just talking to people and introducing some gentle questioning helps a lot. What are their interests? No point in trying to sell a plod to someone wanting a games pony. And it would be discourteous to entice someone to travel a long distance to view something that is patently unsuitable. But, again, we are up against the buyer who has an inflated idea of their abilities. Frankly, the advertiser who is looking for 'a 15HH alrounder' shouldn't be surprised if they get offered a lot of unsuitable animals. They will help themselves, and be left less confused, by being more specific in stating exactly what it is they are after. Sellers will offer plenty that don't even remotely fit the description!

Sellers who don't respond to messages leave a definite impression on a buyer and it is not a good one.

Will someone who is incapable to making an appointment, and keeping to it, really provide that good home? I must say I am always impressed when people arrive on time. I accept that someone travelling a long distance will probably be unable to state a precise time of arrival, but a rough idea helps when we work outside and have stock to feed and hay to make. Otherwise, does the seller stay by the house all day in hope? I did that last week -- and the buyer didn't turn up! People who are discourteous and unreliable with humans are hardly likely to be more attentive to their animals! Lame excuses that they 'couldn't get a signal' when they've just stated they were in a location bristling with public telephones just convinces that they haven't much regard for the truth either. Or the couple who arrived two hours late. That was forgivable -- but not when they did it a second time!

It is a funny thing, but it is a general characteristic that most people prefer to deal with people they like. Some buyers instantly put the seller's back up! Maybe the buyer has been lied to, cheated, or deceived and are expecting the same treatment again. That's a mistake. Most people are honest but we never forget that minority. So, dear buyer, just bear in mind that we judge you by our behaviour and if you treat us, the sellers, badly, we are likely to assume you will do the same to our horses. We may want to sell, we may even need to sell, but you are less likely to be sold the horse you want at the price you are prepared to pay if you do not have respect. The best business deal is the one that leaves both parties feeling that they have a bargain and the best business is from returning customers.
I agree totally with this and couldn't have put it better.

Rhodders

Visit site
I refused the first folk that came to view my horse, they wanted to turn him out for An hour a day and keep him in a stable where he couldn't even see their other horse, as that was their routine with their other horse. I also told a couple of people he just wasn't suitable for them to save them bothering to come and see him. Selling a horse is hard enough, to me home was far more important than price. Despite one of those horse over there >>>>>>> things where some members decided it was some smoke screen for saying I just wanted rid, it wasn't and I took a big price drop for the home I knew was right for him.

mirage

Visit site
We've been to see many ponies over the past few years and I have never once not turned up or turned up late,it is just so rude. I usually text as we are leaving too,so the seller knows we are on our way.

Some times the ponies themselves make the decision. One of ours,who is very whizzy and we loan,was tried by another child prior to us and refused to move.

hairycob

Visit site
We always try to be a few minutes early. The only time we were late we were on track to be there about 15 minutes early, only 10miles away when the motorway came to a complete standstill & we didn't move for nearly two hours! We did keep seller informed & they were able to tell us that,sadly, there had been a fatal accident. We did buy the horse,despite him failing vetting and still have him 7 years later.

kathantoinette

Visit site
Very good post - I have a friend who has just been through the selling process, she said the whole thing was a nightmare but has finally found a lovely home for her horse. I think the comment 'we are up against the buyer who has an inflated idea of their abilities' is so true and is creating a serious issue with the selling/buying of horses.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Not horses, but I was discussing people who turn up late with a friend who runs a kennels. He is an irascible old beggar at the best of times so I was amazed when he told me late comers never bothered him. He then went on to say if they were that disorganised, they'd probably not remember the price quoted so he always upped it by £50! He said they sometimes protested but he'd stick to his guns, always got the extra, and he hadn't lost a sale yet! :)