Do we make having horses more difficult than it needs to be..???

_GG_

Visit site
Well, the girls have been turned away for the winter and I have never seen them happier. Neither really knew the company of being out with another horse fully until this summer when I put them in together. Fly has always been a cow and Molly was on her own for 6 months before I got her and only with her mum from time to tine before that.

They are now on 4 acres (had little individual 1/8th acre paddocks before. I poo pick as and when the ground allows me to but it doesn't really make much difference. I have always been really anal about poo picking but have come to realise that actually, they are fine, it is not the end of the world not to be able to do it through the week and just catch up on the weekends if I have to. They are having the times of their lives.

You know what, they are no longer horses grazing and snoozing. They are friends, playing, grazing, annoying each other, grooming each other, running and farting about then lying down to snooze together. It is so good to see them able to properly gallop about and buck and leap and spin. They are like puppies.

xxx

burtie

Visit site
Whilst I would love that, the one big disadvantage to living in the New Forest is that because we have so much area to ride over, good quality turnout close enough to ride on the Open Forest is like hen's teeth and therefore very valuable. Waiting lists to rent such fields are long and often pass around friends if they do come up. Land prices are around £50k an acre and sometimes more, if you have good access to the New Forest!

MileAMinute

Visit site
Sounds ideal, only there is nowhere near me that offers 24/7 grazing and meets my personal needs, the land is too wet.

My boy is stabled at night and out during the day. I wouldn't say keeping him is difficult. Me and another livery manage our horses between us - we both also work demanding and varied shifts and cope just fine.

It's easy if you're organised, have routine and appropriate arrangements.

maxapple

Visit site
Its all dependent on the facilities you can find where u live. I live in the SE where it's very difficult to find good grass livery. We had our own little place for a while but the owners failed to do any maintenance promised so we had to move (horses escaping etc)

I've had my two stabled for the past year but last month the most perfect grass livery spaces came up at my yard and so we have moved.

They are now out 24/7 in a huge field with loads of natural shelter (a mini wood to go in too). I've gone from having to go up every night to ride my stressed pony, and planning my weekends around bring in times etc to being able to go up when I want. I can't ride in the week but I hate schooling anyway! (I still have access to the school etc but it's too dark to lead my spooky pony across the park!) Horses are happy, we have a rota with the two other ladies who share the field for hay etc.

My two boys are also so chilled and relaxed now and the oldie is a million times better. I'm also saving around £450 a month!!

Also I have a very stressful job and some nights after work find it hard to string a sentence together - so being able to go down to the field and see no one and just sit watching my boys eat their dinner and munch hay is heaven. It's pitch black and will get tougher if it's wet and cold but I'll cope - and in just 2 weeks the days start getting longer again anyway!

pennyturner

Visit site
It took me years to realise that what I was doing to make my life easier (working full time and young family) was actually the right thing for the horses, and not something to feel guilty about.

11 of them are out 24/7/365. I have a couple of large meadows, and they rotate between them, so that there's plenty of forage. Both have streams which don't freeze. No rugs, no shoes. They're as close to feral as makes no difference, and wouldn't come to any harm if I didn't see them from one month to the next.

They're a chilled out, wooly, friendly bunch - no problems catching any of them (including the unbroken youngsters). In fact there's often a queue at the gate to be chosen for work!

Holding

Visit site
Just to be the odd one out, I wouldn't want to own horses if I had to keep them out 24/7. I can't think of anything more stressful than just having a field whatever the weather. Fair enough if they are turned away, but those who work and compete their horse straight from the field over winter have my respect. I have two - the one in work doesn't get turned out and the one that isn't in work gets a few hours a day. I spend a vast amount of time, money and effort on my horses - I'm not about to chuck them out to pull off shoes and hurt themselves. Plus the land can't take it - I'd rather sacrifice turnout now so there's lots of lovely grass in the spring.

Asha

Visit site
Every window of my house looks out onto my horses. Even in the bathrooms I can see horses :smile3: My pasture fields totally surround the farmhouse.

Its not always a good thing, I can see mine from living room, and bathroom. But when its horrible weather, my yearling stands at the gate staring at me, im sure shes calling me all the names under the sun as I'm warm and toasty sipping my G&T.:eek:

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I'm in the SE & grass livery is certainly not cheaper - in fact, it's usually more expensive if you want good fencing, some form of shelter & running water. Never mind electricity or a school or good hacking.

