Do we think this horse is overpriced?

LankyDoodle

Visit site
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRef/HM8...HorseDetail.asp

HM829B88E

I wasn't sure whether I was 100% interested as the pictures aren't great quality and the advert doesn't give a lot away (also, I am really looking for an ID, but have my options a bit open). As I wasn't 100% I decided to email the seller and ask for more information/a ridden pic etc.

I got a reply:

Sandy was shown as a 3 year old and then we made the decision that we do not have enough time to show her properly as a shire. So we decided to put her in foal to My Eclipse. She has been backed - meaning that we put saddle, bridle and person on her and went off down the road. She took no notice of this event. The person on top was my daughters boyfriend who is 6 foot and 14 stone. This was done when she was 3 years old, then due to being in foal we turned her away. The only time Sandy required a vet was to have a varicose vein tied off which was in her vagina. She has never had laminitis. Sandy is micro-chipped, fully registered with the Shire Society, up to date with flu and tetanus. I do not have a picture of her with rider on board but can get you one, i.e. I will get her in tomorrow and sort one out.

I live 10 minutes from Penzance.
Hope this info helps.

She is 5 and has done nothing really - some in hand showing and been sat on once. It all seems a bit weird and she seems quite expensive. What do you think?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Expensivo!!! Then again, I know nothing about shire breeding so could be wrong. I would say £2000 - 2500 for her?

Look nice enough though
smile.gif

LankyDoodle

Visit site
I kind of agree with you.

I don't think I want a shire, though. I am just a sucker for a pretty face!! I need to stick to what I want this time, which is a 16hh+ ID or IDX... and for 4k I'd want a horse that had done something!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Presumably if she's pure bred and true to the breed then she's a bargin.

Not a riding horse though I would say.

LankyDoodle

Visit site
I do think she's beautiful which is what drew me in, as I actually want an ID. I nearly bought a shire before, when I was looking for a welsh d. I got a welsh d in the end. Like stencil, I am not up on shire breeding or pricing, but like you say, she is pure bred and with the right home could probably show successfully.

I have up to 5k to spend and after toing and froing with different options, I've decided on the ID as I want to start doing more RC and get out doing more.

A shame because she is pretty and I love her colouring.

xnaughtybutnicex

Visit site
I suppose it depends what you want her for because from a riding point of view her experience is practically none so you might not want to pay that much but if your breeding i think you probably would spend that much.

Beanyowner

Visit site
If shes pure bred then a bit of a bargain...if its a cross or she 'thinks' its a Shire...expensive. I would agree on the £2000 mark or round abouts.
She is quite pretty though...
smile.gif

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
I agree with random_rach. If you are looking for a riding horse then it's quite a lot for what she's done and you could get more of a schoolmaster type for your money. If you are looking for a show horse then it's not.

moneypit1

Visit site
She is in foal to My Eclipse who is a beautiful TB stallion who events sucessfully. Worth it to his fans I expect, would hopefully get a decent foal that would be worth a fair bit on its own merit.

Parkranger

Visit site
can't see ad but if she's put to a good TB then I'd have her!

Shire x TB don't seem so available now but 15 years ago they were all the rage....excellent hunters and usually bold as brass

DollyDolls

Visit site
I cant see ad either, but Dolls is shire x trakehner & I love the cross.

She must have good breeding to be registered with the Shire society, or at least proper breeding!!