Do they think they are clever?

Ginn

Visit site
I think she's referring to jumping a 9hh yearling over 2'3 jumps! Stupid fcuking people! Argh! I've had it up to here today with idiots that shouldn't be allowed anywhere near horses!

severnmiles

Visit site
I see Vics point but the jump in the pics doesn't quite look 2'3 and is that any worse than the so called pros jumping a newly(ish) weaned foal over a largish jump covered in flowers in the name of making big bucks on breeding a showjumper?

The atmosphere is probably also pretty mindblowing compared with that little yearling popping a few poles at home. I remember the Woodcroft stud had a foal that was voluntarily jumping poles at a few days old.

Ginn

Visit site
No TCC the jump is not 2'3 but they mention it in the ad.

Imo jumping a yearling is asking for damage to the joints, especially large jumps for a relatively small pony (2'3 is about 0.65m)

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
It doesnt look 2ft3 to me either. The advert goes on to say that it does jump 2ft3 and has been 'sat on by small children'. I should hope they were bloody small.
My yearling jumped the water trough the other day, but I certainly didnt tell him too. The other will happily jump the electric fence, its a bit different to actually expecting them to jump at that age.
Professional or amateur, it is not right.

severnmiles

Visit site
I agree, my yearling jumped 1m20 Xmas eve(at 9months) but I would never ask her to jump that height.

And yes, hope they were teeny children because 9hh is incy wincy!

allijudd

Visit site
i took it to bein too young to jump...am now corrected...but i would be more worried about the jump wings being the wrong wy round and what would happen if he went into them???///

Tia

Visit site
LOL!! Yep it sure is going to be a super little jumper.

As for the little children sitting on a youngsters back.....I have absolutely no issue with that. My daughter sits on all my yearlings backs - they don't get a shock when backing time comes a little further down the line if they are de-sensitised to it when they are young.

I guess it's horses for courses again.

dieseldog

Visit site
I thought you were upset as they were trying to pass a coloured off as a dartmoor - are any M&M allowed to be coloureds? If not how is it getting placed in M&M classes? The guy obviously tells a lot of stories.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
*cough*

I'm surprised no one has noticed it's breeding...

I used to have a dartmoor pony. That is not one.

That is a shetland/sheltand cross.

NOT a dartmoor.

BLooming idiots.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Do you think putting jack russell on welsh a yearlings back is comparable?!?!
max004.jpg

+
nags009.jpg

= animal cruelty!?

Fairynuff

Visit site
he seems to be quite happy to do it! As for kids sitting on him-theyre a damn sight stronger than they look although I wouldnt do it to them at that age. M.

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
way too young to jump but even more to young (does that make sense?) to have a child on its back the poor thing its 9hh for christ sake and a year old!!! its not strong enough to take a child of any weight!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok before I write what I am, I'm not condoning jumping yearlings.

But who says it is way too young to jump? In the wild they would jump as soon as they needed to, they would jump as foals to get out of danger. At Mals a little colt jumped 3'4 out of the field. I'm not saying its right that these people jump yearlings or let children sit on their backs, having said that when Holly was in her second year I let a neighbours 4y.o sit on her...was that wrong?

I mean sitting a kid on a yearling compared with breaking and hacking one out - which I've done, and nearly half killed myself in the process yet nobody goes beserk at that, another month or two and they'll be breaking the yearlings for 2y.o racing next summer. I do appreciate though that this is a 9hh pony, but when you compare a small child of a few stone compared with 9stone + tack on a 15.0, extremely fine yearling TB I know which I'd prefer if I was the horse/pony!

Tia

Visit site
You've lost me here LOL!!

Small children could mean anything from a 6 month old child to a 3 year old. How much does the average 3 year old weigh? I don't know but it can't be very much surely? The advert implies that the pony has been sat on by a child, I think that was the words used, therefore I cannot see how any damage could possibly be done by a child sitting on it......riding perhaps, but not sitting.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Its not only the fact its a yearling though, its the fact its a 9hh yearling!! Though i dont condone breaking yearlings anyway but thats a completely different topic which you dont wana get me started on lol
Jumping, yes in the wild they do, but not a significant amount, not enough to destroy their legs before they're fully developed.
Personally if i had a baby right from a foal i wouldn't do anything other than handling until it was 3 but thats just me!