I keep mine on DIY livery, with day turn out but still try to keep things as simple as possible for his benefit as well as mine - he's never looked better or been happier, so I'm happy :)

He'd cope just fine 24/7 & it's something I hope to be able to do next year when we move, but not realistic right now - I couldn't afford the increase in ££££ if nothing else! But the logistics of grass livery, a full time job and sembelence of a life wouldn't work for me right now.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Its not always a good thing, I can see mine from living room, and bathroom. But when its horrible weather, my yearling stands at the gate staring at me, im sure shes calling me all the names under the sun as I'm warm and toasty sipping my G&T.:eek:

Lol! Mine all live out 24/7 so I never get any of them standing at the gate. The only time they do that is if I'm riding out and it's almost like a 'pick me, pick me!' type situation :smile3: My guys all have big barns and field shelters to go in if they so choose, they rarely do choose to go in them though.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Just to be the odd one out, I wouldn't want to own horses if I had to keep them out 24/7. I can't think of anything more stressful than just having a field whatever the weather.

Many of us don't *have* to keep them outside 24/7, at least I certainly don't. I have a lovely barn with custom made stables that sit empty. I choose to because I have been on both sides of the fence and I know without any shadow of a doubt that the horses prefer to be out and that makes my life so non-stressful knowing they are happy, but then it's not about me :smile3:

Last edited:

PollyP99

Visit site
Well I mentioned my situation in a thread a couple of days ago. I had to move to a livery due to the sudden death of my mares field mate. Before this they were out 24x7. I've only had her for 10 months and when I got her was told she can live out but does like her stable. I had no option to stable her so planned on a life out.

What I wasn't ready for is the extreme change in personality since being on the yard. She had been getting increasingly spooky,I posted about her silliness over the summer months and was advised to try some magnesium.

What's weird is she has been on this 36 horse livery for 1 week, it's noisy and busy yet she has gone from jumpy to chilled, comes in the dark, goes out alone etc. I rode her out hacking yesterday and she was looky but went out well and without any napping.

Personally I love it too, I tuck her in at night, lots of time to bond, in for 12 hours out for 12, the other liveries are nice, a school, good hacking and only double the grass livery with hay and straw ad-lib. Option for out 24x7 in march, field shared with 2 other mares of about 3 acres.

So I'm a convert, love the lack of mud, the lack of guilt on horrible days, love making a huge straw bed. I can see her before work now too which I really like, I have a long commute and stressful job but mucking out is an antidote to that so yes I get up early but I really don't mind, that's why we have them isn't it.

There is no right way, it's just what's right for you and your horse, right now livery is therapy after a horrible experience and I'm very grateful I have the option .

Copperpot

Visit site
I have stables but choose to leave them out 24/7. They are in big fields so it isn't muddy and doesn't take me any longer to brush them than if they were in, I'd still groom the same regardless. When it's belting down with rain I go down to see how they are and they are always grazing, never in the shelter and never by the gate. So I assume they are happy as they are.

Visit site
Between me and my mum, we have 2 horses and a pony on DIY Livery. All are currently stabled at night, the two horses are in work (4-5 times per week each) and are both clipped and all are rugged. I have just moved to a different yard and must say I am finding it harder work than when I kept them at the yard I work at. I would love to have more turnout for them all so that they could stay out all day everyday in the Winter. Summer's are easier (and also cheaper!) as they all live out 24/7. I don't have an arena at my current yard either which is making getting two horses exercised tricky if mum's not riding as I have to hack both which takes a lot longer than hacking one and schooling one. I know they don't have to be ridden but they both enjoy their work so I like to keep them fairly busy. Might have to have a rethink next winter though as still finding DIY fairly expensive and time consuming.

