Do you bring your horses in during bad weather?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Hi all
Mine live out 24/7 in the summer with hay in the field.
In the winter, I normally bring them at night in when the field gets a bit wet - so maybe December to March. Once I start bringing them in, they come in every night until spring.
But - do you bring your horses in just for a couple of nights, for example for Storm Alex, and how do they cope with with the change in routine?

To complicate things, mine have to be together - and one loves to be out, while the other loves to be in :D

IrishMilo

Visit site
I don't have a set routine, they come and go. I like them to be out as much as possible but not to their own physical or mental detriment. If it's set to rain all day and all night, they come in at night but will go out rugged for as long as they'll stand during the day. Mine hates being out in the rain, and also lies down to sleep, so I like him to be able to lie down in a big dry bed. As I said on another thread, he loves being in his stable and I have to drag him out (literally) some days.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I bring mine in to protect the fields not them - they are waterproof, hairy and at the moment too fat. One with arthrius is an exception but even he is better out and moving than stuck in.
Mine can stay out 24 /7, then be in for a day, then out again for two weeks, then in over night for 3-4 days - I deliberately try and make sure they don't have routine (it helps them not learn to hang around the gateway). They seem fine with it and I've managed them like this for many years.
Some winters they have been in c.20 nights the whole year, others they have been in for what feels like months - sometimes 24 /7 in with turnout in the school when the rain has been unrelenting.

I am lucky I can spy on them from the house - in some of the grimmest weather they are happily grazing in the middle of the field - in weather that looks OK to me they are huddled behind the stone walls (at which point I'll go and get them).

If I go to get them in and they look up from eating - stare at me then carry on eating and ignore me - they usually stay out.

If I go to get them and they run to the gate I know they want in.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mine are out as much as possible, never in when high winds are forecasted tho.

Shils, when it gets v dark both ends of the day, and is wet too, I sometimes bring mine in for the odd night or 2, usually night before I go to coal face as quicker to whizz round 3 stables than poo pick at 6am, often in again after work, so soon they'll be doing a couple of nights in a week.
Never seems to faze them at all.

BBP

Visit site
Not really ‘in in’, they come onto hard standing and arena, just to protect the fields. We run track systems so often there isn’t a lot of grass cover to allow the field to cope in really wet weather, so they come off it whilst the worst of the weather drains off, then back out. They aren’t bothered by their routines changing.

NinjaPony

Visit site
One of mine is in at night all year round to control his laminitis so nothing much changes for him. He’s in this morning though because it’s so horrible and he detests bad weather. Will put him out at lunch for a few hours. My other boy lives out 24/7 except to come in am and pm for feeds/rug changes etc. This morning he galloped up as soon as I pulled in and started shrieking to come in... so he may end up staying in overnight. I would except him to cope with the change of routine without too much fuss.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I’m in a complete quandary today with the weather. Horses fully clipped yesterday and out last night as usual but in 100 & 200 gm Rhinos respectively. Even with the rain the water was just beading off them this morning so no issues with them getting wet but they felt a bit chilly around the armpits. DP is still in a muzzle due to EMS and I am worried if I stable them tonight he will colic because he will stuff himself silly. At the moment I’m thinking go up to 200 and 300 and put necks on them and leaving DP’s muzzle off. I was planning on removing it in the next week or so anyway.

I’m probably over thinking it so if somebody could slap me to bring me to my senses I would appreciate it because I’m having difficulty making any decisions today.

AandK

Visit site
No, mine are both out 24/7 rugged accordingly and have lots of natural shelter. They are both happy to graze in the worst of the weather we get here and will go to the top to shelter behind the bank of trees if they want a break from the wind.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Mine have a big shelter in the field and usually stable themselves in there if the weather is bad, but the rain/wind was blowing in the wrong direction this morning (and livery has kicked the side of the shelter out) so the were at the bottom under the big hedge feeling sorry for themselves this morning.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
If you asked my 3 whether they would prefer to be out with a choice of connecting paddocks and two field shelters (one north facing, one south facing), or in with hay and a deep bed, they will all choose the latter :rolleyes:.

Wimps.

They are currently still out with rugs and neck covers already on in anticipation. Still dry here atm. Will see if they manage to guilt trip me into bringing them in later, they usually do.

Hexx

Visit site
If it rains very heavily, then yes I would bring him in. He is used to coming in odd nights here and there and is quite happy with a large haynet and a big bed. From about October - April, he is in at night as the YO prefers this. She will sometimes ask us to keep our horses in if the weather is particularly bad in order to keep the fields from turning into a sea of mud. He will stand at the gate when it rains and look very forlorn until someone takes pity on him and brings him in, he does love his bed!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
My sloth would love to be in - the hay and water is within easy reach and she loves lying around.
My hyper horse would love to be out - she doesn't care so much about hay and water, and she's got to be moving.

