Do you find your yard spooky at night?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
For years I have been out to do horses, ponies and sheep at night without even thinking about the dark now suddenly I don't like the dark and keep imagining there is someone out there hiding. How stupid is this! Or is it? Perhaps it's my age or perhaps it's the society we live in now but certainly I don't feel nearly as safe as I used to even two years ago. Do other horse owners feel nervous on their own doing night stables? Does a dog for company help? Or am I just out of practise? I get REALLY annoyed with myself but I don't seem able to cure that knot in my stomach when I go outside once darkness has fallen. Any tips for a nervous old lady very welcome!

Pilib

Visit site
I am usually ok at night.... Unless I let my imagination run away with me or I have watched the walking dead or something like it before going out! I take the dog with me and turn on very light possible if I have given myself the willies! X

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The countryside is far safer than any town or city.

I enjoy the peacefulness of the yard and the fields. The only thing that ever made me jump was a vixen calling very close to me in the fields.

Shay

Visit site
Not spooky as it ghosts and goolies. But I am very aware of how isolated we are and the impact of increasing rural crime. I don't mind being up at night - colic watch etc - but I always check if leaving before the last person that they feel secure alone after dark. And I don't leave if that would leave a child or younger person alone after dark.

Last summer I had a bit of a scare when driving past and seeing our yard gates open (They should be locked), drove up to be confronted by 3 burly men with shotguns. Thankfully they were there with permission to reduce the rabbit population. But it did make me think what on earth I thought I was doing going up alone into what could have been a very dangerous situation.

ozpoz

Visit site
No, I love it and all the peace and bird sounds in the night. I look at the stars and feel grateful for the quiet.

Zero00000

Visit site
I love being at the yard at night, if only for the fact that there isn't usually many people around?
Some nights I can be fine, other nights my imagination will run wild, especially the dark corners/bushes.

I have the same sort of fear when snorkeling, in water that isn't really that deep (in relation to the ocean) but has rocks and hidden crevices/lots of plant growth.

I never used to, I think as you get older you become more aware of what can be lurking.

I have a high powered torch and use that if I'm a bit worried, what's that over 'boom' light... a bush haha 😂

Micropony

Visit site
I love it! Find it really peaceful. Biggest worry is tripping over things people have left lying around in the less well lit spots. The yard is a bit of a rabbit warren and there are lots of dark little corners and cut throughs. My sharer used to hate it though and found it really spooky at night. She would put all the lights on and plan carefully so she didn't have to venture into the tucked away places after everyone else had left!

Stuckinmud

Visit site
I do if I let myself. I tend to just get on and keep myself busy then I don't think about it however if I stop for a coffee I have chance to think about it I do get scared.

dornrose

Visit site
Not now the horses live at home as always feel safe and generally have the dogs out with me. I used to work on a yard and did the occasional overnight stay and always did a check before going to bed, I love the sound of the horses happily munching on a hay net but did get spooked if one of the security lights got set off.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Quite lucky at our yard as owners house is 1 field from the yard and they always leave a big light on in their driveway until they know weve all finished. The yard has plenty of lights including the sensor ones for when you get out of your car and the house lights are quite reassuring when you are across the fields. I do feel much safer in the yard or fields than I ever do in more built up areas. Funnily enough our yard cat is quite good company when its dark and youre on your own, she always comes into whichever barn you are in and sits and watches. I figure that whilst she is sat quite calmly there cant be much going on around us!

caileag

Visit site
Imagination running wild conjuring up sinister, creepy stuff at every noise and strange shadow - bit like being a horse ! Seriously though it can feel a bit vulnerable especially where you hear about thefts in the area and you're the last to leave.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Its not real people I am scared of! Its werewolves and demons. I have an incredibly vivid imagination and it runs away with itself on a regular basis. It annoys me as I know I'm being ridiculous but that doesnt stop it happening!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I'm totally happy wandering around at the yard no worries at all. Don't really think about what could happen, it's peaceful and I'm relaxed there.

Work after dark , different matter.....spooky old building at night

hairycob

Visit site
A few years ago we were at a yard where the hay was in a pole barn behind an old Georgian brick barn and n.ext to a huge modern barn with no lighting. I went out one winter evening to get hay and climbed up to the top of the heap to chuck a couple of bales down. Up on top I heard the sound of something being moved in that the modern barn where all the expensive farm equipment was. Terrified I switched off my head torch & flattened myself against the top of the stack. Another noise as something metal clattered to the concrete floor in the barn. To my relief, in the moonlight, I saw a fox shoot out of the barn.

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I love doing late night checks, the horses all munching on their hay but I wouldn't want to do it without dogs. I did have one very spooky night with dogs once years and years ago that I think I've talked about before on here. I had checked the mares in the bottom yard and went up to do the stallions in the top yard. I had five or six( it was nearly thirty years ago) border collies with me and as we walked up the track they ran on ahead but suddenly started growling, hackles up and all got in single file behind me leaving me as first line of defence. I couldn't see any thing but they carried on growling. My knees were shaking, my legs like jelly and my heart was pounding so hard I thought whoever was there would be able to hear me. I had to check the boys so had no choice but to carry on. I go round the corner to the barn and the growling increases in intensity and all I can see is the wheelbarrow that someone had left in the wrong place. As we got closer the dogs stopped growling and tiptoed up to check out the scary barrow. Terrifying me over a piggin barrow.

LHIS

Visit site
Yes and no. No because I love the peace the quiet. Yes because it's dark, really dark, if something happened I'd be pretty much stuffed, there's not any immediate neighbours and mobile signal is patchy at best. If I'm feeling wimpy I take my dog with me (a tiny Patterdale with the heart of a lion) and the brightest light I can find. I also talk to myself a lot.

[100323]

Visit site
Many years ago I was on a yard on my own and could feel somebody watching me. I was getting more and more nervous, looking all around and could noit see anybody. Then I looked up. An owl was sitting on a post watching me. Lol.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Only experienced one spooky yard. Think it was just the fact it was next to a big old grey barely lived in manor house. Reminded me of the film, 'The Mist'.
Aside from that, previous yards have been fine. I think it is to do with the lighting.

Now mine live out, and I'm more than happy to walk around their field checking on them.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Ours all live out and I'm quite happy checking them all in the dark. I often walk old cob across a field and then through some woods to the winter field in the dark. I always think we are probably the scariest things in the woods and never worry! I don't usually use a torch as it tends to ruin my night vision.

Years ago someone I knew went into a barn to fetch down some hay in the dark. She was jumped on by what she thought was a tramp sleeping there and was about to scream the place down - but then felt some hooves and realised that she had disturbed April the goat who had settled there for the night!

Patchworkpony

Visit site
I read an article that said when night comes the human brain automatically becomes more nervous and on high alert - something to do with our ancient ancestors.

skint1

Visit site
One of my horses lives on a farm that is being swallowed up by the town. That place scares me at night because there ARE people around, parked in gateways etc and I always wonder if they might happen along to the yard without us knowing. There is also a back room on that yard that I have never liked, day or night, I don't know why, as I am not a spooky person, but it's always gives me the creeps.

My other horses live on a farm miles out of the way, that never worries me day or night, except for the drive there!