Do you ever learn to sit to a massive jump?

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Just wondering if you ever learn to sit to a horse that has a massive jump. Tried a lovely mare, but her jump is massive and I found it very hard to sit & stay with her!
Thanks

FlyingCircus

Visit site
I could barely ride my gelding's canter when I first sat on him, never mind his jump!
Now I don't notice his canter is mega bouncy and the fact he has a big jump, just get to have a giggle when my friends get on!!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I could barely ride my gelding's canter when I first sat on him, never mind his jump!
Now I don't notice his canter is mega bouncy and the fact he has a big jump, just get to have a giggle when my friends get on!!

I can manage the canter, but her jump is massive like a very well bred show jumper! I'm just an average rider so I was worried if I brought her I would have to just stick to poles!

nuttychestnut

Visit site
She's 6, and bred from French jumping lines.
She's not over jumping as such, but an interesting point. Why is horse buying so full of confusion??!
I have some reservation about this mare as she has done some very big classes as a 5 year old. Time for a chat with the instructor!

be positive

Visit site
I think if she is rideable, especially the canter, then you can learn to get the timing right, it is more about that and getting the feel than actually sitting it, it is also likely she will come down a bit to your level, not implying you are not up to her but if she has been ridden by a pro they will be able to take advantage and use her jump to show her to her best when people come to view her, most will stop being so exuberant after a while ridden by a "normal" rider.
You may find if you go back and try her again and jump her without her being shown to you first she is easier to sit on.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
I'd like to say yes but here is my experience...

My first horse was supposed to be my jumping schoolmaster but totally blew my confidence. 25yo but had only just done his last 3DE and was competition fit. He would see a long stride and balloon the jump, flicking his back end up when he reached the highest point. I managed for a while but one day he took a flier, ballooned it, left me behind, then I caught my bum on the saddle which threw me forwards, then on landing he swung his head up and got me in the face - putting me in hospital.

As much as I would love to say that you will get used to - I never did. Get yourself a good instructor and you might be more successful than me though ;)

nuttychestnut

Visit site
I think if she is rideable, especially the canter, then you can learn to get the timing right, it is more about that and getting the feel than actually sitting it, it is also likely she will come down a bit to your level, not implying you are not up to her but if she has been ridden by a pro they will be able to take advantage and use her jump to show her to her best when people come to view her, most will stop being so exuberant after a while ridden by a "normal" rider.
You may find if you go back and try her again and jump her without her being shown to you first she is easier to sit on.

No offence taken :) I am just an average joe rider!
She is just so sweet and calm on the flat (even after being in for 48 hours) perks up for the jump but stays in her rhythm but her jump just completely threw me! Plus I haven't really jumped since March/April time!

blood_magik

Visit site
yes, my big guy has a massive jump and jumped me out of the saddle a few times in the early days but I'm used to it now.

Buying saddle with big knee blocks was the turning point for me - If he puts in a huge one, I'm not going anywhere and I know it. ;)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Am in similar situation. My new mare when \i tired her has a massive canter - I have not cantered her yet in two months since I have had her but it is so different to my others - she power walks too. Hopefully in time I will sit to her when we get to that stage.

9tails

Visit site
Three times in 5 minutes is the amount of times I fell off when I first tried jumping a crosspole with my mare. I've never known the force that catapulted me right out and over her shoulder every single time! I did get used to it, I rarely fall off now and photos look like we're doing it together.

smja

Visit site
Yes. A saddle that suits you helps (sis prefers big knee blocks, I like almost none), as does doing lots of light seat work (helps your balance, muscle memory, and core strength).

Give it a little while and you won't even notice any more :)

applecart14

Visit site
Just wondering if you ever learn to sit to a horse that has a massive jump. Tried a lovely mare, but her jump is massive and I found it very hard to sit & stay with her!
Thanks

Still not used to my horse popping in the odd huge jump and had him eleven years now! I can sit to them better than I used to but every now and then I get caught out!

I got jumped out the saddle at a show about three years ago now and knocked out! The first class we did was 1m and he jumped lovely and we went clear and got placed, the class after I sat out as it was a Chase me Charlie. Whilst sitting out the class and munching on a burger I got talking to a fellow competitors Mum. I was asking her how her daughter had got on and she remarked that she liked my horse as he had a realy nice bascule and really lifted his hind feet over the jump. I thanked her but never thought anymore of it, until we came to the last fence in the jump off in the second phase of the 1.05m class and the height for the 2nd phase was 1.10 and my horse took off and was over the jump (as if it was 1.40m!!) when I suddenly found myself falling backwards through the air - talk about feeling suprised!

I didn't 'come to' until I was in the cafeteria speaking to the paramedic about ten minutes later and then it was a spinal board, collar and trip to A&E for a CT scan! But when I asked what had happened I was told that my horse had 'jumped me out of the saddle' putting in a huge effort over the fence with his back end!

So in answer to your question ; no, the answer is I don't think you ever learn to sit a massive jump when it comes up unexpected on you!

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I was just wondering if it was inexperience and she might get less erm jumpy (lol) with age. Doesn't sound likely but reading your replies it sounds like you would get used to her with time I think. If you haven't jumped much recently then it's a big ask to ride something like that. She sounds really super :)

EQUIDAE

Visit site
One thing I find is my mare over jumps if I don't ride the jump - ie take the leg off. As long as I keep riding up to the jump she jumps normally.

be positive

Visit site
I like her she does not appear to over jump but does have a loose, soft back that possibly will take some getting used to, especially if you are a bit rusty, she may become easier for you once she is less on her forehand as she comes down a bit steep but nothing that would put me off if buying as a useful allrounder, she seems level headed, has 3 decent paces and although she has done a fair bit she does not seem to have been overproduced so there is plenty to still work on.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I think you'll be fine when you get used to her.

At my last SJ lesson I got left behind and my coach says WHY did you do that it was a perfect shot in what were you thinking. My answer was she jumped before she told me she was going to jump (lol how embarrassing!) but I am getting it right more than wrong these days so I reckon if I can you can :)

budley95

Visit site
You do sort of get used to it! I've had my boy since 2005 and eventually learnt to sit his jump by doing lots of grids and having lots of lessons. Sometimes he'll still have a jump that almost launches me into orbit. Decent jumping saddle has helped a fair bit, but now getting left behind means me holding on to his mouth more than I'd like - I'll don the tin hat for this, but getting left behind now looks like this

Speak to your instructor and put a neckstrap on to help you as you're getting to grips with her if you decide to go ahead :)

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Thanks for the help :)
Showed her to my instructor, if the seller will show her jumping xc then we'll be having a second viewing. Very excited!