Do you get the denist out for youngsters???

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Just as important for the EDT to visit, as it is for the farrier to see them regularly.

The EDT's are good because they don't have sedation as a back up, like vets do, so are used to working sympathetically with young one's instead of reaching for the needle.
I would not permit a vet to sedate a foal for a routine exam unless there was a medical reason.

amandap

Visit site
A few years ago I asked an EDT to check my 2 year olds teeth and mouth as his Dam has a wave mouth. He did reluctantly saying there was little point when he still had his baby teeth! So I'm interested if those with baby teeth are getting routine work done?
I think it's probably a good idea to get babies checked to get them used to mouth inspection by professionals if nothing else.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think it's probably a good idea to get babies checked to get them used to mouth inspection by professionals if nothing else.

This is very true, plus checking that everything is progressing well (caps are coming off with no trouble) and that no problems have occurred.

HBM1

Visit site
Just a quick question... this is my first youngster and at the first yard I was at they said 'oh no i dont bother with any dentist till their ready for backing' but then new yard 'oh yes should have dentist out regulary'

So dont really know what to do, I wouldnt mind just giving him a check up as a few baby teeth are popping out... even managed to keep one and took it to work to gross out all my collegues haha!

Also, does anyone know dentists in Lancashire / Burnley area???

Some of my youngsters have reached three without needing anything doing to their teeth. However, when my youngest was checked he needed an enormous filing down by the dentist at the age of 6 months!! They are all very different, but should at least have a check up 6 monthly I think.

HBM1

Visit site
A few years ago I asked an EDT to check my 2 year olds teeth and mouth as his Dam has a wave mouth. He did reluctantly saying there was little point when he still had his baby teeth! So I'm interested if those with baby teeth are getting routine work done?

I don't understand his logic to be honest, as baby teeth can get sharp edges as well - as my little man's did.