Sophstar

Visit site
The people on my yard seem to! My pony and field share who has 5, are the only ones left on the yard with our herd living out 24/7. I have a stable which certainly got its full use last winter when the fields were lakes and it was just permenantly wet but this year *touch wood* it's dry and the grass is still growing. All ours are out naked, the horses are in a paddock with big trees for shelter and on windy days the ponies get moved into a paddock with a big hedge as a wind break. It's currently only the 3 ponies getting a couple of slices of hay thrown out overnight incase the temperature drops. Suits me and my pony fine, he prefers being with company and being caked in mud. Ironically it's only our herd who don't have mud fever as everyone who brings their horses in are insistent on scrubbing their legs and looking spotless so they seem to be making more problems for themselves!

buddy's mummy

Visit site
Not everyone has the choice: where I live there is nowhere to rent a field, the standard practice is to allow turnout in winter but not if weather is extreme, all horses must have a stable. They also need extra fodder in winter, so hay or haylage has to be arranged.
There is a high proportion of kids with ponies, so toilets are needed, and as they gather during weekends and school holidays they like to have a settee for lunch breaks. Not saying this is essential, but we are talking about a significant part of their social life.
Safe hacking is often not available, and the type of riding people do nowadays tends to be manege based.
I notice those few who do have a field tend to be pet owners rather than riders. Occasionally I see horses standing in a dirty boggy field for months on end, with little or no shelter, I bet they wish they were tucked up in bed every night.

my boy Budds is out 24/7 as he hates being stabled! he much prefers life outside with the cows, I have stables, and a big clean barn with bed of straw at back if he wants it that he can come into when he wants to for shelter - but he never does - he is always out! I havent even started feeding hay yet - he just not interested, only feeding hard feed once a day! I work long hours full time so only get to see him once a day in the dark to check he is has 4 legs and he gets his feed. but he is very happy. and riding is non existant at mo, just no time! this time of year is always the same! roll on lighter evenings!

buddy's mummy

Visit site
I have stables but choose to leave them out 24/7. They are in big fields so it isn't muddy and doesn't take me any longer to brush them than if they were in, I'd still groom the same regardless. When it's belting down with rain I go down to see how they are and they are always grazing, never in the shelter and never by the gate. So I assume they are happy as they are.

echo this.

chaps89

Visit site
I found having mine out 24/7 just as much work/if not more as having him out in the day and in at night through winter. Id rather muck out and have the stable ready in 15 minutes and do an hour or so poo picking at the weekend when theres time than spend 30-45 minutes poo picking a huge field daily. Especially where you have to fight the light in winter. Horse still had to come in/then go back out for feed so time still spent going between yard and field. Traipsing out in muddy fields of hungry horses to hay is much less fun than making haynets (andthats saying something as I hate making haynets up) The plus sides to having a horse out is it is easier to ask someone to check them if youre away, lie ins at the weekend and as someone who works full time mon-fri no having to ask/pay people to bring in during the week.
That said, despite being a native, my old horse was a real wimp who liked to come in during the day in summer and night at winter, he had much more sparkle this way than when living out even tho it was a big field with a herd.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I definitely did and no way will I ever go back to that mindset again. I think the media has a lot to account for and I believe people are all trying to be the next Zara Phillips, in some way. SO we get to thinking our horses should do this, we should do that. Everything should be clipped, shod, in the best gear, wearing the top bridle, eating the best scientifically formulated diet... I think if we all stripped it back to basics it'd be a lot more fulfilling. It is for me anyway.

madlady

Visit site
At our previous place we had field at the side of the stables - the field gate was open most of the time and stable doors were left open so that they could come and go as they pleased, I found that my big girls (friesians) chose to stay in when it was baking hot also if the weather was horrendous they would refuse to leave their stables but they would go out in cold/damp/moderate heat.

Where we are now our summer grazing isn't in the same place as the stables so they are out from May to November and then we have limited daily turnout through winter - I don't like it at all, I've found for the last couple of years that I've ended up hardly riding in the summer because the weather has been so crap and at the end of the day I have horses because I want to ride - not just go and say hello to them in the field.

They are in at night now but just yesterday I went to put them out for the afternoon after riding - both planted on the yard and refused to move. I let go of the leadropes and they both turned tail and took themselves back into their stables

Suechoccy

Visit site
I've tried 3 different systems so far in the 14 yrs I've had Choccy and my view is there's no Right or Wrong system, but there is a System Which Suits You And Your Horse and depending on your circumstances, different systems suit at different times, eg...

