Do you attend the vetting?

Shoei

Visit site
Question in the title really, I'm horse hunting at the moment and wondered if I needed to attend the vetting. Some of the horses I am looking at are quite a way and I wouldn't want to take the box to the vetting as I would feel like I was tempting fate in case it failed. :eek:

Thanks

Nicnac

Visit site
Yes - but don't take the box as pointless if horse fails. I like to be there as use my own vet and want to hear/see exactly what he finds (if anything) so I can take a view on whether it's a deal breaker/a negotiation matter or something that I am happy to go with.

starryeyed

Visit site
You don't have to be present for it, but I chose to be when I was having my mare vetted as I wanted to see how she reacted to all the various tests she was being put through. She was a bit of a nutty one and it was a really good opportunity to see her being trotted up / lunged / flexion tested etc, to have her teeth and eyes looked at and to see how she reacted to the blood test being taken. It's also a good opportunity to discuss things with the vet as he goes along rather than having a big discussion at the end. I didn't take the horsebox with me. x

Shoei

Visit site
Thanks guys, looks like I will have to see if I can bribe my boss to let me have a day off because I don't think they do vettings at the weekend do they?

Arniebear

Visit site
I have been to some and others i havent, my latest buy i wasnt there as couldnt get the time off work! I wasnt too fussed about seeing how he reacted as he was a sweety anyway (he's a horror now thou!! :p) but the vet rang me as soon as he was done and discussed everything, i did speak to the vet to before hand and expressed my concerns about certain things but he assured me they were all fine! :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I wasn't there when mine was vetted, as we were supposed to all (me, vendor, vet) meeting at a central place at a yard for the vetting, and we would take him home from there if he passed. But then the vendor was a no show, and our vet then took himself off and drove to her yard to vet him. I can't remember why we couldn't go but we trust our vet so it wasn't an issue.

Then again, maybe he could foresee all the money we'd spend on the horse in vets fees :D

Spring Feather

Visit site
I never have horses vetted if I'm able to meet them. The only horses I have vetted are ones which I'm importing from a different country and I have to have vettings done on these horses to comply with export/import regulations. So no I am never at any vettings done on horses I buy because they are usually thousands of miles away, but I do speak to the vet afterwards and generally the vets video the vetting (of their own accord) and mail me the link. They also email all findings and a copy of the vetting report.

Astra

Visit site
I attended the vetting for my latest horse and I was glad I did. The vetting showed up a few niggles and by being there I could see the issues and discuss them with the vet there and then, rather than have the vet describe them over the phone. If you can possibly be there I would recommend you do.

Tern

Visit site
Would never dream of not being there! owner can do anything to horse while your not there and you wont know really. Yes vettings do happen on weekends, our was done on a weekend :) And also like our vet, if he thinks you should have something off the price then he will tell you there and then . Do NOT take box waste of petrol/diesel if horse fails, If he passes make arrangements to pick up preferably max week later.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am never there unless the horse is on my yard .
I will brief the vet before the vetting , explaining what I want the horse for and flagging up things I have noticed that I want the vets opinion on ,there's no need to be there so I view it as a waste of time to attend .
I have a telephone conversation with the vet after the vetting.
I go the next day to pick up the horse once they have passed I want them off the owners yard the next day .