If I bring them in, hyper horse will be at the door desperate to get to the field tomorrow, whereas sloth will be refusing to leave her stable, and dragging her toes like a child who hates school. :D

AFB

Visit site
Mine tends to be in the come in for winter routine and stay in and I hold off as late as possible to do so.

On a previous yard where we had 24/7/365 TO I would just bring in when the weather dictated.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Mine are generally out 24/7 but I will bring in either for a couple of hours to warm up, or overnight if its wet and windy.

I live on a hill on the edge of the Peak District so the weather can get pretty grotty. They usually let me know if they're fed up and want to come in.

I've never had any issues doing this but mine really aren't in any kind of established routine so they don't mind coming and going.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I’m in a complete quandary today with the weather. Horses fully clipped yesterday and out last night as usual but in 100 & 200 gm Rhinos respectively. Even with the rain the water was just beading off them this morning so no issues with them getting wet but they felt a bit chilly around the armpits. DP is still in a muzzle due to EMS and I am worried if I stable them tonight he will colic because he will stuff himself silly. At the moment I’m thinking go up to 200 and 300 and put necks on them and leaving DP’s muzzle off. I was planning on removing it in the next week or so anyway.

I’m probably over thinking it so if somebody could slap me to bring me to my senses I would appreciate it because I’m having difficulty making any decisions today.
I'd think that by removing muzzle, you might find he will be warmer by a bit. I'd add a neck tho, possibly.....

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
we have 24/7 turnout may to end of oct at the yard then its in at night. really bad rain etc they can shut the fields because they get very water logged.

mine are in at night already, the grass needs to be saved a bit plus the one who we treat as pssm 2 was starting to struggle with the temp changes so this way he is more happy. they will be brought in at lunch time, 1pm today as one will just stand at the gate and then create his own amusement which ends in tears. they normally get brought in from 1pm from nov to march because of the above but also the field will struggle with grass over winter but is perfect for them for the summer and managing the good doer.

wiglet

Visit site
Mine is on full livery so comes in at night all year round. She always stands near the gate at bringing in time and can't wait to come in if it's cold. Or raining. Or windy.
Prior to full livery, she lived out from April - November and never stood near the gate waiting to come in.
Horses are creatures of habit but I don't think they mind being in or out - my girl will do either!

JoannaC

Visit site
Yes my three are at home and have access to the barn most of the time. If it's wet and windy for a period of time i'll shut them in their stables as they tend to run around like idiots otherwise. They don't have a set routine so are pretty chilled whatever I do and because they all do it together. They might have a few nights in before I bring them in properly which is normally January to March.

Nudibranch

Visit site
If it's really, really awful I will bring them in overnight just so they can sleep. The younger one in particular gets noticeably tired when working if the weather has been bad. But it has to be really bad! We have a silly amount of grazing so they just don't need to be in most of the time.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Mine is out overnight normally but with the current heavy rainfall will have to stay in a night or two as the fields can't take it.
I don't think he minds either way to be honest. He quite likes coming in to eat and sleep .

tiahatti

Visit site
My girl lives out. She is a lot happier outside whatever the weather.
Luckily her field doesnt get too muddy. I am so thankful for that.

Esmae

Visit site
I have just fetched mine in. They are elderly, so get cossetted more now. Odd nights through the summer they might come in for weather and I did bring them in in the heat, away from the blasted flies, just for the day and they went out again at night.

SEL

Visit site
They came in for 4 hours this morning because they were having their feet trimmed (just got them in before the torrential stuff - ridiculously relieved!) and they were desperate to go back out. They don't care about mud and puddles, just happy to see mum has moved the fence so they have access to grass - I'm hoping the extra grass will mean they turn their bums to the wind and stick their heads down.

All rugged although I will be taking one his reserve rug down tonight because I'm not 100% convinced of the waterproofing.

Also I haven't been organised to stock up on shavings so they will have to stay out :oops:

Goldenstar

Visit site
All the horse I have atm are perfectly happy coming for one night for instance before hunting .
They are used to being stabled part of every day anyway I never ever leave a horse in the field for 24 hours , this means it’s not a shock to the system if I want them in over night .

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Mine do, more to save the ground really as they both hate getting wet and stamp about in their gateways turning the entrance to clay soup!! Interesting that one or two of you say your horses drag their hooves going out if the weathers bad, my highland is the same, to the point that I start to worry. However, coming in at night hes like a racehorse, cant pick his feet up quick enough so its totally down to preferring his stable and hay net :)