1. Choccy young, good doer, in 2 acre field with a shetland. Live out, no rugs or hay except deepest winter. Daily poopicking, brushing mud off when riding in wet weather. Cheap as no bedding.

2. Choccy older, good doer, in 2 acre field with a subservient youngster. In at night to ensure youngster gets his fair share of hay, and gives field 12 hours rest from being mullered by 2 big horses. Expensive as bedding but less time spent poopicking field (pick deeplittered stable instead).

3 Last winter field flooded so neds evacuated to vast 30 acre grassy field with cattle and other horses and other owners. Novelty of being able to take whole days off "doing the horses" as all that's needed is to count the legs are present and correct... Toook ages to walk to far side of 30 acres to catch him though...

I am tempted by thoughts of round-bale, rug and live out ... but Choccy will scoff himself even fatter than normal* while youngster is still submissive enough to get chased off bale once they're over halfway through it. So that's possibly System 4 for next year's winter. And it's also backup emergency plan for if I'm ill.

*Those who've posted that they stop scoffing once they realise the roundbale is always there ... last winter in the 30 acre field, Choccy spent every morning and every night scoffing up all the hay left by the other horses (hay was put out twice a day) before going onto the grass. He came home looking like a barrage balloon and in 3 months showed no signs of the novelty wearing off. The equine equivalent of a vacuum cleaner...

Last edited:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I definitely did and no way will I ever go back to that mindset again. I think the media has a lot to account for and I believe people are all trying to be the next Zara Phillips, in some way. SO we get to thinking our horses should do this, we should do that. Everything should be clipped, shod, in the best gear, wearing the top bridle, eating the best scientifically formulated diet... I think if we all stripped it back to basics it'd be a lot more fulfilling. It is for me anyway.

It is fulfilling for you but doesn't mean it would be for someone else. Different people have horses for different reasons. I simplify things as much as I can but it isn't always possible to do any more. I also disagree about wanting the top bridle, best diet etc. My YO had an Intermediate eventer who existed on 24/7 turnout and chaff. Doesn't get more basic than that, and also doesn't mean there is anything wrong with her eventing aims (to be the next Zara Philips, or whoever she wants to be). I choose to keep my horse at livery. In the summer he is out 24/7 which is great, but having him stabled at night in the winter makes my life easier. He is clipped, because even 30 mins of flat schooling results in a v sweaty horse so it is more comfortable for him and easier for me. He is shod most of the time, though currently having a break from shoes for winter. He has a cheapy bridle and a very nice, fitted saddle. And from my POV there are things he *should* do... he should school at least a couple of times per week because it is good for him. It isn't because I want to be the next ZP, it's because I want to have a horse who is strong, well muscled and supple, meaning he is able to do his job easily. Stripping it back to basics would make no difference to that for me. He doesn't have a scientifically formulated diet, but he isn't a good doer (he is actually quite a poor doer) so I am particular about what I feed him because he struggles to maintain a good weight.

However... I do think it's easy to get caught up in thinking you must compete every weekend or be *achieving* something to make it all worthwhile. I've found myself thinking that and getting stressed because I'm then over-committed in trying to do everything. The happy medium for me is ensuring I keep up the horse's schooling (with a balance of other work too) then just competing when I have time and doing it doesn't stress me out. I have found myself thinking "my horse is Xyo so he MUST be doing X, Y and Z by now", but I drive myself crazy if I think about it that way. He doesn't care if he's doing it and he isn't for sale, so I've made myself stop worrying. But I don't need to go right back to basics to keep out of that mindset, I just need to not over-commit myself.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
*Those who've posted that they stop scoffing once they realise the roundbale is always there ... last winter in the 30 acre field, Choccy spent every morning and every night scoffing up all the hay left by the other horses (hay was put out twice a day) before going onto the grass. He came home looking like a barrage balloon and in 3 months showed no signs of the novelty wearing off. The equine equivalent of a vacuum cleaner...

