Do they think they are clever?

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I dont agree with tbs being broken so young in racing either.
Im sure I read/was told that jumping isnt within a horses natural instinct, they only do it in the wild out of fear, but then horses today arent wild at all. Would explain why my horse simply cant get jumping into his head, took me 40 mins to get him over pole on the floor (he is closest to wild I have ever known, was born in herd of mares and stallion and raised with them till 2yo).
As for sitting on a young horses back, nothing wrong with a minute or 2. In the advert the pony is described as 'bombproof',which is something that no professional would use to advertise a horse. It gives the impression they have done slightly more than sit on him.

Tia

Visit site
As I say, horses for courses. All my youngsters are well and truly handled from the moment they arrive. They are all halter trained, blanketed over winter, feet picked up, the whole of their body is fussed over every time we are in contact with them. They are walked out and taken around the farm and down to the road, up the woods, kept in the corral right next to the trampoline and pool for periods of time, taken in and out of the trailer, taken into the huge hay barn, had saddles put on them and all have had my daughter "sit" bareback on them. Ours are backed and ridden out at any period between 20 months and 3 years old depending on the individual animal. All are "bombproof" (jeez I mustn't be a professional LOL!) and don't care a hoot when we finally do get round to backing them.

Works for me - not saying that others should do the same - that's up to them what they do and doesn't affect me.

Tia

Visit site
You see now, I would never lunge.....

....tricky isn't it, what some see as acceptable, others find not.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Looks like a Bodmin pony (Dartmoor hill pony). They are coloured because travellers let they're coloured stallions loose on the moors and they bred with the native Dartmoors. I don't think they can be registered as Dartmoors but I think they can be shown in non registered M+M classes.
I wouldn't jump a horse till they were 3 and then only very small. I would led them over a pole though.
I put a towel on my 3month old foals back and he didn't worry or anything and a towel is quite heavy. I can't see how a small, light child will hurt a yearling and I don't see how it differs from a 14hh yearling and a 9hh yearling. I guess it depends on the horse though.