I have two of those. simply doesn't work for most natives and to my mind, its one of the reasons so many go into the spring too fat. not only that, the Exmoors stand on it, pee on it and waste it that way as well. they are fed from big nets of straw and hay. more work possibly (although filling a haynet takes what, 30s?) but then less work next year and less worry. The older one simply doesn't stop eating, ever. I tried it one winter and they came out of it blinking huge-despite no hard feed or rugs. They are programmed to eat whats there, when it is there.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have two of those. simply doesn't work for most natives and to my mind, its one of the reasons so many go into the spring too fat. not only that, the Exmoors stand on it, pee on it and waste it that way as well. they are fed from big nets of straw and hay. more work possibly (although filling a haynet takes what, 30s?) but then less work next year and less worry. The older one simply doesn't stop eating, ever. I tried it one winter and they came out of it blinking huge-despite no hard feed or rugs. They are programmed to eat whats there, when it is there.

Yep, M was the same (and he clearly wasn't an Exmoor!). You could give him an entire round bale and he'd have a go at finishing it all in one go. If you have a fat horse coming out of winter, you will spend all spring and summer trying not to let it become obese. I found it better to let him get lean in winter, then he could afford to put some on in summer. R is a different kettle of fish... comes out of winter very lean and gets to just about right even with 7 months out on good grass 24/7. And now, at the start of winter, he is already too lean. I don't know what to do with something that isn't a good doer!! :/

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I wouldn't either now! some of my friend's feed bills make me gasp frankly. M was obviously a honorary mealie :D

What's a mealie?!

R eats more in a day than M did in a week... expensive complete feeds (Healthy Tummy is not cheap though I don't give him the FOUR scoops a day he is supposed to have... he would be insane on it) and SB, plus linseed and adlib hay... and am now considering Copra for later in the season :-S

marmalade76

Visit site
Mine are currently feral and loving it, but have to say it is nice to be able to stable and pamper them, spend more time with them faffing, etc. What annoys me is when people insist that their horse needs or wants to be stabled, needs certain expensive feeds, supplements, etc and that horse ownership costs the earth - it doesn't have to! Unless you have limited turnout the only reason for stabling IMO (barring lameness/illness, etc) is for the owner's/rider's convenience and nothing else.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Mine are currently feral and loving it, but have to say it is nice to be able to stable and pamper them, spend more time with them faffing, etc. What annoys me is when people insist that their horse needs or wants to be stabled, needs certain expensive feeds, supplements, etc and that horse ownership costs the earth - it doesn't have to! Unless you have limited turnout the only reason for stabling IMO (barring lameness/illness, etc) is for the owner's/rider's convenience and nothing else.

Mine doesn't particularly want or need to be stabled. He is stabled at night in winter because that's the rule at the yard I am on, and I want to stay on that yard. And because it is easier for me. I moved from my previous yard because they decided no turnout in winter - that was going to make for a very upset and stressed pony, and also a skint me because it would cost a fortune in hay, bedding, fuel to go up twice a day etc. My horse only likes being stabled because the other horses are in too. He just wants to be wherever they are, simple as that. If they are all out, he wants to be out. If they're in, he wants to be in with them.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
You might not, but plenty of people do. My point was that everyone thinks they need to be like that. Not everyone does. If it suits you and you are happy, then clearly you need to be like that so my reply doesn't apply to you, however, for those floundering in unhappiness perhaps less pressure would help.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
You might not, but plenty of people do. My point was that everyone thinks they need to be like that. Not everyone does. If it suits you and you are happy, then clearly you need to be like that so my reply doesn't apply to you, however, for those floundering in unhappiness perhaps less pressure would help.

I agree - and did go on to say in the second paragraph that it is easy to end up putting lots of pressure on yourself then being unhappy.

EmmaB

Visit site
Mine would normally be in this time of year but to be honest I can't be bothered will all the mucking out and the extra cost of them being in, so they're staying out full time now until it snows or if we have bad weather they can come in for a few nights. But they will be back out asap, also keeps my old boy moving, he stiffens up and gets fat legs staying in so whats the point! I'm just chucking extra rugs on. Then again this is the first winter my old ones ever had something to stay out with as he would have always been on his own before if he was the only one staying out.

But mainly I just can't be doing with the constant to-ing and fro-ing from the yard multiple times a day anymore, and they cost enough as it is!

Also I did start to get fed up of riding as I felt I had to do it...stopped enjoying it a little so now I'm just riding here and there when I actually feel like it, as opposed to when I feel like I should!

Last edited: